• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest round of framing
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I think the art "pops" better with the white matte and black frame. Very nice! :applause:

And the after. I like doing two per frame because it is less wall space so I can hang more.

CBB6241B-7E68-4E68-A657-9B1099533910.jpg

I just got two more frames in and the first set of art is on the wall! Pretty excited to finally have these hanging on the wall.

70D277BA-F071-4C94-91F0-36B025598F66.jpg

I really like this one.

Yep, I remember commenting on that leftmost page in another thread, really nice looking page. Not that both aren't nice.

Love those two Black Panther covers

Do you frame these yourself or have it done professionally.

What are everyone's thoughts on framing - do you need acid free mats and UV Glass or is that overkill if they are not hung in direct light? And how do you tell an acid free mat if buying frames retail?

What are everyone's thoughts on framing - do you need acid free mats and UV Glass or is that overkill if they are not hung in direct light? And how do you tell an acid free mat if buying frames retail?

I frame them myself, all you really need is a special stapler that cost about $20. I always use acid free backing boards and mats, the cost delta isn't that much. I use an archival acrylic, non-glare, uv "glass". Just as an example, I bought two frames from American that I showed in this thread. The total cost including shipping was $ 286.15 so ~$143 per frame. I consider it pretty cheap when you consider I am hanging $10k to $20k worth of art.

I frame them myself, all you really need is a special stapler that cost about $20. I always use acid free backing boards and mats, the cost delta isn't that much. I use an archival acrylic, non-glare, uv "glass". Just as an example, I bought two frames from American that I showed in this thread. The total cost including shipping was $ 286.15 so ~$143 per frame. I consider it pretty cheap when you consider I am hanging $10k to $20k worth of art.

Fair enough.

My issue is I am wanting to frame art that is $300 or so per page (a death of superman page and a batman knightfall page - both panel pages) and am looking at having it framed at a cost of $200-250 per page (in Canada) - which seems out of whack, but also don't want to skimp with my art, so ......

I wish I could say something like:

After years of an apprenticeship with a master framer, it was time to go out on my own.

But in reality it was more just following the basic rule, top and side borders same size, bottom border bigger. I use 1.5inch top and sides and 2 inches for the bottom. I attach the art only on the very corner with archival tape.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:14 PM, batman_fan said:

I wish I could say something like:

After years of an apprenticeship with a master framer, it was time to go out on my own.

But in reality it was more just following the basic rule, top and side borders same size, bottom border bigger. I use 1.5inch top and sides and 2 inches for the bottom. I attach the art only on the very corner with archival tape.

Huh. Why more of a border on the bottom of the frame? I would've thought it should be the same all around...

So - when I got art framed, the experts did the same thing.  Apparently it helps give weight to the image.  Otherwise looks more 'floaty' or off.  The extra half inch is something you can feel, but don't really notice when you look at it. Kind of like an optical trick.

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

So - when I got art framed, the experts did the same thing.  Apparently it helps give weight to the image.  Otherwise looks more 'floaty' or off.  The extra half inch is something you can feel, but don't really notice when you look at it. Kind of like an optical trick.

^^