• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Im always in the market for Blip.

FullSizeRender_zpsucpwrupj.jpg

kong_off_ii_1.jpg

That guy is...interesting. We have a big arcade expo/convention here in Louisville every year, and last year he was one of the guests of honor or whatever. He sells his own hot sauce and wears a suit everywhere. At the end of the night I saw him hovering over a kid that was playing Donkey Kong, like some kind of creepy, mulleted sensei.

I had no idea that Blip existed and now I want one. Thanks thread!

He was in the documentary King of Kong, which highlights the battle for worldwide high score in Donkey Kong. He is... interesting indeed. Great documentary to watch though, especially if you spent anytime in an arcade in the 80s.

Oh yeah, I LOVED King of Kong, but experiencing the dude in the flesh is pretty surreal. ha

kong_off_ii_1.jpg

Wow, he looks just like the actor they got to portray him in the movie Pixels. (Except for the height I mean.) I had no idea the character was styled after the actual Donkey Kong master, which, strangely, seems to be the case. Does that mean he cheated too, geez?

hEqmdvz.jpg

Im always in the market for Blip.

FullSizeRender_zpsucpwrupj.jpg

kong_off_ii_1.jpg

That guy is...interesting. We have a big arcade expo/convention here in Louisville every year, and last year he was one of the guests of honor or whatever. He sells his own hot sauce and wears a suit everywhere. At the end of the night I saw him hovering over a kid that was playing Donkey Kong, like some kind of creepy, mulleted sensei.

I had no idea that Blip existed and now I want one. Thanks thread!

He was in the documentary King of Kong, which highlights the battle for worldwide high score in Donkey Kong. He is... interesting indeed. Great documentary to watch though, especially if you spent anytime in an arcade in the 80s.

Oh yeah, I LOVED King of Kong, but experiencing the dude in the flesh is pretty surreal. ha

"There's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up."

Awesome movie. IIRC, the directors didn't originally plan to follow the Steve v Billy drama. It sort of started to develop and they decided to change focus and run with it.

Being a kid who loved playing games on the Atari and at the arcade, I was super excited when I saw the first issue of Blip on the stands. I bought it and issue #2 and then never saw another copy until I was an adult and I saw them in quarter boxes. Marvel and DC definitely threw everything at the wall and hoped it stuck back in the 1980s. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of the things that stuck. But, I hardly ever see these pop up in boxes anymore, so they are probably fairly uncommon, I would imagine. The last issue of Blip was the one I had the most trouble finding and then stumbled on a torn-up copy in a dollar box at an old antique shop a few years back.

Never thought that Blip would send people down a rabbit hole!

BTW, nobody answered my question about the 7-11 Marvel Giveaways. I also have some Kool-Aid Man ones, drawn by Dan DeCarlo. I'm guessing there are plenty of them out there, just not in great condition because they were not distributed in the direct market.

There are only 3 9.8s and I have two of them, so you know where most of them are. :banana:

!

As a Videogame collector I would say that most copies are owned by other Videogame collectors. This is not a rare book. In the late 90s-early 2000s I saw the book offered often and once in bulk at Videogame conventions. Of course you guys won't see that. Those collectors don't grade comics and most don't cross over into comic collecting. DC Swordquest Waterworld comic is harder to find than blip.

If you needed to find a copy of either of those the best place to ask would be on a vintage or Atari collecting website like atariage.

There are only 3 9.8s and I have two of them, so you know where most of them are. :banana:

!

As a Videogame collector I would say that most copies are owned by other Videogame collectors. This is not a rare book. In the late 90s-early 2000s I saw the book offered often and once in bulk at Videogame conventions. Of course you guys won't see that. Those collectors don't grade comics and most don't cross over into comic collecting. DC Swordquest Waterworld comic is harder to find than blip.

If you needed to find a copy of either of those the best place to ask would be on a vintage or Atari collecting website like atariage.

(Finding a copy of Blip 1) != (Finding a 9.8 candidate copy of Blip 1)

While its not uncommon to find these unread, time and apathy usually have taken their toll on them.

Now if my mother hadn't trashed my full run of Antic, then I'd have something... :facepalm: