• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Ten Batman issues from the Bronze Age

67 posts in this topic

Also interesting to note that in terms of slabbed copies, Detective 405 have by far the fewest out of the 3 books in question. Looks like Detective 411 have about twice as many copies slabbed while Batman 232 have about 10 times as many slabbed copies.

Probably means that there are possibly a lot of raw copies of Detective 405 out there just waiting to be slabbed once there is any kind of uptick in the price. hm

.... this is so true...... I see it inching up and I keep getting outbid in my half hearted efforts to acquire one. One day I'm just going to mannup and get one. I love the cover and the book definitely foreshadows the Al Ghul mythos. Many of the non-Adams Bat books from this period were good, they were just overshadowed. Younger collectors may have trouble understanding that, but I guess you just had to be there at the time to truly "get" the Adams factor. While there were quite a few good artists then, Adams was really the first to pull off that almost realistic approach and we ate it up. As far as comics went in the early 70's, Adams was like the equivalent of a UFO landing in Times Square..... so other books without his touch kind of languished. T put it into perspective..... in the mid 70's, I paid 5 bucks for an X-Men 1 ('63....) in VF/NM while a fine plus copy of GL/GA 76 was 10 bucks, and I was lucky to get one. As for the 411..... the cover has really grown on me since I got one..... I like covers that actually have the Key's first appearance character actually on the cover. Today's new approach to publishing has allowed some very talented artists to emerge..... with story arcs and advanced scheduling.... but back in the deadline days of the early 70's.... Adams was quite a phenomenon.... and there was no Previews Magazine back then...except for maybe CBG..... so you kind of had to luck out when looking for new books with Adams work inside.... I remember stumbling across Batman 243 on a spinner, recognizing the Adams cover, and being blown away when I opened it to find he did the story inside also. Back then Adams and Kane were the artists we loved to hate..... doing mostly awesome covers on books with rather lackluster interiors.... The Adams c/a books were prized...... I still remember completing my Adams C/A collection.... a little over a hundred books.... think it was All Star Western 13 that was the last I needed :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

.... The Adams c/a books were prized...... I still remember completing my Adams C/A collection.... a little over a hundred books.... think it was All Star Western 13 that was the last I needed :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Y'know Jimbo, that would make a great one a day thread over here, sort of like Gator is doing all the Centaurs over in Gold...just a thought ... No pressure... :baiting:

C'mon, :foryou: puhleeeeze????

Edited by Readcomix

I wish I could, brother..... I lost that collection in a house fire almost 30 years ago.... there was a cool thread.... started by Dover, that was chock full of Adams books.... I checked it out often.... it would be well worth digging it up. GOD BLESS...

I wish I could, brother..... I lost that collection in a house fire almost 30 years ago.... there was a cool thread.... started by Dover, that was chock full of Adams books.... I checked it out often.... it would be well worth digging it up. GOD BLESS...

Jimbo, condolences, I had no idea....thank God you are ok, sad as it is to lose property such as a home and beloved possessions within...

That was so long ago..... I hardly think of it now. It was my fault, too..... I had a horrendous drinking problem then...... came home one night after partying a couple days straight, and passed out smoking a cigarette. :boo: There were enough books in that collection to buy a house today. GOD BLESS...