• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja #15 unpublished cover by Cockrum: recommended inkers

30 posts in this topic

I have been considering getting someone to ink a blueline of my Dave Cockrum penciled unpublished original. Dave penciled and inked the published version and he would have been my first choice back in the day.

I have been thinking about who I should approach to ink it. Would love to hear people's suggestions of active inkers who have worked with Dave in the past. Looking for traditional Marvel inkers not the image style. Nothing against guys like Scott Williams who are very good but I am a fan of the classic inking style.

Red_Sonja_15_cvr.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

Here are several possibilities:

Bob McLeod -- He always does a great job and is very reliable. My only caveat here is that his style tends to overpower Cockrum a bit.

Al Milgrom -- I'm kind of curious what this combination would look like. I think they did a few covers together in the 70's.

Bob Layton -- While he's more of a penciller, I think their styles are very compatible and they did work together on occasion. Bob is also great to deal with.

Joe Rubinstein -- Probably would do a great job, but I know he's been unreliable in the past so you'd need to be cautious.

Bob Wiacek -- I've never interacted with him, but he did some nice work with Dave in the 70's and 80's and is active online.

Finally, I'd love to see Steve Lightle take a stab at this. He's primarily a penciller and not from the right era, but he drew an amazing Red Sonja story and I think his style would compliment Dave's very well.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece if you do end up going ahead with this.

Regards,

Ted

Joe Sinnott worked with Cockrum once upon a time, and did a terrific job on jeBailey's Silver Surfer piece last year. If he's willing, I'd start there.

I'm biased but agree that he would knock it out of the park.

John B.

Gary Martin can ink in just about any style you'd want at maximum proficiency.

I would love to see Kevin Nowlan ink this. You should contact him. He allowed me to send him a hi res scan of a piece and he was able to print it onto full comic art sized bristol and ink it masterfully.

Gary Martin can ink in just about any style you'd want at maximum proficiency.

I would love to see Kevin Nowlan ink this. You should contact him. He allowed me to send him a hi res scan of a piece and he was able to print it onto full comic art sized bristol and ink it masterfully.

Why limit yourself to just one inker send it out to more than one how about Mark Schultz and Dave Hunt if he's still around

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

Some great suggestions. A number of them have very strong styles, Palmer, Nowlan and Nebres. I am looking for someone who won't over shadow Dave. I have plans for Tom to ink a blueline of something else. I am down to Sinnott and Wiacek, both of them have inked Dave in the past. Wiacek inked Dave on Starjammers and Brood arcs in Uncanny X-Men and Ms Marvel #20.

Edited by Brian Peck