• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention ( CalComicCon) 2017
2 2

210 posts in this topic

I have one request, when you see silver/bronze artists at other conventions,

ask they if they would consider an old school Convention like CalComicCon

as a guest. The most difficult part of putting a show like this is getting Guest to come out for a one day show.

Thank you again! Terry O. Promoter - CalComicCon

I am really :censored: I was not there. I see pics now and lots of books I would try to buy. Terry you need 3 of these a year :wishluck:

You blew it woowoo... Once a year makes it all that more special.

Big thanks to Terry for sharing some wisdom with a neophyte Show Promoter. :applause:

My highest hope is that in a few years, our own little show becomes a destination event for Boardies and other collectors alike.

You really should make it out for next year. How often do you hear a buzz like this for a one day local show?. After 12 years, this show has only gotton better and better without making it very much bigger or going multiple days. I was amazed how many out of state people made the trek. Terry is not a show promoter, nor does he want to be but he knows what makes a show sucessfull.

I have one request, when you see silver/bronze artists at other conventions,

ask they if they would consider an old school Convention like CalComicCon

as a guest. The most difficult part of putting a show like this is getting Guest to come out for a one day show.

Thank you again! Terry O. Promoter - CalComicCon

I am really :censored: I was not there. I see pics now and lots of books I would try to buy. Terry you need 3 of these a year :wishluck:

You blew it woowoo... Once a year makes it all that more special.

:whee:

In the short time I was there, it was a great show. There were a lot more people there than I anticipated and even a TON of children, which was very unexpected!

The weather was perfect and Southern CA is a beautiful place. I had the pleasure to meet several boardies and am sad that I missed out on a few others.

Unfortunately my entire family has come down with the flu which made travel on Monday truly difficult.

I was asked if I was coming to LBCC and I'll say this: one CA trip a year is enough for now.

The dinner on Saturday night was great. Lots of great company and I believe everyone had a good time!

Picked up two books and two pages of art so my budget was easily eclipsed.

Thanks to Terry for planning and executing a TRUE comic show. There aren't many like this around and this one was one of the better ones....

Thanks all!

Brock

The goal is to have other Dealer/Collectors emulate this show in other parts of the country. ...

Anyone wanting to put on a similar show in their area let me know I will help as much as I can.

Terry, congrats on 11 years. I can't believe it's been that many. It's very cool of you to offer this help. As you know, we put on a couple back issue comics-only shows in Berkeley last year. We've got it running smoothly and now that we have the kinks worked out and proof of concept, I had planned to contact you to see how we might amp it up. So your offer is perfectly timed. I'll be in touch.

Hi Mark,

I gave this advice to a guy I know in Florida trying to do a similar show:

Attendance was 231 paid at door, 107 via PayPal advance tickets and 25 with passes as free admission,

there were also 143 dealers , booth helpers, show staff and guests. If it is your first show, give out

free passes to as many comic shops that are promoting your show as possible. don't try to turn a

profit on the show , if your goal is a real old school comic show. do some loss leaders on E-bay

ie: sell a good $400 comics starting at 5 cents, people look at E-bay it is the best advertising vehicle.

if possible get a nice location with free parking but always charge admission to keep riff-raff out.

offer good items if you do a raffle. give incentives to buy tickets early line faster entry.

Importantly have at least one security person at the show with law enforcement experience in case there is trouble.

this was my old web-site: I also attached a few pictures.

and keep them wanting more!

Good luck and best regards,

Terry O.