• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,489 posts in this topic

truetoliferomances22.jpg

If you want thrills, don't wear a one-piece swimsuit. doh!

Which person are you talking to?

Recently in from CGC...a raw copy I submitted myself.

This is one of the tougher Modern Love issues...in fact, one of the three Modern Love issue that Overstreet calls "scarce" (4-6). There used to be 3 copies on the census, now there are 4. :grin:

modernlove4a_f.jpg

This is one of the tougher Modern Love issues...in fact, one of the three Modern Love issue that Overstreet calls "scarce" (4-6). There used to be 3 copies on the census, now there are 4. :grin:

modernlove4a_f.jpg

I just read the cover story... That poor doctor gets dragged to party after party, and he's just trying to build a practice so he can start his own hospital! Poor guy. He performs an emergency appendix operation while he's about to fall asleep. On the way home he crashes his car, but his faithful nurse takes care of him. She's the one who really loves him -- not that society skank dragging him around like a boytoy and holding him hostage with her hospital seed money! I won't tell you how this story ends....I'll leave you in suspense...

modernlove4a_f.jpg

(worship)

modernlove4a_f.jpg

Nice book Ed! ALL these EC romance books are scarce some a little more than others.

Nice book Ed! ALL these EC romance books are scarce some a little more than others.

Thanks Robot (and Sqeggs)! Yep...here's a "less scarce" one (8 vs 4 on the census...twice as many! :D ) from the same submission...

modernlove8_f.jpg

That's a beauty. Actually looks nicer than the ML 4 that received an 8.0.

When did the GFCs start?

When did the GFCs start?

It's nonlinear. And, it depends on whether we're talking about Max Gaines or Bill Gaines.

Max Gaines kept file copies of the Picture Stories titles dating all the way back to 1944'ish (and even prior to that, when the Bible books were DCs instead of ECs). For whatever reason, Max chose to not keep file copies of anything else (so, there are basically no file copies of any of the Pre-Trend titles...other than Picture Stories).

Looks like Bill started keeping file copies beginning in January 1950 or so...with Crime Patrol #15 and War Against Crime #10. But...he didn't keep file copies of every title...Modern Love is a good example. Even though Modern Love lasted until September 1950, no file copies.

So, basically, Max kept file copies of the Picture Stories books (from 1944-1947'ish). Bill kept file copies of all the New Trend, New Direction, and Picto-Fiction titles (which all started 1950 or later), plus a couple issues of Crime Patrol (#15 & #16), and a couple issues of War Against Crime (#10 & #11) (in both cases, the last two issues of those titles).

Stated differently...If a title started before 1950 (e.g., Modern Love started mid-1949) and wasn't one of the Picture Stories books, there are no file copies...except for the last two issues each of Crime Patrol & War Against Crime.

I think. :D

Thanks Robot (and Sqeggs)! Yep...here's a "less scarce" one (8 vs 4 on the census...twice as many! :D ) from the same submission...

modernlove8_f.jpg

That's a beauty. Actually looks nicer than the ML 4 that received an 8.0.

When did the GFCs start?

And quite frankly, the cover depictions of both Modern Love's (and your more detailed description of the first one) really make me want to read them!

When did the GFCs start?

It's nonlinear. And, it depends on whether we're talking about Max Gaines or Bill Gaines.

Max Gaines kept file copies of the Picture Stories titles dating all the way back to 1944'ish (and even prior to that, when the Bible books were DCs instead of ECs). For whatever reason, Max chose to not keep file copies of anything else (so, there are basically no file copies of any of the Pre-Trend titles...other than Picture Stories).

Looks like Bill started keeping file copies beginning in January 1950 or so...with Crime Patrol #15 and War Against Crime #10. But...he didn't keep file copies of every title...Modern Love is a good example. Even though Modern Love lasted until September 1950, no file copies.

So, basically, Max kept file copies of the Picture Stories books (from 1944-1947'ish). Bill kept file copies of all the New Trend, New Direction, and Picto-Fiction titles (which all started 1950 or later), plus a couple issues of Crime Patrol (#15 & #16), and a couple issues of War Against Crime (#10 & #11) (in both cases, the last two issues of those titles).

Stated differently...If a title started before 1950 (e.g., Modern Love started mid-1949) and wasn't one of the Picture Stories books, there are no file copies...except for the last two issues each of Crime Patrol & War Against Crime.

I think. :D

Great stuff. Thanks for the info.

modernlove4a_f.jpg

:cloud9:

modernlove8_f.jpg

:cloud9::cloud9:

I was at Terry's show - great show btw - and there was some private action that backed up the strong price of the Pictorial Romances 17. Bumble Kitty is OK with me mentioning that he sold these CGC Baker slabs at the show. To a dealer. The ask was accepted, grudgingly, but accepted it was, as counters were not an option.

Teen-Age Temptations 6 7.0 (tied for highest grade) $1200

Pictorial Romances 24 7.0 (tied for highest grade) $1200

Romance is following the general trend of what's happening in the market. Will demand be there to buy up the quality supply of books (with all grade levels represented, from low to high)?

CL Winter Feature has 12 books, including 2 Bakers, one of which is a monster Cinderella Love 26 high 8.0 White. All the other books are very notable for different reasons.

HA Sig has a more moderate offering (only in relation to CL) of 4 books, including 2 Bakers, one of which is the new breakout Going Steady 14. The other books are very solid.

While CL and HA go head to head on top shelf books, CC runs their Monthly with a big 13 book lot, including 6 Bakers, one of which is the fun sparse Diary Secrets 30. Some restored books will probably offer attractive entry points.

Guys - this is quite remarkable. When the Crippens rolled out 10 years ago like a giant tsunami, the release was long (weekly, over a year, iirc), large, but most importantly, alphabetical. When the A's were done, they were done, and you knew they wouldn't be revisiting those titles. But now great stuff is popping left and right, and who knows what gems are coming, and when. Very exciting!

Whether you're a dedicated romance collector, or a drive-by fan boy looking for just one representative purchase, this is shaping up to be a great year to be a buyer, with something for everyone at various price points. Yes, prices are strong, especially on Bakers and Coles, but remember strength is relative, and romance is as inexpensive relative to other genres as it ever was.

Enjoy the bounty - I know I am!