• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Marvel Value Stamp club
4 4

246 posts in this topic

I ask because I have an opportunity to get a couple books, partially to mostly filled. I figure maybe I can hunt down the rest...?

Partial is less valued than full books. Empty books are more valued as well.

I have seen partial books sell anywhere from $100-$250 and as high as $500+ depending on how many stamps it has and condition of booklet, and condition of stamps inside. Were the stamps neatly clipped and neatly glued in? Or do they look ugly?

It matters.

I have an empty booklet that is very high grade that I had signed by Stan Lee, and a second booklet that contains all stamps:

2%20Booklets_zpsfbictmcu.jpg

How did the books work? There were different series, A, B, etc...Were these supposed to contain all different stamps? Also, does anyone have any idea as to the value of partially filled books?

Series A stamps are different from series B.

Lots of information here:

http://www.mvstamps.com/introduction.htm

Booklets were empty with spaces for the stamps to be attached to. The various stamps were found inside comicbooks. Series A from 20 cent to 25 cent cover priced Marvel comics of different titles. The idea was you cut the stamp out and glued it into the booklet in the correct spot.

I ask because I have an opportunity to get a couple books, partially to mostly filled. I figure maybe I can hunt down the rest...?

I have seen partial books sell anywhere from $100-$250 and as high as $500+ depending on how many stamps it has and condition of booklet, and condition of stamps inside. Were the stamps neatly clipped and neatly glued in? Or do they look ugly?

It matters.

I have an empty booklet that is very high grade that I had signed by Stan Lee, and a second booklet that contains all stamps:

2%20Booklets_zpsfbictmcu.jpg

Artboy99, thank you for this, this is the EXACT type of information I was looking for, I appreciate it! I posted a request for information in the Comics General, but it didn't pan out.

You ask some good questions. Here is what I'm looking at purchasing: it's a complete book, all stamps present. The book on the outside is is yellowed and foxing, but the interior looks great, with the stamps presenting very well. What do you think?

167660.jpg.1acd108110565242f0c414d39702d343.jpg

167661.jpg.510ec31dc35cdc53181851aa280f5bc4.jpg

167662.jpg.bb689ad67bcb86c92d44c505b3ccae2f.jpg

167663.jpg.47b0279937ecf4e70c28606655959f80.jpg

167664.jpg.9b78845b881313f288faf1e265201336.jpg

How much are you being offered for this book?

I haven't bought one in years but I can perhaps guide you once I hear the price.

I haven't bought one in years but I can perhaps guide you once I hear the price.

Thanks Greggy, I appreciate it. His asking price is $350

If it was me, I would pass on that price mainly because the cover has the nasty foxing on it.

I've owned in the past up to five complete series one booklets so they do show up a lot more than the series two booklets.

Sometimes you just get lucky and treasures fall through the crack. I bought my keepers from a lot of two complete booklets from Heritage a few years back and they cost less than $300 total.

It matters.

Artboy99, thank you for this, this is the EXACT type of information I was looking for, I appreciate it! I posted a request for information in the Comics General, but it didn't pan out.

You ask some good questions. Here is what I'm looking at purchasing: it's a complete book, all stamps present. The book on the outside is is yellowed and foxing, but the interior looks great, with the stamps presenting very well. What do you think?

It isn't too bad, I might consider it if I was looking for a complete book, the interior is nice.

some current alternate sources / price comparisons:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=28691618

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_pgn=1&isRefine=false&_nkw=marvel%20value%20stamp%20book

Thanks Greggy, I appreciate it. His asking price is $350

If it was me, I would pass on that price mainly because the cover has the nasty foxing on it.

I've owned in the past up to five complete series one booklets so they do show up a lot more than the series two booklets.

Sometimes you just get lucky and treasures fall through the crack. I bought my keepers from a lot of two complete booklets from Heritage a few years back and they cost less than $300 total.

The exterior could be better condition, I agree with Greggy that it is yellowed and has the foxing, but the interior looks fantastic. The stamps were all cut with care and attached inside with some precision.

The asking price isn't that bad, but I agree that you can likely find a better condition exterior copy if you are patient.

I don't think you will find a better interior though if you seek a completed one.

If you can find one that is empty and desire a completed one with all the stamps attached inside I recommend do it yourself.

One other comment: the booklet you have been offered isn't necessarily complete. There is a question mark stamp 100, and the promo non number Hulk stamp, and a promo Hulk stamp with a "5" that most Value stamp collectors consider part of the stamp collection but there isn't really a place to secure these stamps in the booklet. Most leave them loose inside the booklet. If you decide to buy this booklet, you can always find the 3 missing ones and add them in loose.

So back in the 70's, was stamp collecting popular and do you think Marvel came up with the Marvel Value Stamps to compete against that hobby? Or do you think it was just some marketing ploy to try to sell more books?

Edited by VegasJeff

9 hours ago, SECollector said:

Such an interesting thread. I wonder if there are collectors who go for the complete set of actual cut, unglued stamps?

as youmay  have read earlier in this thread, several people have put together complete MVS collections--- featuring ALL of the books that had the stamps. Others have put together the stamps and put them into the collection book provided by Marvel. I still have all of my cut out stamps and in some cases no longer have the original  books-- both the series A and B. And in mylis ting of my collection via comic book realm-- I have noted the MVS status for each copy (including whether the stamp was cut out or in some cases sloppily torn out)-- also noting this on a post it on the backside of the backing board (mostly to avoid ever selling a book without informing the buyer the stamp is gone).

If I ever get the bug to collect these stamps again, I will only be interested in intact books. And don't get me started on Pin Ups.

I happened to be on the MVS website today and noticed a new item link talking about VARIANTS in marvel value stamps. Just when you thought the variant madness was completely identified-- nope-- another one pops up. It is sort of interesting though. If you have collected every book that ever had a MVS, you've got it covered. Not sure how many more books you need to get the full set of stamps though. They have a cool part that describes the three occurrences of stamp 54 (Shanna the She Devil-- notably the stamp from IH 181)

http://www.mvstamps.com/colors.htm

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, 01TheDude said:

I happened to be on the MVS website today and noticed a new item link talking about VARIANTS in marvel value stamps. Just when you thought the variant madness was completely identified-- nope-- another one pops up. It is sort of interesting though. If you have collected every book that ever had a MVS, you've got it covered. Not sure how many more books you need to get the full set of stamps though. They have a cool part that describes the three occurrences of stamp 54 (Shanna the She Devil-- notably the stamp from IH 181)

http://www.mvstamps.com/colors.htm

must...resist...collecting