• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87 Color Variation.

18 posts in this topic

Interesting. The CGC 9.8 on the left is my graded U.S copy and the non CGC on the right is my original Canadian copy. Notice the stark difference in the orange vs pink background color. It is much more stinking in person as well.

15pehs1.jpg?1

Edited by shane1956

The CGC 9.8 on the left is my graded U.S copy and the non CGC on the right is my original Canadian copy.

I copied the image and got a working link for you;

6929FE86-A860-4D59-8830-E6529FD0DBFF.jpg

What makes you say that the book on the right is a Canadian version when both the pricing info and the Spidey logo is exactly the same as the US version on the left? ???

I live in Canada , I bought it the day it came out from a store in Canada. That's Canadian enough for me.

When people are referring to Canadian versions, they are talking about the newsstand copies (with a UPC barcode) that have a different price than a U.S. edition.

Both copies look nice BTW! (thumbs u

Not turn turn this into another thread but I have hundreds of rack comics I bought as a kid in a small Canadian town that had both U.S and CAN prices listed along with a UPC code. They specifically have the CAN price below the U.S. price.Every single one of them does. You will also note that the direct edition of NM #87 on the left has $1.00 U.S and below it $1.25 Canadian.

What does it need to be Canadian ? A single Canadian price? Thanks.

Edited by shane1956

Not turn turn this into another thread but I have hundreds of rack comics I bought as a kid in a small Canadian town that had both U.S and CAN prices listed along with a UPC code. They specifically have the CAN price below the U.S. price.Every single one of them does. You will also note that the direct edition of NM #87 on the left has $1.00 U.S and below it $1.25 Canadian.

What does it need to be Canadian ? A single Canadian price? Thanks.

It's more about what the publishers were doing for Canada, not what Canadian collectors were doing.

For Marvel and DC books starting at October 1982, there is a newsstand (barcode) version with a Canadian-only price.

Marvel kept it going until August 1986, and D.C. had different Canadian pricing to September 1988.

Not every book from Marvel and DC in that window of time has a Canadian newsstand (variant) price. Batman The Dark Knight Returns, for example, only has direct edition.

Find a direct edition (no barcode) in the timeframe mentioned and check both prices (because it shows both US and Canadian prices).

Then, find a newsstand edition (with the barcode) which has only the Canadian price (shown on the direct edition).

That's a Canadian newsstand. (thumbs u

Back on topic, New Mutants #87 is from 1990. There were no Canadian (only) newsstand editions for Marvel or DC in 1990.

I don't think it's a variant. That orange color is unique and probably played a little havoc on the printing presses in terms of consistency.

I have a few copies that are a beautiful, bright burnt orange and some that pop less. Personally, I do like the brighter colors though.

I am sure its just a difference in the ink levels at the press. I am sure the cover was marked Y100% M100%. Given the nature of offset printing and the operator running it can have wild variations.

Magenta is also the most susceptible color to fading. Have you ever seen signage outdoors or in the window of a store when the parts that are supposed to be red are a mustard color or straight up yellow.

Also, it was not uncommon for high print runs to run at different printers too. If a printing company like rr donnelly or world color had presses nearer the east coast and west coast it would be cheeper on distribution/shipping costs. Multiple presses can have variations.

I am not saying this is what is going on here.

I believe it is just a variation of magenta ink at the press.

Printing Ink 101  

Magenta + Yellow = Bright Red  

Magenta looks more like a pinkish color when its on paper.  That's why they add the yellow to brighten it up. In this case, the red clearly needed to be added, not the yellow as you can see more red is lacking than yellow.  Red fountain could have been running dry? Could have cut the red back a bit to save on ink?  who knows...I do know it's NOT a "variant"