• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Rebirth Issues and Thoughts on the Relaunch and Each Title

317 posts in this topic

I really want to like Red Hood and the Outlaws but I can't stand Bizarro. I know Bizzaro is an important character and all, but can't he be reinvented? The character is a tired cliche. "Me am... "

I'm all about a defective Superman clone, but a backwards S? That same stupid hair cut? How about less Frankenstein like? Maybe make him a mute, but can understand languages, and the other slowly start to realizes this? Maybe something outside the box? :preach:

I too wasn't impressed with the Gotham arch in Batman. I really like Detective, but I don't how I feel about this extended bat family, everyone and their mom in the DCU seems to be in it now. With that said, I really like Batwoman and how she's being developed.

As for Superman, I'm really enjoying Action, Superman and Superwoman! On Superwoman, I want to like Luthor's sister, but again with the tired cleches, once she reveals her self, she becomes bald, and dons a familiar suit of green armor...

Seems like the 1st 2 issues of DC's Rebirth were returnable. 1 of my 2 LCS was selling coverless, stripped Rebirths for 20c each. :juggle:

Good for folks who want to try out a new DC title for cheap like Batman by Finch, Action, Chinese Superman, WW, Aquaman, Green Lanterns, Batgirl, Green Arrow, etc. There were no coverless Harleys, All-Star Batmans (Romita Jr, Snyder), or Suicide Squads (Jim Lee).

I think there may have been up to 6 issues worth of returnable stuff for many of the early issues like Flash and Batman. I got a bunch for 50% off just before my LCS sent theirs back (covers intact).

Interesting. DCBS is actually offering a bunch of Rebirth Overstock this month. Wonder if those were all returns.

Only started reading DC Rebirth recently and it has been a huge hit to the wallet. Comixology had the Rebirth one-shots and #1 issues on Black Friday sale so picked them up and ended up adding a whole bunch of titles to the LCS preorder/pull list so spending solely on single issues has just ballooned. Granted, my OCD needing to have both Covers A & B is partly to blame.

I'm a bigger Batman fan than Superman but Tomasi and Gleason's current Superman run has got to be my favorite Rebirth title at the moment followed by Tec and Action. Hoping for another Comixology DC line-wide Christmas sale so I can marathon read Tomasi/Gleason Batman & Robin.

*sigh* Wish DC would offer a subscription service similar to Marvel Unlimited.

Edited by aerischan

This isn't a spoiler -- For anyone reading Batman..I just read Batman 13, and there were a few panels that reminded me of the big dinner from Dinner for Schmucks..if you've seen this movie, and read this issue...I think you'll know exactly what I am talking about lol

Not a bad arc. Janin's art was excellent.

PSA

For people who preorder, FOC for Batman #21-22 and Flash #21-22 (The Button story arc/crossover) is on February 13 because apparently, the lenticular covers require longer lead time. Why DC couldn't be bothered to solicit earlier, I do not know. :facepalm:

PSA

For people who preorder, FOC for Batman #21-22 and Flash #21-22 (The Button story arc/crossover) is on February 13 because apparently, the lenticular covers require longer lead time. Why DC couldn't be bothered to solicit earlier, I do not know. :facepalm:

Good call, I would like to get these. Anyone know what the "international" variant is? Is it ratio? Just a theme? I think there's 4 covers total for #21 and 3 for #22 correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding the Rebirth line, I'm still reading most titles and enjoying them. Finished up the JL vs SS arc and thought it was enjoyable. My favorite reads right now are Superman and Hal Jordan. Titans #7 was a great issue. Green Lanterns picked up with the Phantom Ring arc. Hopefully keeps improving. Cyborg is surprisingly decent. Wonder Woman is solid like always but I tend to collect a bunch then read them together because of that dumb alternating storylines thing.

A new one that came out of nowhere, but I'm not sure if it's related to Rebirth yet or not, is the Fall and Rise of Captain Atom. Just read the 2nd issue last night. It's a time travel story so far with great writing. Really good stuff, recommend you pick it up.

PSA

Good call, I would like to get these. Anyone know what the "international" variant is? Is it ratio? Just a theme? I think there's 4 covers total for #21 and 3 for #22 correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding the Rebirth line, I'm still reading most titles and enjoying them. Finished up the JL vs SS arc and thought it was enjoyable. My favorite reads right now are Superman and Hal Jordan. Titans #7 was a great issue. Green Lanterns picked up with the Phantom Ring arc. Hopefully keeps improving. Cyborg is surprisingly decent. Wonder Woman is solid like always but I tend to collect a bunch then read them together because of that dumb alternating storylines thing.

A new one that came out of nowhere, but I'm not sure if it's related to Rebirth yet or not, is the Fall and Rise of Captain Atom. Just read the 2nd issue last night. It's a time travel story so far with great writing. Really good stuff, recommend you pick it up.

