• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - Tear Repair?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, I do not have much experience buying restored books and need some help. I've had this book posted in the PGM forums and have just received a pic showing what looks to be repair of a tear on the inside front cover. I haven't purchased the book yet but am still considering it. Any idea if this can be removed and how much I can expect it to cost? Thanks in advance and all comments are appreciated.

TOS203920-20Closeup20of20tear20inside_zpsg2smt8y1.jpg

here's a pic of the front cover - note the tear is on the right edge of the book near his left foot

TOS3920Front20cover_zpsxsgxwli3.jpg

It depends on what it is. If it's glue or something that has soaked into the fibers you're going to have a hard time getting it off. If you're concerned about getting a PLOD then use an X-acto to pick out the glue from the tear and you should get a Universal label (provided you get 100% of the glue out of the tear).

However, if it's rice paper you can easily remove it with a damp Q-Tip. That was advise given to me by a well known conservator and it worked like a charm.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:27 PM, Michelangelo said:

But I can't really tell what it is

Tape? Glue? Tape residue?

I was just thinking the same thing if it's some sort of tape residue but too hard to tell for sure.

To the OP, considering how ugly the spine is on this book I would just leave it alone in regards to the specific area your looking at.

As for buying it, the only advice I can give is that price trumps all.