• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Silver keys taking off...
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I am always on the lookout for Batman Silver keys and I've noticed a real takeoff in activity. They have always been slow and steady climbers but this is getting nuts.

I believe it started with Batman 121 taking off like a rocket. Recently it is 181 because of the Poison Ivy Sirens news. But 155, 171, 189 are starting to take off to the point where its impossible to find any decent deals.

My question to other boardies: Are the Batman Silver keys going the way of the Superman keys like 242 & 252? I never thought that was possible but it feels like it.

I was thinking 155 and 171 might have gotten a little soft, but 181 has been very strong (and definitely picked up way before the GCS announcement). I think there's just been some flip-flopping as those consistently high-dollar keys like 155 and 171 are trading spots with books like 181 which were maybe undervalued before. Same thing seems to have happened with Tec 400 and Bats 232 taking a bit of a siesta while Tec 405 and Bats 251 blew up after years of lurking in the shadows.

I am always on the lookout for Batman Silver keys and I've noticed a real takeoff in activity. They have always been slow and steady climbers but this is getting nuts.

I believe it started with Batman 121 taking off like a rocket. Recently it is 181 because of the Poison Ivy Sirens news. But 155, 171, 189 are starting to take off to the point where its impossible to find any decent deals.

My question to other boardies: Are the Batman Silver keys going the way of the Superman keys like 242 & 252? I never thought that was possible but it feels like it.

i find this hard to believe as i own all of them

I wish I had waited a bit longer to sell off a lot of my multiples of Batman #155, 171, 181, and 189, as well as Tec #359, for another year or two. I was happy with the prices I got for them, but they seem to be taking another run up now.

Tec #359 is another Silver Batman key that keeps on running up. I take it that the Batgirl appearance in the Lego Movie is causing the speculation as it should lead to a live action film appearance as well. When that happens, the book could jump again.

Keep in mind that this hobby is still currently fueled by TV and Film speculation as to what the 'next big thing' is going to be. I think as long as Gotham is on the airwaves that there will continue to be interest in these books. Their Golden Age counterparts are out of reach for many collectors so the Silver Age reintroductions are the next best thing.

I still kick myself for not picking up a 232 years ago. I felt that the book would settle down some after the Dark Knight Trilogy had concluded. Instead I continue to see a hike in prices.

+1

and here I thought that Batman 155 was just a cool dragon cover and this was the good one;)

detective%2058%20001.jpg

I remember when I first started collecting Batman and Superman I thought how tough many more great villains Batman had vs. Superman. And although 242 and 252 were always pricier the gap wasn't huge.

But it made me want to collect Batman more because I grew watching these villains on the 60's TV show, the 80's animated show, the 80's and 90's movies and the 2000's trilogy. The back stories of the Batman villains were always deeper, darker and more intriguing. Nothing against Supergirl and Brainiac (and maybe the Parasite) but with the exception of Luther these characters were less interesting.

As a collector, I own 242 & 252 and am thrilled with the increases but I believe the Batman key villains are a better value even at their higher valuations. And I believe there is a room to grow.

Some of us can only dream of the Golden Age. I can afford 155 but this one well....one can dream :cloud9:

+1

and here I thought that Batman 155 was just a cool dragon cover and this was the good one;)

detective%2058%20001.jpg

Some of us can only dream of the Golden Age. I can afford 155 but this one well....one can dream :cloud9:

+1

detective%2058%20001.jpg

I used to say the same thing. Then I started buying Golden Age. It takes time and patience but it can be obtained. You may not get everything... but you can get some things.

Very true...and when I bought that book, it was not such a big deal, I was just interested in reading the story...same as the Batman 155. Things change all the time.

Just remember that if you like a cover or you just want to read a story;)

I used to say the same thing. Then I started buying Golden Age. It takes time and patience but it can be obtained. You may not get everything... but you can get some things.

To me, the great allure of GA is that there are a lot of books that you see maybe once or twice per year -- if that. Tracking them down is as much a matter of persistence and sleuthing as it is having the dough.

To me, the great allure of GA is that there are a lot of books that you see maybe once or twice per year -- if that. Tracking them down is as much a matter of persistence and sleuthing as it is having the dough.

That is why I stopped chasing GA in 2009, and I wish now that I had been more patient and just kept plodding along at a handful of books per year. doh!

I was on a selling spree in 2016...but mostly just my Marvel keys. This is the main reason I've held on to my DC keys like Bat#121, Action#242, Bat#181, Tec#359, etc...all have a lot of room to grow when compared to similar Marvel books...and they're harder to find. Now that DC is playing the movie game, these will all start to pick up steam and will shoot through the roof once these characters start showing up in post-credit scenes...alla. Thanos

I was on a selling spree in 2016...but mostly just my Marvel keys. This is the main reason I've held on to my DC keys like Bat#121, Action#242, Bat#181, Tec#359, etc...all have a lot of room to grow when compared to similar Marvel books...and they're harder to find. Now that DC is playing the movie game, these will all start to pick up steam and will shoot through the roof once these characters start showing up in post-credit scenes...alla. Thanos

I can't argue with this strategy. It just makes too much sense.

I made the switch in mid to late 2000s when Marvel's Cinematic Universe took off and DC SA keys were dirt cheap in comparison. My problem was that I started selling them too soon when prices doubled instead of holding for a while longer. :tonofbricks:

Edited by kimik

I made the switch in mid to late 2000s when Marvel's Cinematic Universe took off and DC SA keys were dirt cheap in comparison. My problem was that I started selling them too soon when prices doubled instead of holding for a while longer. :tonofbricks:

Yes. My Bat#121 has TRIPLED in price since I made the purchase. It's always difficult to time the peak of the market. Once I sell, I try not to look at market prices. I learned that lesson after selling my Walking Dead #1 at what I thought was close to the peak, only to see it double again.

Yes. My Bat#121 has TRIPLED in price since I made the purchase. It's always difficult to time the peak of the market. Once I sell, I try not to look at market prices. I learned that lesson after selling my Walking Dead #1 at what I thought was close to the peak, only to see it double again.

There still are deals to be had. Last spring I snagged a GD/VGish copy of #121 for $400 CDN at a local show, and convinced the collector who showed it to me to buy the FN #181 from the same seller for $150 CDN. I would have taken it if he didn't.