• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about an old Overstreet Price Guide "Want to Buy ad"

13 posts in this topic

When I was a kid I remember an ad from the Overstreet guide and was wondering about whatever happen to that person in the ad. I'm thinking the ad was in the guide in 1975 or 1981 - 1982. It was in one of those or all of those, can't remember. Those were the guides I had as a kid.

It was a full page ad with the drawing of a cowboy (I say "cowboy" because I believe the drawing of the person had a cowboy hat and cowboy boots). He was reclining in a chair (?) and pulling money from his pockets that was falling to the ground and little people were bringing comics to him and picking up all the cash falling from his pockets in exchange for their comics.

Maybe the person's name was Bruce?

Just always loved that ad as a kid and wished I could've been the cowboy with money for comics falling from my pockets.

Thanks for any help!

The last time I saw Bruce was at a comic book auction at Sotheby's in Manhattan. He was talking to Steve Geppi after Steve won a Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge painting for 100K. I'm guessing about 25 years ago.

The 1992 Sotheby's auction was amazing. Just amazing.

On an unrelated note, carl barks used to respond to fan letters with free sketches. My friend had written to him asking if he had any comic OA he could give him and his response was that he had given it all away to other kids who had written him, but here's a sketch...this was late 60s/early 70s.

can you imagine?

Kirby had some production art made into mini posters and usually was happy to meet and greet young fans and autograph them for them.

Just don't drop by on the Fourth of July while he was having a family cookout.