• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder Damage?

16 posts in this topic

I recently received a reholdered comic book from CGC. I noticed that a small piece of the top-right corner of the cover was torn. It may have happened during shipping when it was in the original holder. The interesting thing about it is that it still maintained the original grade of 9.4 in spite of the small tear. Is it possible that the tear was not significant enough to warrant a lower grade? I am concerned about it because I plan on having the comic book signed one day, and I am hoping that it will still receive a grade of 9.4 when it is reholdered with a Signature Series label. Thank you in advance for any replies.

A pic is good but get the notes. If it does not mention the tear, there's your proof. I would contact CGC and get this taken care of now. I suspect the graders never even saw the book or the tear.A signing would surely result in a downgrade. Good luck.

I contacted CGC. The tear was absolutely not there when the comic book was shipped to be reholdered. Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done about it. That is why I plan on having the comic book signed one day. I am hoping that the signature will help to offset a potential lower grade. What may the lower grade be as a result of a small piece of the top-right corner of the cover being torn?

I am not tech-savvy Batman. 1/8 inch of the top-right corner of the cover is torn. I just measured it.

Unfortunately, without seeing it, an opinion on grade will just be guess work.

I'm wondering if it's a bindery tear. Take a look at this thread...

Link

Does it look anything like that?

I'm also wondering if it may have always been there and it just got "dislodged" in the reholdering.

Thank you for the reply, MadGenius. I was afraid of that. It is absolutely not a bindery tear, Batman. The corner was either torn off during shipping when it was in the original holder, or it was torn when the comic book was removed from the original holder in the process of being reholdered.

Edited by My young Padawan

I contacted CGC. The tear was absolutely not there when the comic book was shipped to be reholdered. Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done about it.

I am puzzled by this. There must be something you are not mentioning. Was the slab cracked or damaged when you sent it to CGC. ? If so, the damage is on you. If not, why were you having it reholdered ?

I had a lot of comic books reholdered, Paddy_McShillihan.  As a matter of fact, I have had several comic books reholdered since this terrible incident.  If you prefer the new holder, I will be the first collector to advise you to have your comic books reholdered.  It is definitely worth it.  Mistakes happen.  Best of luck.