• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Cleveland -- March 17-19, 2017
1 1

73 posts in this topic

At least the list of celebs coming to the Portland show seem to be even worse then the Cleveland show and that show is only a couple weeks away.

Everyone else is worse, but the Orphan Black girl fresh off her Emmy is HUGE, she hasn't done that many signings yet.

What is Orphan Black? Never heard of it but I'll look it up tonight.

Awesome sci fi show on BBC America. She plays multiple clones of herself. Its all very impressive.

Damn you Revat! I started watching the show last night and it's really good. You didn't tell me there is 4 or 5 seasons for me to catch up on! Don't know how I'm going to fit in another show.

At least the list of celebs coming to the Portland show seem to be even worse then the Cleveland show and that show is only a couple weeks away.

Everyone else is worse, but the Orphan Black girl fresh off her Emmy is HUGE, she hasn't done that many signings yet.

What is Orphan Black? Never heard of it but I'll look it up tonight.

Awesome sci fi show on BBC America. She plays multiple clones of herself. Its all very impressive.

Damn you Revat! I started watching the show last night and it's really good. You didn't tell me there is 4 or 5 seasons for me to catch up on! Don't know how I'm going to fit in another show.

at least its network tv so the eps are only 40ish minutes (w/o commercials) and there's only 10-12 eps per season prestige style.

So really its just like 50 eps. Which is like 2 Seasons of 24 or any other network show.

Whoever decided this should occur over St Patrick's Day weekend should be shot. Repeatedly.

I'll probably wander down there Saturday to check it out but I'm not sure what it will do to attendance.

On the other hand, the Cincinnati Con often overlaps with the Oktoberfest down there so maybe this was deliberate?

Whoever decided this should occur over St Patrick's Day weekend should be shot. Repeatedly.

I'll probably wander down there Saturday to check it out but I'm not sure what it will do to attendance.

On the other hand, the Cincinnati Con often overlaps with the Oktoberfest down there so maybe this was deliberate?

Oktoberfest in Columbus is a ho hum holiday. St Patty's Day in Cleveland is an all day drunk fest (especially if it's above 50 degrees). Saturday will be busy but you can pretty much forget about Friday sales. Giving them $1,100 for basically a two day Con is beyond my budget or reasoning.

I can't comment on Columbus, but I believe the Oktoberfest in Cincinnati is one of the largest in the world. I've been down there the past few years and it's not quite the drunken rage of St Patrick's in Cleveland but the streets are packed and a portion of the city is closed down to facilitate.

I doubt it helps with con attendance though - I was just trying to speculate as to why some insufficiently_thoughtful_person would think that date would work well for Cleveland lol

I can't comment on Columbus, but I believe the Oktoberfest in Cincinnati is one of the largest in the world. I've been down there the past few years and it's not quite the drunken rage of St Patrick's in Cleveland but the streets are packed and a portion of the city is closed down to facilitate.

I doubt it helps with con attendance though - I was just trying to speculate as to why some insufficiently_thoughtful_person would think that date would work well for Cleveland lol

I've been wondering that myself since the dates were announced. I can only assume they got a great price and had to cut cost.

I've been wondering that myself since the dates were announced. I can only assume they got a great price and had to cut cost.

Seriously poor planning - would have been better if it were at the IX Center or somewhere less than 2 blocks away from the parade route on Friday. Parking will be a nightmare then.

Might head in on Saturday, Cavs are on the road that weekend so it may be a good day to sneak into downtown.

Good luck to the dealers!

-bc

Cold all week (35 degrees or so) - but at least the snow storm should be gone by then.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Cold all week (35 degrees or so) - but at least the snow storm should be gone by then.

At least Wizard hopes it is...assuming they can get their trucks into Cleveland for load-in.

33 minutes ago, mysterio said:

At least Wizard hopes it is...assuming they can get their trucks into Cleveland for load-in.

That could be tricky unless they are coming on Wednesday since it should all be cleared up by Thursday.  The cold could actually help out the attendance a bit since the warm weather had people thinking of outdoor activities this spring.

On 3/13/2017 at 9:25 AM, 1Cool said:

That could be tricky unless they are coming on Wednesday since it should all be cleared up by Thursday.  The cold could actually help out the attendance a bit since the warm weather had people thinking of outdoor activities this spring.

Just saw a prediction of 6-10" of snow for Cleveland through Wednesday, with more rain/snow predicted for Fri/Sat. Definitely not ideal conditions. 

Yet to see it here but we do have a couple inches of snow with more slowly coming down.  If they would have had the Con in February it would have been 60 degrees with the fluke weather we had last month.

Just now, 1Cool said:

Yet to see it here but we do have a couple inches of snow with more slowly coming down.  If they would have had the Con in February it would have been 60 degrees with the fluke weather we had last month.

Sooner or later one of these northern cons during winter is going to bite Wizard in the @ss.

My money is on this one with it being on a cold St Patrick Day weekend.  I've heard from the 1 dealer who I know is still setting up that there is only a handful of comic book sellers at the show.  No one is willing to pony up $1,100 for a 10x10 booth with all the risk of the show.  At least their celebrities this year should have been very cheap.

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It does not appear there are many actual comic dealers setting up at this show from what I see on their site. Is this a decent show to find eclectic gold books?(shrug)

I doubt it. From last year I remember seeing maybe 4 booths with any gold books and Harley probably had the largest selection. I recall a reasonable mix of silver/bronze and obviously plenty of copper/modern but even last year the best way I could describe it was as a "pop-culture con", not a comic convention. I may still go down Saturday but we'll see how I'm feeling about it when the time comes around.

12 hours ago, Cascaders27 said:

I doubt it. From last year I remember seeing maybe 4 booths with any gold books and Harley probably had the largest selection. I recall a reasonable mix of silver/bronze and obviously plenty of copper/modern but even last year the best way I could describe it was as a "pop-culture con", not a comic convention. I may still go down Saturday but we'll see how I'm feeling about it when the time comes around.

+1.  My daughter has never been to a big Con so I may go just to let her buy some stuff.  The selection of comics should be pretty pitiful.