• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

It is worn out. I was expecting a different approach with VII and instead we get what feels like a rehash of IV.

That is my opinion.

So would you have rather had Episodes 1-3 again? Why is following the formula a bad thing? It works. Go look at some Joseph Campbell. This has all been done.

Why can't some people just be kids and enjoy movies?

It is worn out. I was expecting a different approach with VII and instead we get what feels like a rehash of IV.

That is my opinion.

So would you have rather had Episodes 1-3 again? Why is following the formula a bad thing? It works. Go look at some Joseph Campbell. This has all been done.

Dunno, I can't speak for other people

I sometimes fell like a monstrous hypocrite when it comes to Star Wars and superhero movie. On one hand I complain about the complete lack of originality in movies right now. So much is sequels or remakes, or re-imaginations. On the other hand I can't wait for the next Star Wars or Marvel movie.

I'm definitely eager to see Star Wars VIII and GOTG2. The rest of the Marvel's lineup, not as much. Mostly because they have become repetitive. I might change my mind if they actually introduce a decent villain. Or tell a different kind of story.

Edited by rjrjr

Hearing a rumor (at the moment) that they are getting rid of the Force, hence the title of the next movie (Luke will be/is the last Jedi--meet the Skywalkers from now on.) Any inside info to confirm this in any way?

Edited by fett

Hearing a rumor (at the moment) that they are getting rid of the Force, hence the title of the next movie (Luke will be/is the last Jedi--meet the Skywalkers from now on.) Any inside info to confirm this in any way?

But the Sith such as Kylo or Snoke use the force, too, so huh? ???

Neither Snoke or Kylo are Sith, tho both are force users so the thought still applies.

I'm definitely eager to see Star Wars VIII and GOTG2. The rest of the Marvel's lineup, not as much. Mostly because they have become repetitive. I might change my mind if they actually introduce a decent villain. Or tell a different kind of story.

I'm optimistic about Thor Ragnarok being different.

Neither Snoke or Kylo are Sith, tho both are force users so the thought still applies.

I heard Abrams say that, but I never heard him explain it. The goals and usage of the force by Kylo seems identical to those of the Sith, so how is he not one? It's possible he only meant that he's not a Sith yet because he hasn't completed his training. Much in the same way that Yoda wasn't prepared to call Luke a Jedi as a way to urge him to complete his training before he faced Vader.

I'm not buying it. To me, that would be like hollywood trying to explain away gravity. I don't know...

I heard Abrams say that, but I never heard him explain it. The goals and usage of the force by Kylo seems identical to those of the Sith, so how is he not one? It's possible he only meant that he's not a Sith yet because he hasn't completed his training. Much in the same way that Yoda wasn't prepared to call Luke a Jedi as a way to urge him to complete his training before he faced Vader.

It's not just Abrams it's also the Star Was story group (who oversee canon throughout the properties, including, especiall, the films) and in-canon novelizations. I know what you are saying if you are (or anyone is - and I'm not saying you are) a casual Star Wars fan but there have been many darkside users who aren't Sith and I feel people often feel like they are synonyms. For instance the inquisitors are Darkside users trained by Palpatine and/or Vader but are not Sith or ever would be.

Who knows what the future holds but at this point we are explicitly told Kylo's master is not a Sith, but is a force user who has had other (at least one) apprentices. While Kylo certainly has some attachment to his grandfather it doesn't mean he is a Sith.

Will something happen to Snoke, and Kylo follow his grandfather's path? Hell, maybe he views the Sith as weak, considering their defeat to the Jedi, we don't really know. What we currently know is that we've been told specifically both are darkside users, one a master, but are not part of the Sith.

Sith are just one group of darkside users, they don't have a monopoly on the dark side just like Jedi don't the light.

Who knows what the future holds but at this point we are explicitly told Kylo's master is not a Sith, but is a force user who has had other (at least one) apprentices. While Kylo certainly has some attachment to his grandfather it doesn't mean he is a Sith.

Will something happen to Snoke, and Kylo follow his grandfather's path? Hell, maybe he views the Sith as weak, considering their defeat to the Jedi, we don't really know. What we currently know is that we've been told specifically both are darkside users, one a master, but are not part of the Sith.

Abrams's exact comment was that "Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force." That doesn't explicitly say Snoke isn't a Sith. Either way he said this about a year after he told everyone that Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't Khan, so I can't tell anymore if he means what he says during the promotion of an upcoming film.

I was thinking it was going to be something like "The 1st Order Strikes Back".

I guess I was wrong.

lol

Abrams's exact comment was that "Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force." That doesn't explicitly say Snoke isn't a Sith. Either way he said this about a year after he told everyone that Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't Khan, so I can't tell anymore if he means what he says during the promotion of an upcoming film.

Like I said, it's not just Abrams. The story group, specifically the creative executive of the Lucasfilm Story Group, has specifically stated neither Snoke or Kylo are Sith nor were there any in Episode 7 when asked after the movie was already out.

The Khan thing had some actual content to the movie. In comparison, who cares if they ot Sith are not (especially after the film has been released)? It's a detail not worth lying about/covering up, know what I mean? It's not worth being a secret.

That is my opinion.

It's an opinion shared by others. I enjoyed Rogue One more then Force Awakens, which I have not rewatched after seeing it in the theatres. It was a decent popcorn movie, but not worth the wait and hype we all had to endure.

Which is a shame, because Star Wars Clone Wars/Rebels has taken a more interesting tack on fleshing out parts of the SW universe that were largely unexplored, or touched upon only in novels. It just seems to me the sooner they are done with the Skywalker saga, the better we as Star Wars fans will actually be served.

That is my opinion.

Yes actually. The Force Awakens made me appreciate the prequel trilogy all just a little bit more. I've heard where Adam Driver said that Episode VIII is their "ESB". That is kinda crappy to be honest. I already saw the Empire Strikes Back. Why would I want to see a reinterpreted version of it?

At least the Prequels did things a little bit different. They were not as great as the middle trilogy, but they fit in and attempted new story telling without repeating everything. (Except in E1 where they blow up the droid ship - that was like destroying a death star).

Rogue One restored my faith in Star Wars that there are new stories to tell in between Episodes 1-6. Episode VIII will determine whether or not they are capable of pushing the Skywalker storyline further without repeating what has been done in a feeble attempt at a cash grab.

That is my opinion.

It's an opinion shared by others. I enjoyed Rogue One more then Force Awakens, which I have not rewatched after seeing it in the theatres. It was a decent popcorn movie, but not worth the wait and hype we all had to endure.

Which is a shame, because Star Wars Clone Wars/Rebels has taken a more interesting tack on fleshing out parts of the SW universe that were largely unexplored, or touched upon only in novels. It just seems to me the sooner they are done with the Skywalker saga, the better we as Star Wars fans will actually be served.

Agreed... BTW... I JUST started watching the animated Clone Wars and I must say I am quite impressed. I am up to Season 1 Episode 17.