• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Jusko Has Arrived (Sandy Stardust)
1 1

26 posts in this topic

The better part of a decade ago I talk with Joe about doing a Space Girl commission for me. He was into it but told me it was going to be awhile. He was working on some stuff for the ERB family and Marvel was likely going to hit him up to do some cards (which turned out to the the newest Marvel Masterpieces set). He and I chatted back and forth over the years and each time he apologized for the wait, assuring me, "It will be well worth the wait." I had no doubt.

Around the end of the summer he sent me a prelim and said he was starting. Knowing it was close, that's when time started to crawl by. He and I would chat on Facebook and he would give me updates... more like teasing me.

Finally one afternoon I was walking through the woods hunting and he messaged me... "Done!" I don't know that I was ready for what I saw next.

:o :o :o

He and I had planned to meet up in Dallas when he came to the con in early February and I was going to get it from him in person. Alas, he messaged me saying Marvel had pulled up the due date on his corner box project and he wasn't going to be able to make it. He apologized and said he would ship her out ASAP. Friday he sent me the tracking number and she arrived today.

I just sit here staring at it. The scans do not do it justice. :headbang:

SandyStardust.jpg

Wow...just WOW !!!

I would like to say it was well worth the wait but its been a decade . Still its obvious Mr Jusko really took the time and effort on this one. Sexy and Uber-Cool ! Wont get any better

It's only been just over 5 years... I rounded it up and called it "the better part of" a decade to mess with Joe. ;)

As he was pumping out Marvel Masterpieces it seemed his work was getting better and better and better. I had no problem at all waiting.

The better part of a decade ago I talk with Joe about doing a Space Girl commission for me. He was into it but told me it was going to be awhile. He was working on some stuff for the ERB family and Marvel was likely going to hit him up to do some cards (which turned out to the the newest Marvel Masterpieces set). He and I chatted back and forth over the years and each time he apologized for the wait, assuring me, "It will be well worth the wait." I had no doubt.

Around the end of the summer he sent me a prelim and said he was starting. Knowing it was close, that's when time started to crawl by. He and I would chat on Facebook and he would give me updates... more like teasing me.

Finally one afternoon I was walking through the woods hunting and he messaged me... "Done!" I don't know that I was ready for what I saw next.

:o :o :o

He and I had planned to meet up in Dallas when he came to the con in early February and I was going to get it from him in person. Alas, he messaged me saying Marvel had pulled up the due date on his corner box project and he wasn't going to be able to make it. He apologized and said he would ship her out ASAP. Friday he sent me the tracking number and she arrived today.

I just sit here staring at it. The scans do not do it justice. :headbang:

SandyStardust.jpg

Sweet!! Joe had posted the pencil and prelims on his FB page back in august then posted the image in nov as part of a Sandy Stardust print. Didn't know who it was a commission.

Sweet!! Joe had posted the pencil and prelims on his FB page back in august then posted the image in nov as part of a Sandy Stardust print. Didn't know who it was a commission.

Thanks, Brian. Every time we talked about it he would get amped up. He said it was a nice break from doing all the superhero pieces. Once I saw the prelim I knew he was going to kill it.

GREAT Painting. Reminds me of Lost in Space.

The color scheme is perfect. Joe said he was going for a George Wilson, Gold Key vibe... totally nailed it.

Joe is one of the greats when it comes to comic paintings, and this is epic! Stunning colors and the detail is amazing!

How big is it? It looks like it would be really big, but you never know based off of a scan.

It's 24 x 18. Now I need to decide on a frame.

This is the story behind her, per Joe (which makes it just that much cooler)...

"I originally created Sandy years ago in a much more risque incarnation. When Ron Embleton passed away and the "Oh, Wicked Wanda" strip in Penthouse was canceled, I developed her as a possible strip idea for the magazine. She was originally a planet hopping nympho who found herself in myriad ridiculous encounters. I never did get around to submitting it she's been relegated to the occasional con sketch, until now."

And here's the progression...

Prelim-Pencils-Color Test

SandyStardust_Prelim.jpgSandyStardust_Pencils.jpg

SandyStardust_Colors.jpg

Progressive

SandyStardust_WIP1.jpgSandyStardust_WIP3.jpg

SandyStardust_WIP2s.jpg

SandyStardust_WIP4s.jpg

This is such a great piece- and I love seeing all the additional images showing the process- anyone get a bit of an I, Zombie actress vibe in the face? Not that it's a bad thing - just something I noticed. Will you be displaying this at any shows? I'd like to see it someday.

GREAT Painting. Reminds me of Lost in Space.

Not sure if you were aware, but jusko did some work for the Innovation lost in space series in I want to say the 90s.

innovation_annual_001.jpg