• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just picked up my Atari artwork from the frame shop

20 posts in this topic

This spring I'm working with Tim Lapetino to promote his Art of Atari book. What we have planned is a small display of the original artwork at his book signing. Most of my artwork is not framed so this is a first for me. A bit more expensive than I was expecting.

Here are a few pictures that I took at the frame shop before I left. The events will be in the Chicago area. As we have confirmation I'll post the places and times in case this interests anyone here.

Edit --- The pictures are showing up way too big when I try to post them on this forum.

Here is a link to a Videogame forum where the pictures are normal sized.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=170872

Edited by buyatari

Scans are GIGANTIC!! Great artwork, but put them in spoiler tags, they are messing up the format of the page.

Which baseball game is that artwork from?

Scans are GIGANTIC!! Great artwork, but put them in spoiler tags, they are messing up the format of the page.

Which baseball game is that artwork from?

The baseball game is Home Run done by Cliff Spohn. However this is an earlier unused cover for that title. The published cover is close in design.

How do I put things in spoiler tags?

Why do the pictures show up so large here? The same text and HTML code on all other forums produces regular sized photos. Perhaps I'll delete the photos and just post a link to a game forum where I first posted these.

spoiler tags you write

when you want the hidden message to start and then

[*spoiler]

* replace the asterix with a forward slash. I can't do it or else it will hide the code.

Different sizes on different forums are because you are taking huge pictures and then some forums are auto scaling them down for you, and some aren't.

When you upload the pics to your computer from your camera, just save them at a smaller size. Or, if they are ipad or iphone photos, go into your camera / all photos / and email them to yourself. When you go to email them, it will ask you what size you want to save the file as for sending purposes. Don't choose the largest size. Then pick up the smaller files from your email and save them to imgur or whatever and you'll have the same image at a smaller size.

Glad some of you guys enjoy seeing these.

Love the catalog cover, Galaxian and Star Raiders. What's on the top left of your first photo?

That would be the box art of Countermeasure for the Atari 5200.

Great image and the only Atari 5200 box art that I've been able to track down in 10+ years of searching.

Love the catalog cover, Galaxian and Star Raiders. What's on the top left of your first photo?

Great image and the only Atari 5200 box art that I've been able to track down in 10+ years of searching.

I always liked those multi-dimensional Atari images with a figure in the foreground and action from another location in the background.... as in the 2600 and 5200 iterations of Missile Command.

I always liked those multi-dimensional Atari images with a figure in the foreground and action from another location in the background.... as in the 2600 and 5200 iterations of Missile Command.

According to the people at Atari that I have spoken with the 1st Atari 2600 artists were told to mimic the style of David Grove. If you google his images you can see it clearly.

Nice collection of originals. Finding original videogame box artwork is something I would like to do one day.

You'll need some luck or some cash. ;) Art from iconic consoles like atari, NES, SNES, genesis etc are exceptionally rare with very, very few left in the wild. Everything since 1995 is digital, almost everything pre 1987 was thrown out, and everything 1988-1995 is locked up in collections or still owned by the corporations themselves.

WOW. Those are GORGEOUS. Thanks for sharing ..

This spring I'm working with Tim Lapetino to promote his Art of Atari book. What we have planned is a small display of the original artwork at his book signing. Most of my artwork is not framed so this is a first for me. A bit more expensive than I was expecting.

Here are a few pictures that I took at the frame shop before I left. The events will be in the Chicago area. As we have confirmation I'll post the places and times in case this interests anyone here.

Edit --- The pictures are showing up way too big when I try to post them on this forum.

On 2/2/2017 at 5:34 PM, buyatari said:

Books like this are great to have on the bookshelf, but Comixology has this book for sale this week if anyone reads digitally. There are also a few other comic art related books on sale.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I believe the print edition is on sale now as well, fyi

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I believe the print edition is on sale now as well, fyi

I meant Sale, as in less than retail (8.99 as opposed to 19.99)

2 hours ago, Hekla said:

I meant Sale, as in less than retail (8.99 as opposed to 19.99)

Can't imagine I'd ever buy a digital book but for people who buy digital books that sounds like a good deal. Thanks for the heads up. 

29 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Can't imagine I'd ever buy a digital book but for people who buy digital books that sounds like a good deal. Thanks for the heads up. 

I travel quite a bit, so having access to a comic store on my iPad is awesome. I still buy real-world copies of books I like, tho. Also I still would rather have hard copies of art books, but I definitely see the convenience appeal