• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

I never saw it in person, Tony....... Mark does seem to have a tainted rep around here..... but everything I ever got from him came back with a clean bill of health, but then, that was mostly VG/F Joker covers from the 40's. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

i giggled.

Thanks gents!! Hard to grade a book based on a front cover scan but looked like a 1.5 or so to me which is basically my wheelhouse as you all know by now so i was going to wreck house as a friend of mine likes to say!!. Hoping the pages are solid but it was gamble i was willing to take. Thanks for no one bidding me up even more because i won't lie i would have went higher for it!! :juggle:

Does that make me crazy?? Don't answer that we already know haha!! They say money can't buy happiness!! Well it just did :D I am going to cherish this book so very much!! Can't wait to get side by side pics with my current copy (hand draw cover)!!! You will all be the first to see!!

Sorry, my bad, not sure where I got $4k from.

Anyhow: Gino! It had to be you! Always you! Well done Sir.

Thank you good sir and no worries Jay just friendly interesting conversation!! You and I share very similar interests and you're a great dude so we're ALWAYS good!! :)

Sidenote - Just to mention if you go back in this thread which i've combed through Many times The Legend himself JB said Weird 20 was probably the hardest to secure of the run and who am I not to trust him!! This was the only Weird book published in 42' (January) which once again we already have established is my current passion. Everyone holding onto a copy can thank me later when it comes time to sell haha!! I want to be known as the man that defies GPA and could never recoup his initial investment just bought what he loved and enjoyed every minute of it. Boy i Sound WEIRDer and WEIRDer with every letter I type...How fitting??!! :grin:

You are a true credit to these boards, and a gentleman to boot!

Guess I better start from page 1 of the Fox thread; looks like there's a lot to be learned in those historic pages.

Even though it's a scarce Hitler and Churchill war cover, still looks like a relatively strong price at over $4K for a VG+ copy. (thumbs u

I was casually following the bidding for Weird 20. With only 3 bidders in the game it had already hit ~$1900 (with BP); then a 4th bidder steps in later... and the final hammer at $4000+ for a book at GD- 1.8!! :o

Looks like I can probably forget about completing that run.

Yes, my bad as I should stop stop trying to Google auction results on a small cell phone screen which is harder to read. That VG+ auction result was from back in 2013. doh!

Yes, now it's most definitely a crazy strong price at $2,868 for a RAW G- copy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/weird-comics-20-fox-features-syndicate-1942-condition-gd-/a/121704-14679.s?ic3=ViewItem-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=1

Pretty much as crazy as the VG copy of U.S. Jones #2 that sold last summer for almost $5K. But at least that one was a graded and slabbed copy. But still...... :o:o:o

Was wondering where you guys were getting the $4K from. Still, a strong price.

Strong price for sure!!! It's a good thing it fits into my humble collection so perfectly!! Gotta take em where you can get em right!! :acclaim:

Pics to Come sooner than later!!

From your closed sales thread, I had a hunch that this was the grail you were going after. Glad you got to hang on to both and congratulations!

Even though it's a scarce Hitler and Churchill war cover, still looks like a relatively strong price at over $4K for a VG+ copy. (thumbs u

I was casually following the bidding for Weird 20. With only 3 bidders in the game it had already hit ~$1900 (with BP); then a 4th bidder steps in later... and the final hammer at $4000+ for a book at GD- 1.8!! :o

Looks like I can probably forget about completing that run.

Yes, my bad as I should stop stop trying to Google auction results on a small cell phone screen which is harder to read. That VG+ auction result was from back in 2013. doh!

Yes, now it's most definitely a crazy strong price at $2,868 for a RAW G- copy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/weird-comics-20-fox-features-syndicate-1942-condition-gd-/a/121704-14679.s?ic3=ViewItem-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=1

Pretty much as crazy as the VG copy of U.S. Jones #2 that sold last summer for almost $5K. But at least that one was a graded and slabbed copy. But still...... :o:o:o

Was wondering where you guys were getting the $4K from. Still, a strong price.

Strong price for sure!!! It's a good thing it fits into my humble collection so perfectly!! Gotta take em where you can get em right!! :acclaim:

Pics to Come sooner than later!!

From your closed sales thread, I had a hunch that this was the grail you were going after. Glad you got to hang on to both and congratulations!

Thanks brother!!! yeah if i had to choose between the 2 i would take the Weird 20 and some may find that odd with how classic the MMC46 is i just figured it would be more easily replaced down the road. Now that i get to hang on to both i am elated to say the least!! thanks again!!

Nice. I wonder if Navy Jones is related to U.S. Jones hm

lol AND great Copy Johnny545!!! One of the top 3 covers of the Entire run IMO along with the 8 and the 9 (all of which happen to coincide with the late 41' early 42' thing you all hear me spouting out all the time.)

I USED to find them. Rarely if ever do any more. I wish they were better shape but sometimes you get what you can. Back when everyone was chasing Supes and Bats, I was chasing this stuff because nobody wanted it...

Fantastic stuff, gents!!!

How WEIRD is this??!!!! :cloud9:

The second pic was taken to more or less ask a question to the great board detectives here. Heritage states, "A classic Hitler and Winston Churchill cover, by an unknown artist."

The Eagle 3 was signed by Romana Patenaude. Can we come to a conclusion that Weird 20 was penciled by her as well? I believe we can but would love to hear your opinions.

32649221336_8dfabac31d_b.jpg

32567862421_d1bb1d40a2_b.jpg

Thanks J!!!!! Just following your lead brother!!...While I have em out I figured I would grab some more pics hope ya'll don't mind. Anyone care to venture what rather Fantastic book seems to be missing from this Foxy trio here??

31880500493_d0c7cda992_b.jpg