• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK BEYOND (7/22/16)

220 posts in this topic

Ahhh - I didn't realize this.

Remaining release schedule:

• Argentina: 1 September 2016
  • Brazil: 1 September 2016
  • Chile: 1 September 2016
  • Colombia: 1 September 2016
  • Panama: 1 September 2016
  • Peru: 1 September 2016
  • China: 2 September 2016
  • Mexico: 2 September 2016
  • Japan: 21 October 2016

China results were stronger than expected.

DEADLINE: ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Beams Into China With $31.3M Bow

Paramount/Skydance’s Star Trek Beyond got a boost this weekend, landing at the top of the international box office chart thanks to a $31.3M debut in China. The full frame was worth $37M across 40 markets for an offshore cume to date of $131.1M.

China’s strong Friday-Sunday take is 107% above Star Trek Into Darkness’ 2013 bow. That film went on to $57M in the PROC. The China debut is also bigger than the $30M STB launched to in 37 offshore markets in late July.

Beyond comes with Chinese investment from Alibaba and Huahua Media which mounted a targeted promo campaign. Popular variety show Happy Camp devoted an episode to the film with participation from stars Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto.

Domestic: $154,293,322 (54.1%)

Foreign: $131,100,000 (45.9%)

Worldwide: $285,393,322

So people are in here comparing this movie to Tarzan and knocking it and it hasn't even finished playing globally yet. :roflmao:

Too funny!

It still has weeks ahead before completion. Especially with a 21 October release in Japan.

So people are in here comparing this movie to Tarzan and knocking it and it hasn't even finished playing globally yet. :roflmao:

Too funny!

The bottom line is Star Trek lost it's mojo.

Who would have thunk Deadpool and Suicide Squad would trounce it?

This is Star Trek. An iconic franchise. It shouldn't have to limp into 300 million world wide.

Imagine if Star Wars couldn't get to 300 million?

I liked the latest Star Trek,but apparently the rest of mainstream didn't care to go see it.

What's surprising is how bad it did box officewise in America.

Could it be the demographics?

The millenials don't seem to care for Star Trek.

Star Trek is now a 50 year old franchise.

Too funny!

This is Star Trek. An iconic franchise. It shouldn't have to limp into 300 million world wide.

I liked the latest Star Trek,but apparently the rest of mainstream didn't care to go see it.

You are making it sound like this is some new revelation. Have you seen the box office returns on some of the previous Star Trek movies? There is a reason there is a 7 year gap between the last Star Trek movie and the reboot.

Edited by rjrjr

Too funny!

You are making it sound like this is some new revelation. Have you seen the box office returns on some of the previous Star Trek movies? There is a reason there is a 7 year gap between the last Star Trek movie and the reboot.

According to Ebay data only Star Wars,Batman,Transformers and Pokemon have sold more merchandise than Star Trek these last 10 years.

So for this Star Trek movie to be beat by Tarzan at the box office tells me that there was a major fumble at the box office. Also you would think with this being Star Trek's 50th anniversary that it would have gotten a bump?

Too funny!

According to Ebay data only Star Wars,Batman,Transformers and Pokemon have sold more merchandise than Star Trek these last 10 years.

So for this Star Trek movie to be beat by Tarzan at the box office tells me that there was a major fumble at the box office. Also you would think with this being Star Trek's 50th anniversary that it would have gotten a bump?

How about we wait until it is done opening everywhere internationally before we talk about how Tarzan beat it? The final number hasn't even been tallied yet and Tarzan isn't that far ahead.

Edited by rjrjr

Too funny!

Exactly.

When I was growing up Star Trek 3-7 were incredibly niche. The only "blockbuster" was Star Trek IV.

And yeah, prior to the reboot Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) did less than $70 million worldwide. And that's with Tom Hardy :insane:

Too funny!

As of right now world wide.

Tarzan 356 million.

Star Trex Beyond 336 million.

Amazing I would say numbers for Tarzan and very bad numbers for Star Trek considering how big Star Trek fandom is suppose to be.

That's a shame since Star Trek Beyond was far more entertaining than Tarzan. This latest Tarzan wasn't even as good as Greystoke with Lambert.

One reason could be is I don't think Star Trek is aging well,especially with millenials.

It should had doubled Tarzan's box office. This was STAR TREK's 50th anniversary.

I think Star Trek is one of those franchises that has lost it's way. A pity because at one time it was the gold standard.

I have no idea how they can turn it around.

It's not a good sign that they have already delayed the streaming only CBS show.

Oh well at least we got the upcoming Lost in Space and Battlestar Galactica reboots to look forward to.

I've become somewhat of a fan of Star Trek again after the reboot and cannot wait to see this... on Blu. (thumbs u
I liked it. Not as good as the last two, but it was way better than the supposed tentpoles Batman V Superman and X-Men: Apocalypse. It had the trademark crew charisma and heart still intact. I really missed Alice Eve's Carol Marcus pluckiness from the last movie though, I wish Pegg could have had her in there somehow.

As soons as the Beastie Boys track started, I was done. This was the other movie I watched this weekend, and it was just as bad as the Apocalypse movie was.

Really truly, I like goofy popcorn movies as much as the next guy, but to me this really really was just silliness to the extreme. I miss the science in science fiction.

This one should have had Smith's Superman Spider too!