• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC SS - J Scott Campbell/Dynamic Forces with COA's

14 posts in this topic

Hi Folks!

I THINK the answer is NO but here goes:

Sort of a 3 part question:

a.) If I buy books at JSC or DF that are signed and sometimes even sketched

by the artist and comes with their COAs - does CGC accept these for

Signature Series or since there is no CGC 'Witness' available do they not

do it? I figure they're 2 prominent companies in the industry.

b.) Even if I submit those books with the COAs I'm guessing that they are

graded as a regular BLUE label or are they more likely to get a GREEN

label?

c.) Finally, if I finally meet one of those artists at a CON where there was a

CGC witness and has the sketch/signature done already, I wonder if

he 'added' something to the sketch and/or vouched for the original sketch

THEN maybe at that point it could be CGC'd SS??

From what I can see most of the JSC/DF books are not CGC'd from their stores - that's part of the reason for asking, Sometimes from what I can tell they offer SS but it seems not often and dang expensive (but I'm a newb so what do I know?!) - I think it raises a kind of cool point for us peeps into SS.

Thank you for all your input and feedback!

If you had a COA, a video of him signing it, a hand written letter from Campbell, and $1000 cash for CGC it would not be graded as a part of their Signature Series.....but CGC would appreciate the tip.

Only way for CGC SS is a CGC witness as its being done...not after. If not....green label.

generally, if something is pre-signed or sketched without a witness, you have the option of having the sketch or signature counted as defect against the grade, in which you will have a lower graded blue label. or you can choose for them to ignore the sig or sketch, and take the green label.

I think you MIGHT be able to slip something by the CGC SS IF you have JSC (at a con) hand the witness the book fresh after 'sketching' has occurred, but probably not worth it to ask an artist to lie to a well regarded comic verification company.

generally, if something is pre-signed or sketched without a witness, you have the option of having the sketch or signature counted as defect against the grade, in which you will have a lower graded blue label. or you can choose for them to ignore the sig or sketch, and take the green label.

I think you MIGHT be able to slip something by the CGC SS IF you have JSC (at a con) hand the witness the book fresh after 'sketching' has occurred, but probably not worth it to ask an artist to lie to a well regarded comic verification company.

JSC works closely with CGC and is fully aware of the rules regarding the SS program - please don't encourage people to do *spoon* like this.

I've said it before, but I believe that if they the signer/sketcher fills out a form, whether it was signed/sketched before hand or not, that CGC will accept it. Neal Adams has the option on his site. No witness when he signs it, I believe, but if you choose the option for CGC it adds $20 to your invoice and Neal signs somethin' or other and sends it to CGC and you get a yellow label...

I don't know if artists such as Campbell bring such documents to con's though, but you never know :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I totally understand why this is the way things must be, but there has to be a way if creator is literally in person w/ the witness saying they signed the book to get it legitimized.
you could give it back to the creator, and have them fill out the forms, pay the cash (obviously you pay the creator ahead of time), and have them mail it to CGC. Assuming the creator trusts you that it is in fact his sig or sketch. But what is the benefit in them risking their reputation and that of CGC to do that? If you could pay him enough to make it worth it for them, you can probably afford to just buy something already slabbed.

JSC works closely with CGC and is fully aware of the rules regarding the SS program - please don't encourage people to do *spoon* like this.

I agree with Mike 100%. This compromises the program and what CGC stands for.

5 hours ago, Toronto-Comic-Kin said:

Will CGC include the COA in the slab at least or throw it out?

They won't put it in the slab, at most they may return it to you but I don't think even that....:sorry:

I think if you have the autograph and get it slabbed with a green label instead of yellow and own the JSC COA and include that with the comic, it's probably good enough for most customers to buy.

I've never heard of comic book artist autograph forgeries on comic books, mainly 'cuz right now the signature in all honesty to most, does not add any incremental value to a comic book unless it's by a handful of names like Stan Lee or Frank Miller, and artists like Campbell are such prolific signers it's not a scarce autograph, so I'd think the COA is good enough substantiation.