• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 135

12 posts in this topic

Please grade my Amazing Spider-Man 135. Book is unread condition with quality pages. Writing on back is in pencil. Looking for two opinions:

1. Grade as is; and

2. Estimate of max grade with a good cleaning/press

Thanks in advance, all opinions are always appreciated.

* the white along the bottom right edge front cover/top left edge back cover are microchamber paper

img20170201_21320914_zpsbzadpl5u.jpg

img20170201_21375957_zpslz8xcn3b.jpg

Edited by squad008

I'd guess 8.5 to 9.0. I'll let the pressers/experts speculate on the second Q.

Thanks, I have no clue on the second question myself. If it could potentially get to a 9.4 it would be worth it. Not sure what I could expect, was curious on opinions from people that might have experience.

The top rt corner seems a bit soft, maybe it's a 9.2, so hard to tell from scans, could only spot a couple of spine tics that I don't think will disappear (left of Robby's ear, and Spiderman's knee). On back cover, top left quadrant, are those impressions to left of "$1800?"

As it sits it looks like an 8.5 to me. I see wear on all four corners and several CBCs on the spine. It may just be the scan but I also see wear on the lowest quarter of the book affecting the yellow and punishers clothes.

As for a press I don't think it would get you to a 9.4 with the amount of edge and spine wear present; especially with how tight they've been grading. The issues outlined above are ones that can't be fixed by pressing. Issues that can be fixed with a press (light creases, dents etc) are typically difficult to spot in a scan. I'm certainly not an expert on pressing or grading but knowing what a press can fix, a 9.4 seems unlikely. But thats one opinion and over the next several days you'll receive more.

Grebel, I see what you're talking about (impressions) but I think thats the color from the inside of the back cover showing through (not bleeding, just showing).

Its a nice book and one I think we'll see garner more attention in the very near future!

As it sits it looks like an 8.5 to me. I see wear on all four corners and several CBCs on the spine. It may just be the scan but I also see wear on the lowest quarter of the book affecting the yellow and punishers clothes.

As for a press I don't think it would get you to a 9.4 with the amount of edge and spine wear present; especially with how tight they've been grading. The issues outlined above are ones that can't be fixed by pressing. Issues that can be fixed with a press (light creases, dents etc) are typically difficult to spot in a scan. I'm certainly not an expert on pressing or grading but knowing what a press can fix, a 9.4 seems unlikely. But thats one opinion and over the next several days you'll receive more.

Grebel, I see what you're talking about (impressions) but I think thats the color from the inside of the back cover showing through (not bleeding, just showing).

Its a nice book and one I think we'll see garner more attention in the very near future!

Pretty suer the wear to Punisher/Impressions on back is the ink from the inside part of the cover showing through the white on Punisher's chest/back cover. Maybe because I scanned this book with microchamber paper inside the front and back cover? Or possibly my scanner is garbage since the light on the scanner is so bright it looks like a UFO is trying to abduct something when it is scanning.

I agree this is an underrated book, which is why I need this book in a 9.6 (not literally but collectors want list need). Since this was included in a large lot that I bought for an ASM 129, this is an added bonus. A 9.4 would satisfy that wish list need. To sell raw and buy a 9.6 or give this a shot at getting a 9.4? Decisions......

I'm thinking 8.5. Maybe 9.0 but looks too dirty on back cover at spine. I believe they call this "stacking dirt" where books were stacked in piles.

I dunno know about the pressing question. No experience at that. Sorry.

I'm thinking 8.5. Maybe 9.0 but looks too dirty on back cover at spine. I believe they call this "stacking dirt" where books were stacked in piles.

I dunno know about the pressing question. No experience at that. Sorry.

Yup, that is correct. About 50 or so raw books, all stacked on top of each other un-bagged and un-boarded. Comics on top and bottom were really beat. Comics in middle were 8.0-9.0 estimate. The 129 and 135 were thankfully in the middle and both were unread but had some small defects because of the stacking.

I agree this is an underrated book, which is why I need this book in a 9.6 (not literally but collectors want list need). Since this was included in a large lot that I bought for an ASM 129, this is an added bonus. A 9.4 would satisfy that wish list need. To sell raw and buy a 9.6 or give this a shot at getting a 9.4? Decisions......

This is not a 9.4 even after a press.

With the spine ticks and soft corners. I'd say at best a 9.0-9.2 after a pressing

This is not a 9.4 even after a press.

With the spine ticks and soft corners. I'd say at best a 9.0-9.2 after a pressing

Thank you, corners were the biggest issue and if they won't improve much than your right on not getting to a 9.4

What was on top and bottom?

All 100's ASM's. Only major key was 129 and then some other quality issues like the 135, 136 etc. etc.. The top and bottom comics on the stack were probably in the VG range. Quality improved as you got closer to the middle of the stack both cover and pages.

Since you can't really stack that many raw books perfectly, even the unread ones had some slight CB creases on the spine and some non-cb creasing along the right edge.

Still surprised that some of these were in as nice of condition as they are considering the way they were stored.