• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How should I proceed?

15 posts in this topic

I was doing a wire transfer this morning and while talking to my banker, we got onto the comics. She said she had an uncle named Sid Greene who drew Batman and also the Hornet in the 1950's. She said that she was allowed to go to his office then and got to read comics which were all over the place.She had always asked him to draw Batman for her and much time passed. For her High School graduation, he made her a full sized poster with batman coming crashing through a doorway saying "Hi Bonnie, sorry I'm so late!". She still has it framed, under glass, out of the sun. It's entirely a pencil study.

I told her I would ask to see where she might go for an appraisal. I know that original artwork is of interest here. All we have is this Ted Geisel drawing done for my daughter of a bazillion identical characters lined up to get their diplomas, all in cap and gown. So, anyone know where to go looking for history on this?Wikipedia had a nice biography.

Edited by Glassman10

$3,000 to $7,000 according to Heritage Auction results https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ns=Price%7c1&N=0+790+231&Ntt=Sid+Greene&ic4=SortBy-071515

But perhaps more now as some of those sales are from 10 years ago ...or perhaps less as that drawing was not used in actual publication

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

All we have is this Ted Geisel drawing done for my daughter of a bazillion identical characters lined up to get their diplomas, all in cap and gown.

That guy is a hack. :insane:

It would be cool if you could post a picture of that drawing he did for your duaghter

Maybe try calling Dan Gallo? He puts on the big New Jersey comic art con; if he doesn't know he will know the right dealer. Super nice guy; connected him and a friend who was looking to sell a sizable esoteric OA collection. He's got a full page on p 258 of the current OPG; # listed there is (954) 547-9063. He's in New York.

All we have is this Ted Geisel drawing done for my daughter of a bazillion identical characters lined up to get their diplomas, all in cap and gown.

It would be cool if you could post a picture of that drawing he did for your daughter

It's a big drawing, 20x30 and would have to be scanned or photographed. It's on a wall in Canada right now and on its way to Cyprus in the Spring. My daughter's with the State Dept. I knew Geisel when he lived in Southern California, although he spent time with my dad. I was a kid way back when. He did the particular drawing around 1976 as I recall, before his death.Initially it was for a charity auction but it fit right in.

It would be cool if you could post a picture of that drawing he did for your daughter

It's a big drawing, 20x30 and would have to be scanned or photographed. It's on a wall in Canada right now and on its way to Cyprus in the Spring. My daughter's with the State Dept. I knew Geisel when he lived in Southern California, although he spent time with my dad. I was a kid way back when. He did the particular drawing around 1976 as I recall, before his death.Initially it was for a charity auction but it fit right in.

Cell phone picture would be a cool start!

If he had done the drawing after his death it would be worth more.

:baiting:

$3,000 to $7,000 according to Heritage Auction results https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ns=Price%7c1&N=0+790+231&Ntt=Sid+Greene&ic4=SortBy-071515

But perhaps more now as some of those sales are from 10 years ago ...or perhaps less as that drawing was not used in actual publication

That is one of worst referenced valuations I have ever seen. Those $3,000 to $7,000 numbers you just threw out are based on art where the primary artist is someone else entirely like Gil Kane and that is why people are paying $7,000.

The solo Sid Greene pieces on there are all well under $,1,000.

If he had done the drawing after his death it would be worth more.

:baiting:

Grammar sequencing for me sometimes difficult is. You're well taken . Even. So far the photo's sucked have. He did put out at least one book after he died though. So there.

That is one of worst referenced valuations I have ever seen. Those $3,000 to $7,000 numbers you just threw out are based on art where the primary artist is someone else entirely like Gil Kane and that is why people are paying $7,000.

(thumbs u

Well, Bonnie wasn't looking for cash value as it seems is so frequent here but it made her really happy to see those drawings!

So, Thanks!