• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zolnerowich Inside and Out
3 3

82 posts in this topic

I've wanted to start this thread for quite a while so I woke up this morning did a few other things and decided today was the day to get this conversation going.

I have enjoyed going through other threads (like the current Dan Decarlo thread) that were started about certain artists. The detailed discussion and great scans are super useful and interesting to learn. I have enjoyed the other threads and wanted to start one about one of my favorite GA artists Dan Zolnerowich.

It is my intention through this thread for anyone to share cover scans of Dan Zolnerowich work, discuss details about his work, talk rarity, show commissioned art by him, and talk about his career.....etc. Basically anything goes. All contributions will be appreciated.

What I would specifically like to see also in this thread is some scans and discussion about his INTERIOR art. A majority of it I know many have not seen.

Thank you to all in advance for the conversation, scans, and knowledge shared about this great artist.

Dan Zolnerowich started working for Eiser-lgner Studio in 1939, and is most famous for his works for Fiction House. Later in the 1950s, he changed his name to Dan Zolne. Fortunately for collectors of his work, he signed a majority of his covers with Zolnerowich.

Dan Zolnerowich had many Fiction House covers for Jumbo, Planet, Fight and Jungle.

Here is his first cover for Jungle Comics. Any book I post, I will clarify if I own it or not.

I own this one (thumbs u

image_zpsl7mi3kvi.jpeg

When I see artists like Zolnerowich and others from that era with such great talent, it depresses me to think how little they were paid. I know "funny book" creators were not highly thought of in the art/media industry but goodness, these folks had great talent and invested hours of sweat and time with the ever-present deadline.

With all that, they were proud of their work and it showed. It seems like artists from 70s on produced assembly line artwork with relatively un-unique styles and they even get the benefit of owning their art and creations unlike the artists of yore.

Zolne is one of my favs. :cloud9:

When I first started collecting I and several other collectors I knew thought his name was Zolne Rowich due to the way he staggered his signature on some covers.

I'm pretty sure a boardie posted a slabbed book where CGC noted the artist as "Zolne Rowich".

Dan Zolnerowich had many Fiction House covers for Jumbo, Planet, Fight and Jungle.

Here is his first cover for Jungle Comics. Any book I post, I will clarify if I own it or not.

I own this one (thumbs u

image_zpsl7mi3kvi.jpeg

Great looking copy of one of my favorite covers.

Zolnerowich is one of those artists that I hadn't heard of before starting to collect GA books about 8 years ago. He quickly became one of my favorite cover artists.

I haven't seen much of his interior work though and look forward to seeing some posted in this thread.

When I first started collecting I and several other collectors I knew thought his name was Zolne Rowich due to the way he staggered his signature on some covers.

I'm pretty sure a boardie posted a slabbed book where CGC noted the artist as "Zolne Rowich".

That's funny, I thought the same thing when I first started noticing his work.

The placement of his name is always hidden but very "findable".

To help PS Artbooks / Roy Thomas complete the Planet Comics Compendiums I answered his request for scans of Planet Comics 15. I cracked my copy out of the slab and scanned all of the pages.

PlanetComics15cgc15_zps7508f085.jpg

If Zolnerowich did any interior art for Planet Comics 15 I can upload it when I get home. In the meantime, enjoy his fantastic cover!

*** I checked the Grand Comics Database, and Zolnerowich did NOT do any interior art for Planet 15. Sorry guys!

Edited by Artboy99

To help PS Artbooks / Roy Thomas complete the Planet Comics Compendiums I answered his request for scans of Planet Comics 15. I cracked my copy out of the slab and scanned all of the pages.

PlanetComics15cgc15_zps7508f085.jpg

If Zolnerowich did any interior art for Planet Comics 15 I can upload it when I get home. In the meantime, enjoy his fantastic cover!

*** I checked the Grand Comics Database, and Zolnerowich did NOT do any interior art for Planet 15. Sorry guys!

That was a great gesture on your part to help them complete the project and let collectors and readers see the inside of this rare book.

Planet 15 is one of Zolnerowich rarest covers. :applause:

He was the cover artist on the three rarest issues from Fiction House :

Planet 15

Jumbo 31

Rangers 2

There are several others that could easily be added to this list like Planet 13 or Planet 14 which he also was the cover artist.

I placed this artist on my personal revered list the day I first got the Photo Journals. Back then, when there was no internet, seeing them cover after cover was incredible, even shocking, really.

I wasn't aware he did interior art... that's cool. Which issues?

I do know he drew some for Doll Man quarterly (Quality) and did a story in Doll man quarterly #9. I also remember seeing an auction on Heritage for a full story drawn titled " Super-American."

I think it was for Fight #16. I am sure there are more and I am hoping to unearth some of them in this thread.

Zolnerowich is underrated for sure. His best covers are as good as anybody's.

I've posted this one in other threads, but I don't mind posting it again.

Fight20Aresz.jpg

Beautiful Book. :applause:

This is a perfect example of Zolnerowich cover style. A lot of details and implied action as well as some type of depth perception (the wall in the background and the prisoner).

Zolnerowich is underrated for sure. His best covers are as good as anybody's.

I've posted this one in other threads, but I don't mind posting it again.

Fight20Aresz.jpg

Beautiful Book. :applause:

This is a perfect example of Zolnerowich cover style. A lot of details and implied action as well as some type of depth perception (the wall in the background and the prisoner).

it is fantastic!