Afaik, a French company holds the trademark for the Smiley face so DC can't release the cover with smiley face in Europe unless they pay for licensing (which they apparently don't want to do) hence, the international cover.

And yeah, I really enjoyed Titans #7, too. Really nice to see Supes and Wally bonding. Tomasi/Gleason's Superman run is my favorite read at the moment (except Multiplicity seems like a misstep) and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of Jon and Damian's hijinks in Super Sons coming out 2/15. Thoroughly enjoyed the Robins bantering in Batman #16 (released yesterday) and Bruce Wayne eating a hamburger is just precious.

I'd probably subscribe to a DC Unlimited service if they had one available but buying all of DC's releases every month is just out of the budget. I've just been borrowing/reading trades via Hoopla. Also, is it just me or has pricing for trades gone up to pretty much match # of issues x cover price?

Edited by aerischan

PSA

Afaik, a French company holds the trademark for the Smiley face so DC can't release the cover with smiley face in Europe unless they pay for licensing (which they apparently don't want to do) hence, the international cover.

And yeah, I really enjoyed Titans #7, too. Really nice to see Supes and Wally bonding. Tomasi/Gleason's Superman run is my favorite read at the moment (except Multiplicity seems like a misstep) and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of Jon and Damian's hijinks in Super Sons coming out 2/15. Thoroughly enjoyed the Robins bantering in Batman #16 (released yesterday) and Bruce Wayne eating a hamburger is just precious.

I'd probably subscribe to a DC Unlimited service if they had one available but buying all of DC's releases every month is just out of the budget. I've just been borrowing/reading trades via Hoopla. Also, is it just me or has pricing for trades gone up to pretty much match # of issues x cover price?

Yah it's hard to keep up with every title, I had to drop some from my pull list early, then be selective with what I order when new stuff is released. I don't think trades are a better deal. Example Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love is a 3 part series, $5.99 cover minus your pull list discount... the trade is $16.99. Save a buck I guess if you buy them all individually at retail, not sure if it's worth waiting for the trade. Some of them vary, the bi-monthly titles in trade are a better deal.

Yah it's hard to keep up with every title, I had to drop some from my pull list early, then be selective with what I order when new stuff is released. I don't think trades are a better deal. Example Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love is a 3 part series, $5.99 cover minus your pull list discount... the trade is $16.99. Save a buck I guess if you buy them all individually at retail, not sure if it's worth waiting for the trade. Some of them vary, the bi-monthly titles in trade are a better deal.

Not necessarily. I think some trades only have 6 issues for a $16.99. At $2.99 per issue, that's just $1 savings, too. I get 30% preorder discount from the LCS for both single issues and TPBs (DC/Marvel) which makes for just $0.70 price difference so there doesn't seem to be much savings to be had by trade waiting.

Granted, when DC's monthly titles go up to $3.99, the TPBs are going to be a better deal assuming one does not value the digital copies.

Uhhhh, yeah.  Wow.  Whole lotta stuff going on there.

Really appreciated the back story feature as well, as I jumped into the comic world in 2014 and had no context of what happened earlier in the issue.

1 hour ago, MDR123 said:

And what is the story with this beauty? 

German release of the Rebirth one-shot that came out last month (delayed release schedule) had a couple variants including a limited print run foil variant. Had to grab one for my Rebirth collection, good display piece.  

I think it's time for a bump in this thread! The Button storyline is going strong. The latest issue, Batman #22, was fantastic. The final of the 4 part arc - Flash #22 is delayed a week which sucks...however we have the Lazarus Contract crossover arc starting in Titans next week which I'm really looking forward to. 

I found this DC Rebirth ranking from /R/Comicbooks last month, and looking at the rankings I gotta say it is pretty damn accurate. The sample size is 98 readers. It pretty much reflects my own preferences with the exception of the main Batman title, which I think is overrated on this list. I'd rate Nightwing, Wonder Woman and Red Hood higher but that could just be personal preference. Also found out Deathstroke has been nominated for an Eisner for writing. Priest has been killing it. I wasn't a Deathstroke fan/reader/whatever before this run. It's a slowburn and I put it off for a while after the first arc but it really picks up and it is damn good. Pick up the trades for this one folks!

• 1- Superman 659 pts
  • 2- Detective Comics 411 pts
  • 3- Deathstroke 367 pts
  • 4- Batman 320 pts
  • 5- Titans 302 pts
  • 6- Nightwing 292 pts
  • 7- Green Arrow 257 pts
  • 8 - Aquaman 220 pts
  • 9 - Action Comics 213 pts
  • 10 - Wonder Woman 189 pts
  • 10- Super Sons 189 pts
  • 12- Hal Jordan and Pals 181 pts