• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GERHARD!!! ... I mean seriously... CAF art post

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I normally don't post about my art acquisitions. I mean I post them on CAF, but I don't normally say anything here. Tonight, I am making an exception. Not because it's rare or particularly valuable, but because it is a rare commission experience for me (I'm a bit of a published art snob).

I hear a lot about bad commission experiences (recent Joe Jusko post by member not withstanding), but I recently had one that was absolutely spectacular and I think it deserves notice, as does the person who did the commission... GERHARD, who went absolutely nuts on this piece and is also incredibly nice and accommodating. I don't want to overload the guy or anything, but if you are considering a commission, I strongly recommend him.

Rather than taking up a lot of space and copying and pasting my CAF description, here is simply a link to the piece.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1371892

Duane

I saw your piece on Gerhard's blog - he kept the layout of the piece true, but added so much depth with his shading - the piece really evolved.

I feel lucky to have been one of the first to have "rediscovered" Gerhard and have had him work on so many great pieces for me. Hopefully they are some on the ones that made you think about getting a commission of your own.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=165001

Even though I may kick myself later on for having to wait a long time for my next commission from Gerhard, I whole heartedly recommend getting on Gerhard's list if there's something you've been thinking about that would benefit from his talent - background inking, wedding invitations, a picture of your house or favorite building, a Gerebus drawing... whatever. If you've had bad customer experiences before with art commissions, this will be a stark contrast. He's collaborative, he's polite, he's reasonably priced, he's concerned about giving you what you want, and he won't take your money until he's finished with the piece! And, in the end, you'll end up with a masterpiece!

'Nuff said!

Hopefully they are some on the ones that made you think about getting a commission of your own.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=165001

Chuck, your commissions were definitely part of it. Part of what they did do, was direct me to his site where I was reminded of his background brilliance. So incredible. His art belongs in museums.

And I am glad you mentioned seeing the piece on his blog. Since his descriptions of his process goes a little more in depth AND his scans are so much better than mine, not to mention that great scan that goes back and forth between original pencils and inks, here is a link to that blog. While you are there, take a look at his other works and as Chuck says... GET ON THAT LIST!!

http://gerhardart.com/gotham-nights/

I would leave it alone

I agree - Although I'm sure Gerhard could add a nice background, I'm not sure it would add much to the piece. He also prefers to leave little room around the edges. A few thoughts on where Gerhard does his best work:

1) The piece should be on good quality paper (ideally Bristol board or nicer)

2) There should be ample room to add a background

3) There's a problem to solve - Gerhard does his best work when he has to apply his problem solving skills to figure out a creative background and/or angle (he'll probably kill me for saying that)

4) You have suggestions that you want incorporated and/or photo reference

5) You choose subject matter he's passionate about. What are those things - well, ask him!

Some other things to consider:

- Gerhard is also a great colorist. He will always shade things first in B&W and then you can decide if you want color. He can create a print of the B&W on nice paper an color it if you want to keep the B&W version in its original form

- The size will determine the cost he charges (and how long it takes him to complete), but he has done some amazing large sized (poster size pieces) that are museum quality.

Hope this gets other people on the fence to give Ger an e-mail. He's always happy to discuss your ideas.