• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Neglect

71 posts in this topic

Without a doubt, it would be the Adams & Smith run of Avengers from issue #93 through #100 from my point of view. :cloud9:

I still remember back in the day when Avengers 93 used to be one of the most valuable BA books in the marketplace. Not so much anymore, as it seems to have fallen right off the radar for some reason. Not so sure why since it is part of a classic Kree/Skull Wars story line and coupled with 52 pages and cover artwork by Neal Adams. (shrug)

+1

Many books to love

I'm so DC that thinking of Adams on Avengers just seems outlandish to me. Like picturing DiMaggio in a Red Sox uni, that bizarre. I have to admit, though, I am intrigued. Maybe I should look for a reprint of this run.

It's beautiful and an awesome story. One of the Aeams issues has a splash of Triton climbing out of the water onto a dock that is absolutely stunning.

Absolutely, 100% agree. It's an epic storyline. Just wish it had ended better. (thumbs u

Without a doubt, it would be the Adams & Smith run of Avengers from issue #93 through #100 from my point of view. :cloud9:

I still remember back in the day when Avengers 93 used to be one of the most valuable BA books in the marketplace. Not so much anymore, as it seems to have fallen right off the radar for some reason. Not so sure why since it is part of a classic Kree/Skull Wars story line and coupled with 52 pages and cover artwork by Neal Adams. (shrug)

+1

Many books to love

I'm so DC that thinking of Adams on Avengers just seems outlandish to me. Like picturing DiMaggio in a Red Sox uni, that bizarre. I have to admit, though, I am intrigued. Maybe I should look for a reprint of this run.

It's beautiful and an awesome story. One of the Aeams issues has a splash of Triton climbing out of the water onto a dock that is absolutely stunning.

Absolutely, 100% agree. It's an epic storyline. Just wish it had ended better. (thumbs u

Lots of nice Adams work in there; Ant-Man's fantastic voyage through the injured Vision, Black Bolt's shattering whisper, the great Triton splash page and the space battle between The Avengers and the Skrulls. The ending is a disappointing, overblown deus ex machina involving Rick Jones and some self-indulgent Golden Age nostalgia from the writer.

+1

Many books to love

DiMaggio was in a Red Sox uni. He just happened to be the less talented brother Dom. Still a great player in his day.

Screw the Yankees they still suck.

Great stuff. Adams' tenure on both X-Men and Avengers produced some of his best work ever. A lot of credit also goes to Tom Palmer, who seems a bit forgotten these days. I actually think he complemented Adams' pencils better than D-ck Giordano.

Great stuff. Adams' tenure on both X-Men and Avengers produced some of his best work ever. A lot of credit also goes to Tom Palmer, who seems a bit forgotten these days. I actually think he complemented Adams' pencils better than D-ck Giordano.

+1 on Tom Palmer as an inker. His work over Dan Adkins on Dr Strange is a beautiful run; easily but unfairly overlooked in the litany of great artists who drew Dr Strange: Ditko, Colan, Frank Brunner, Marshall Rogers. But Adkins/Palmer is right on par with the big names.

It would take me a couple days to lay my hands on my copy, so here's a link. Sorry!

a8712874dd9636a6f0c3940a8fb17ca1.jpg

works for me-- thanks

Thank YOU for figuring out how to use the link to get the image into the thread! So, did we oversell that splash, or do you agree?

+1

Many books to love

It's probably old news to you veterans, but in the trade paperback collection of the Kree-Skrull war, Neal Adams explains in the foreword that the title to Avengers 93 "This Beachhead Earth" was originally conceived & suggested by him to be called "Three Cows Shot Me Down" but that was deemed too frivolous by Thomas (the joke being a reference to the original three Skrull-cows from end of FF 2). He finally got to work it into the cover he did of the TPB.

Here -tG0wGco.jpg

Together with this story and the later Defenders/Avengers "war", the two Starlin sagas were the four big bronze era equivalents (for me growing up in 70s, anyway) of the long multi-part sagas in Thor and Doc Strange's early episodes, along with the Spiderman soap of course. Not comparing on a quality basis which is subjective, but they all had that epic must-read feel.

My title for neglected: stuck between Howard the Duck and The Invaders, I'll go instead with Captain Marvel. One of the very few who's stayed dead.