• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French auction
3 3

117 posts in this topic

fees fees fees! These foreign auctions hit US bidders hard.

watch out for those ** pieces!

(Still gonna bid though!) :sumo:

Edited by Bird

14 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Euro is expensive and I want to say 20 % buyers fee! 

I believe it's 24%, with an additional VAT tax of 24% of that BP.  You're supposed to get the VAT back, but they have months to do that.

And if you go through Invaluable (the auction has shown up there), it's 29%.  IMO, I'll pay the extra 5% as an insurance policy to be able to use a CC.

andy

On 2/9/2017 at 5:10 PM, Cleangone said:

I believe it's 24%, with an additional VAT tax of 24% of that BP.  You're supposed to get the VAT back, but they have months to do that.

And if you go through Invaluable (the auction has shown up there), it's 29%.  IMO, I'll pay the extra 5% as an insurance policy to be able to use a CC.

andy

Question maybe you could answer for me please: the VAT is just a % of the BP and not the hammer, correct? So 3000 euros bid becomes 3000 + 870 (29% of 3000 as BP) + 174 (VAT, 20% of 870)?

okay, registered and got my paddle number. Put in a bid this morning on invaluable as well. What is the VIG here, 35% or something after VAT, and we talk about HA fees killing sales.:sumo:

2 hours ago, Bird said:

okay, registered and got my paddle number. Put in a bid this morning on invaluable as well. What is the VIG here, 35% or something after VAT, and we talk about HA fees killing sales.:sumo:

I think you also have to account for the inevitable outrageous shipping and handling price.

That said, I'll put in my maximum bid tonight and lose in the morning. I am not going higher than I could have gotten the piece for last year (but passed when Albert Moy had the one I want).