• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can high-dollar "cover artist keys" maintain their value?

104 posts in this topic

It could also be that the people that really do like many of the current "hot" artists don't go after OA like older fans do. A JSC fan may very well be still in his 20's and not have the disposable income to cause some of these pieces to go even higher than they do now.

To me, an artist that actually had a long stint on a book (interior) has a better chance to be remembered than a guy who just draws covers. But I enjoyed reading comics and not just looking at cover images.

Yeah there has been a great deal of market talk about what influences OA, etc. The thing about the McFarlane price drop, the generally accepted belief is that the fans that would be most nostalgic about those pieces are likely at their prime earning / spending stages right now so... who knows what it all means.

I think OA is also a lot more expensive than it used to be. McFarlane art has fallen to the $10-20k range. That's what artists like Dell 'Otto are charging out of the gate for covers now.

I think we have mostly an older OA collecting crowd on these forums... primarily. I've seen one guy pipe up with a nice Dell'Otto cover recently, but that's about it.

Also, keep in mind, that list is for A-level 'pages', not covers.