• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

Hey guys, haven't been around...what's the deal with the blue label CGC # 2 6.5? It seems like an obvious error on CGC's part, and the seller on ebay is claiming it's the highest-graded?

He opted to take the blue label and take a lower grade than have the green qualified label... it may be highest blue label?!? Which is dumb

Hey guys, haven't been around...what's the deal with the blue label CGC # 2 6.5? It seems like an obvious error on CGC's part, and the seller on ebay is claiming it's the highest-graded?

He opted to take the blue label and take a lower grade than have the green qualified label... it may be highest blue label?!? Which is dumb

I haven't stayed current on CGC policy, is this an option they provide now? I don't understand why they would treat each book differently, shouldn't all books be the green or blue label?

To me this seems like an error on their part, no different than when they incorrectly put yellow labels on iberfor's (sp?) books.

Edited by spreads

I thought so, since I have a 6.5 blue myself. But as RMA has explained, and bc as well, he opted to take the lower grade in blue.

Why I could not for the life wonder...

I thought so, since I have a 6.5 blue myself. But as RMA has explained, and bc as well, he opted to take the lower grade in blue.

I'm missing something- how are these ashcans coming up as blue label? Doesn't the unwitnessed signature automatically make them green labels?

Does anyone know the seller? He's advertising the book as highest in blue label, which is clearly a misrepresentation.

I'm missing something- how are these ashcans coming up as blue label? Doesn't the unwitnessed signature automatically make them green labels?

Seems like a change in policy on CGC's part? In my opinion that seems arbitrary and reduces credibility.

Seems like a change in policy on CGC's part? In my opinion that seems arbitrary and reduces credibility.

It's RMA's last or second to last one, I am sure.

As far as I know, they all should be green labels, I cannot fathom the selection process. I do know that the owner can make that specific request.

As for reducing credibility, I cannot agree with that. If the owner is fine taking a hit on the grade to have a blue label, that is up to them.

I am more worried about the price they are peddling it for. Quite hilarious, no matter how long they leave it for sale (Which to my knowledge has been at least a year)

This option has been there for years on accepting lower grade blue label with signatures counted as a defect.

OK- that makes sense. How much does that lower the grade?

Unsure. Considering on these specifically there are so many ink blotches and the like, I am willing to bet at least a full grade, if not one and a half

They treat them as "writing on the cover" instead of signature on a cover. Since Kieth's signature is pretty large, I would think it's a pretty significant hit. That book is probably an 8.5 green label?

So, a few things....when this change of label affects the grade, it further complicates the grading criteria of all books, which should be consistent. How do we determine the 'penalty' from what the grade is other than guessing maybe the book is a 8.5?

Let's say I have a regular unsigned different comic that's a 6.5, compare it to that Maxx 6.5 and wonder why the grades/conditions don't match up.

Second point, the seller is clearly miss-representing buyers by stating this is the highest graded, which is totally false. If this was a Maxx Black that wasn't signed by Keith, it would be a blue label.

They treat them as "writing on the cover" instead of signature on a cover. Since Kieth's signature is pretty large, I would think it's a pretty significant hit. That book is probably an 8.5 green label?

So, a few things....when this change of label affects the grade, it further complicates the grading criteria of all books, which should be consistent. How do we determine the 'penalty' from what the grade is other than guessing maybe the book is a 8.5?

Let's say I have a regular unsigned different comic that's a 6.5, compare it to that Maxx 6.5 and wonder why the grades/conditions don't match up.

Second point, the seller is clearly miss-representing buyers by stating this is the highest graded, which is totally false. If this was a Maxx Black that wasn't signed by Keith, it would be a blue label.

I don't see the label change all that much on other books, maybe once before. It seems common on MAXX Ashcans and I have three of them which I'm sending back to be green labels. I purchased them as blue labels and tbey don't fit the rest of my set as blue labels.

It would be pretty hard to compare another 6.5 book to a MAXX ashcan 6.5 book. The Ashcans are pretty different from regular comics... from the cover, interior pages etc.

Yes, the seller is misrepresenting the book.