• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Birthday tribute – Sal Buscema turns 81 today!

36 posts in this topic

Share the Sal love – post your favorite stories, art … anything Sal related!

In honor of Sal’s birthday – I posted one of my pages to CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1370936

I also posted to my site:

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/happy-81st-birthday-to-the-incredible-sal-buscema/

And if you never listed to the interview on the site, it is a great listen:

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/sal-buscema-hulk-interview-podcast-and-a-great-commission-opportunity/

Sal is one of my favorite all time artists so I like this topic. I've always put him on par with John. I believe Sal to be a top 3 comic artist of all time for one reason...longevity of relevance. How many artists have been working consistently for 50 years straight....and stayed relevant to both older and newer readers? He worked on nothing but high end books for major publishers. His style evolved and became influential on generations of newer artists. John Romita and Ditko worked as long but they became stuck in the style they were known for in the silver age. Sal's style evolved with the market and the desires of more current standards, but as we have seen recently in commissions he can still knock out that lush bronze style work so many of us love and respect.

I cant think of any other artist who really is on his level in terms of quality, quantity, and era. Its almost like David Bowie, constantly changing constantly producing constantly working. Happy Birthday, Sal!

Here are my two favorite Buscema pieces i have shared publicly.

E119YQqr_2209151935501.jpg

D16Dla5K_2608161722151gpadd.jpg

Happy Birthday, Sal!

Earlier today, I just finished reading his TwoMorrows book (for the third time!) -- Sal Buscema: Comics Fast & Furious Artist: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=794. This book includes the self-portrait featured on Jade Giant's site, and some of Sal's excellent gouache paintings along with extensive comic art generously provided by Eelco and others.

Sal's longevity and consistency are legendary. When Marvel had so much trouble shipping books late during the 70's, I wonder how many months they made payroll based primarily on Sal's ability to actually get the work done on-time...for multiple books!

Love his early stuff...inking brother John on Surfer #4, doing the Avengers #67 cover and the #68 story. And Zhamlau has a great point...I can't think of any other artist who was so open to effectively evolving his style over such a long career, with Sal taking inspiration from Walt Simonson and Bill Sienkiewicz among others. Sal's work on the Balder the Brave limited series and Hulk #256 are among my favorite from his later work: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/hulk_256.shtml

I've made a run at some of his pages, including those Avengers #68 pages that have gone to auction, but never won. I'll have to keep trying...

I don't own a Sal Buscema published piece, but I do have this:

Ah, so it was you that picked this up. I had 5 people notify me of this auction. Fortunately I already have one that Sal did for me. It's a great piece - congrats!

Happy Birthday, Sal!

Earlier today, I just finished reading his TwoMorrows book (for the third time!) -- Sal Buscema: Comics Fast & Furious Artist: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=794. This book includes the self-portrait featured on Jade Giant's site, and some of Sal's excellent gouache paintings along with extensive comic art generously provided by Eelco and others.

Sal's longevity and consistency are legendary. When Marvel had so much trouble shipping books late during the 70's, I wonder how many months they made payroll based primarily on Sal's ability to actually get the work done on-time...for multiple books!

Love his early stuff...inking brother John on Surfer #4, doing the Avengers #67 cover and the #68 story. And Zhamlau has a great point...I can't think of any other artist who was so open to effectively evolving his style over such a long career, with Sal taking inspiration from Walt Simonson and Bill Sienkiewicz among others. Sal's work on the Balder the Brave limited series and Hulk #256 are among my favorite from his later work: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/hulk_256.shtml

I've made a run at some of his pages, including those Avengers #68 pages that have gone to auction, but never won. I'll have to keep trying...

The F&F book is a great read, agreed! I had a shot at a Sal Avangers page early in my Sal quest and made the wrong call and did not buy it. A major collecting regret.

Sal,is without question the Best artist to portray the incredible Hulk's action and rage, and even his somber and sadness. Happy 81st Birthday to one of the finest artist regarding all-out battle pages to ever put pencil to paper.

Preach, brother Dom!

I don't own a Sal Buscema published piece, but I do have this:

Ah, so it was you that picked this up. I had 5 people notify me of this auction. Fortunately I already have one that Sal did for me. It's a great piece - congrats!

Thank you! Sal is a favorite Hulk artist of mine. I couldn't pass it up.

So I was excited to get this page a long while ago, but even more when I got a chance 10 years later to have Sal sign it. Happy Birthday Sal!

defenders1p3large.jpg

Wow, that is an absolutely fantastic page! Thanks for sharing! Color me green with envy!

Sal is one of my favorite all time artists so I like this topic. I've always put him on par with John. I believe Sal to be a top 3 comic artist of all time for one reason...longevity of relevance. How many artists have been working consistently for 50 years straight....and stayed relevant to both older and newer readers? He worked on nothing but high end books for major publishers. His style evolved and became influential on generations of newer artists. John Romita and Ditko worked as long but they became stuck in the style they were known for in the silver age. Sal's style evolved with the market and the desires of more current standards, but as we have seen recently in commissions he can still knock out that lush bronze style work so many of us love and respect.

I cant think of any other artist who really is on his level in terms of quality, quantity, and era. Its almost like David Bowie, constantly changing constantly producing constantly working. Happy Birthday, Sal!

Here are my two favorite Buscema pieces i have shared publicly.

E119YQqr_2209151935501.jpg

D16Dla5K_2608161722151gpadd.jpg

Great points - Sal has such a storied history. I truly believe he will one day be recognized as one of the all time greats. Great pages - congrats!!!