• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Country, Image, Cates, Shaw, Wordie, Hill
1 1

89 posts in this topic

Your usually always right ill hold off i know better then to hop on so late but it looks pretty crazy i all i see is good things with my luck it'll flop the minute i touch it.

I think he's right too... unless we're back in the 90s and only art matters, then all bets are off.

Your usually always right ill hold off i know better then to hop on so late but it looks pretty crazy i all i see is good things with my luck it'll flop the minute i touch it.

I think he's right too... unless we're back in the 90s and only art matters, then all bets are off.

Well im just happy to be back just got a box from CGC today so im in full swing figured id ask thanks guys.

Edited by emezy360

Just read issue #2 and couldn't be happier. Looking for good stories to fill the holes of old favorites that have either permanently or temporarily drifted into oblivion. This story is hitting the mark to this point. In fact, this issue was better than the first. The direction it has taken is unexpected but pleasantly so imo. If you missed the 1st print of #1, a 2nd print is on the shelves today or do what I did and buy it online because I couldn't wait for the mail. lol 

On 2/15/2017 at 5:29 PM, the authority said:

Just read issue #2 and couldn't be happier. Looking for good stories to fill the holes of old favorites that have either permanently or temporarily drifted into oblivion. This story is hitting the mark to this point. In fact, this issue was better than the first. The direction it has taken is unexpected but pleasantly so imo. If you missed the 1st print of #1, a 2nd print is on the shelves today or do what I did and buy it online because I couldn't wait for the mail. lol 

2nd print was allocated, and started selling for double cover almost immediately. 3rd prints on the way. 

Went to the Donny Cates signing at Third Eye Comics in Annapolis today.  Not as many people as I expected.  They had plenty of #1 2nd prints.

If you are a fan of Cates, he has another Image book coming out named Redneck that will have a preview in an upcoming Walking Dead

god country.jpg

Finally got around to reading the second issue - I'm interested in where it's going. The story felt much less compressed in this issue than it did in the first, I didn't think it could sustain such a slow pace so I'm glad that turned out to be correct.

As far as the new fantasy books I'm reading go, this one is beating Seven to Eternity at this point in time.

To be fair... there's only two issues, and frankly, the 1st issue was so compressed that we may as well have just had one issue worth of story thus far. Is it good? The second issue was good, the first issue left me personally underwhelmed. 

And a brand new book going for $150 on eBay after just two issues?! I don't think I've ever seen that happen before :baiting: 

Maybe quality wise it will be the next Saga, Manhattan Projects, or East of West for Image, but then maybe it won't. For what it's worth, I did quite like the second issue. As I said in a previous post in this thread, for some reason this book reminds me of some of the odder titles of the 90s... without itself being too 'cheesy' as of yet. I haven't really put my finger on exactly what makes me feel that way, but we've already got a giant in Roman armor arguing with an old Texan about the ownership of the God of Swords, so I don't feel like I have to belabor the point too sharply.

Looking forward to the next issue.

1 hour ago, rush_6 said:

I was just thinking the same thing last night. Good story so far and 9.8's going for $150 already. 

I've heard the first print run was 14,000, so it was very under-ordered.  On top of that, there have been no ratio variants nor comic-con variants.  Everyone really likes the project so far and whammo---we've got large price jumps that seem to be holding.  I took a sizable chance on these for pre-order.....I should check out some other goodies I have and organize things for my very first sales thread on these Boards....

I listed all the original art from the first two issues on my site...all but ONE of the pages have sold. Clearly, the book has struck a chord with readers.

You can't really predict these things. Totally caught me by surprise.

50 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I listed all the original art from the first two issues on my site...all but ONE of the pages have sold. Clearly, the book has struck a chord with readers.

You can't really predict these things. Totally caught me by surprise.

Wow!  Those are impressive sales figures......only one page of original art left!  Just.....wow!

21 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Wow!  Those are impressive sales figures......only one page of original art left!  Just.....wow!

You can check out the scans here...and yup, just one page left from the first two issues:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?Details=1&ArtistId=579&Mag=GOD+COUNTRY

What's even crazier has been PAPER GIRLS. Five complete issues...and also just one page left!:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?ArtistId=580&Mag=PAPER+GIRLS&From=Title

Granted, three of the issues sold complete, but still, the appetite for modern OA from popular books is very, very strong.

So very pleased to see this.  Regardless of the speculation aspect, I can only think that real fans want a piece of the actual art.  Smart on their part too---paying early to personally enjoy it as well as a possible price appreciation.  The art can be so freaking good these days on these books---crazy!  It's a good crazy!  Just love to hear that art from the independants has a strong interest.  Thanks for sharing!