• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bernie Wrightson Retires...
1 1

45 posts in this topic

From his Facebook page...

Dear Fans and Friends,

I apologize for our silence for the past few months. Last November Bernie began falling again, and having obvious problems with perception. He had to undergo yet another brain surgery to relieve bleeding, and then spend several weeks undergoing in-patient rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it appears that he has lasting damage: he has extremely limited function on his left side, and is unable to walk or reliably use his left hand, among other limitations.

We have had to come to the sad conclusion that he is now effectively retired: he will produce no new art, and he is unable to attend conventions. Should this situation change I will happily announce it here.

He can still sign his name (in fact he was signing Kickstarter prints in the hospital!), and is otherwise pretty healthy and has good cognition. We expect to continue releasing signed prints, and offering occasional pieces of art for sale from the collection that remains. We both thank all of you for your continuing support and good wishes!

All our best,

Liz and Bernie Wrightson

I hate to see it, but given the constant advances in brain injuries and strokes, maybe there is still hope. I am heartbroken to think that Frankenstein Alive, Alive! will never be finished.

Same - this was the very next thought I had after the initial sadness had passed. It is a shame, and yet look at the quality of work he was able to do at his age and with his health where it was! Truly amazing, as I said in the OA forum, I hope he can recover and enjoy a well deserved retirement.

I hate to see it, but given the constant advances in brain injuries and strokes, maybe there is still hope. I am heartbroken to think that Frankenstein Alive, Alive! will never be finished.

Same - this was the very next thought I had after the initial sadness had passed. It is a shame, and yet look at the quality of work he was able to do at his age and with his health where it was! Truly amazing, as I said in the OA forum, I hope he can recover and enjoy a well deserved retirement.

I had made peace with the idea over the last three years or so but it still hurts to see it confirmed. It was just a week ago I was showing my son who is being introduced to art and painting, some of Bernie's art, showing how he made black hair "shine" on Frankenstein and how he used the light and shadow in the House of Secrets 103 cover.

sounds like he had a cerebral hemorage. my father had that. he never really recovered physically. wrightson is only 68. such a talent, such a shame. but at 68 maybe he'll be strong enough to get most of his life back even if the art isn't possible. my dad was in his 80s, different story.

:cry:

This was taken at the Greensboro Comic-Con a long- time ago, I believe it was the 1st time I had met any forum members I didn't already know from other cons or ebay.

From L to R: drbanner, arexcrooke, Wrightson, Sal, Rick_High

wrightson_con_zpshyfbfmn2.jpg

Terrible news. A stroke got my mom a few months back and it was tough seeing her vibrancy diminished in those last hours.

Even if he never puts pen to paper again I hope he recovers sufficiently to live without further debilitating effects. Prayers to him and his loved ones.

Terrible news. A stroke got my mom a few months back and it was tough seeing her vibrancy diminished in those last hours.

Even if he never puts pen to paper again I hope he recovers sufficiently to live without further debilitating effects. Prayers to him and his loved ones.

Well said. I have lamented not seeing a story finished but regardless, I hope he is well enough to enjoy himself and his family and friends.