• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade my ASM 1

15 posts in this topic

Just picked this up from a new OO collection.

I'm sure this book can be improved upon. But curious to hear thoughts.

No tape, no missing pages.

Both staples strongly attached on cover.

Centerfold still attached at top staple.

No big pieces missing.

ASM1_zpst8hlwrx2.jpg

ASM1bk_zpsbnokr8np.jpg

Edited by Rip

The book does appear to be structurally sound but in it's current condition I would say probably 1.8.

However, if you get that pressed by someone who knows what they are doing, I would not be surprised if it came back a 3.0.

This is a little off topic, but my spidey sense :grin: suggests ASM # 1 is gaining attention and will likely start going up in value.

1.8 Scott. Press put the spine roll and it's a 2.0

Cool, full date stamp on the spine. I've never seen that placed there. I imagine the stamper thought the stamp would not interfere with the cover by placing it to the side on the spine.

Good question. I honestly can't hazard a guess. It's pretty beat.

Is this a 1.0 - 1.5 kinda territory?

I think so, but seems I'm in a minority of very few. Not sure where all the GD or GD- are coming from, even with press and major restructuring and cleaning.

All the scratching, color losses, and those unattractive white spots on the cover alone bring it into weak GD territory, I thought. Then the rusted staples, fanning/roll, tears and chips and some tatter.

IF you send to CCS first, maybe a 3.0? [just kidding]

I'd agree with 1.8. More solid than your typical 1.5 (and no big pieces missing) but not as pretty as a 2.0. Fixing the spine roll may bump it to a 2.0, but I'd still feel solid at 1.8.

CGC 0.5

Not likely, unless some of the interior is missing, which the OP has indicated isn't the case.

A quick look at a bunch of CGC 0.5 listings on eBay right now show books that either are incomplete, missing huge chunks of the cover, or have detached covers with heavy, heavy wear that are being held on by gobs of tape. This book, as worn as it is, doesn't fit any of those parameters.

My feeling is it's a 1.0-1.5 now, but as Ed pointed out, a press to remove the spine roll could do wonders.