Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#9785352 - 02/01/17 08:49 PM Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin?
the_Thing Offline

I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: TJ's nightmare
Here is an example. What gives it away. Some are obvious, but I run across a lot that I can't see the reason.

Cleaned NGC Morgan

Ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas.
-David Crockett

#9785358 - 02/01/17 08:51 PM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: the_Thing ]
the_Thing Offline

I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: TJ's nightmare
Another one I can't tell has been cleaned, but I'd guess the reverse gives it away? I can see no evidence of cleaning on the obverse.

CLeaned Morgan Dollar

Edited by the_Thing (02/01/17 08:53 PM)

Ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas.
-David Crockett

#9785412 - 02/01/17 09:23 PM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: the_Thing ]
MarkFeld Offline
Dealer
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: the_Thing
Another one I can't tell has been cleaned, but I'd guess the reverse gives it away? I can see no evidence of cleaning on the obverse.

CLeaned Morgan Dollar

Often, a coin needs to be examined in hand and tilted and rotated under a light, in order to detect cleaning. Don't assume that the coin in question has been cleaned on the reverse and not the obverse.

Also, the determination of cleaning can be subjective and inconsistent. Some coins are labeled "cleaned", but later cracked out, resubmitted and graded without the notation of cleaning. Others might not be labeled as cleaned when initially graded, but later cracked out, resubmitted and labeled "cleaned".

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions I express here are my own.

#9785445 - 02/01/17 09:38 PM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: the_Thing ]
James_OldeTowne Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Trying to use photos to learn about cleaning is just about impossible, especially when so many photos of cleaned coins are taken in such a manner as to intentionally minimize the symptoms of cleaning.

My posts express my PERSONAL opinions ONLY. Please respect my right to Freedom of Speech as I respect yours.

#9785518 - 02/01/17 10:22 PM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: James_OldeTowne]
jgenn Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

I think your best bet is to hit a coin show and bring a loupe and check out a bunch of slabbed straight graded coins for hairlines. You will find some hairlines on the lower MS grades. The key is to get a sense for how many hairlines are tolerated at each grade level. Any more than that and you are looking at a "cleaned" coin.

#9785520 - 02/01/17 10:26 PM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: jgenn]
RWB Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Virginia
"....on spotting a cleaned coin?"

Well --- there's good advice in the other posts. But, I'd like to know why you want to put spots on a coin that has already been cleaned....? Maybe on one of those NCLT leopard coins, or even parts of a giraffe....or, lady bugs...?

#9785549 - 02/01/17 10:53 PM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: jgenn]
MarkFeld Offline
Dealer
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: jgenn
I think your best bet is to hit a coin show and bring a loupe and check out a bunch of slabbed straight graded coins for hairlines. You will find some hairlines on the lower MS grades. The key is to get a sense for how many hairlines are tolerated at each grade level. Any more than that and you are looking at a "cleaned" coin.

Not all cleaning results in hairlines. And hairlines can be found on high grade coins, not just lower grade ones. Additionally, most Proof coins display hairlining to some extent, even if they haven't been cleaned.

#9785767 - 02/02/17 06:17 AM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: MarkFeld]
physics-fan3.14 Offline

WYNK Black Belt

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Charleston!
 Quote:
Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin?

I suspect that you want a little more detail than has been provided so far. Check out an article that I wrote, here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4855769

If you want more information, check out my book, "The Art and Science of Grading Coins."

The Art and Science of Grading Coins

#9785829 - 02/02/17 08:37 AM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: MarkFeld]
mark Offline
The Collectinator

Mark:

Other than cleaning, what is the most common way for proofs to acquire hairlines? For 19th century proofs, was it perhaps their storage by collectors?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

#9785852 - 02/02/17 09:00 AM Re: Can someone educate me on spotting a cleaned coin? [Re: mark]
MarkFeld Offline
Dealer
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: mark
Mark:

Other than cleaning, what is the most common way for proofs to acquire hairlines? For 19th century proofs, was it perhaps their storage by collectors?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Most likely, moving around in envelopes, sliding around in trays or mishandling in albums.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  ngcmod, dena, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Keith Zaner, ccgmod1, jrich, cgcmod8, ccgmod2-migration 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.