• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

Question:

I purchased the Gamora JSC Exclusive from the JSC Store Online.

They shipped it fast, kudos to their fulfillment system!

However, the books came not damaged per se, but not in 9.8 worthy condition with obvious indentations on the spine, enough to say it's probably a 9.2 - 9.6 candidate.

I eliminate the postal delivery and packaging as the culprits since the box is nice and sturdy, a very high quality comic book mailer.

So, I'm of course assuming it was either the nature of the beast, and the print run was subject to flawed production of the books with dings, or possibly the handling on the fulfillment side where maybe it was bent in the process of the handling and packaging (which I sort of doubt since it's their business to cater to nit-picky condition queens).

My question is...

Is that just the way the cookie crumbles and how the dice rolls?

Or, is it a reasonably inquiry to the JSC store for some sort of replacement or partial refund or some compensation?

I do realize not every book is going to be a 9.8, otherwise the 9.8 wouldn't be so coveted, but I also hear so many good things about how the JSC store delivers top quality condition books, and my 1st order here came in shy of those expectations.

I've ordered many, many times and always got my books in great condition. However, I must also say that I've never graded any of my books (but I do identify when there are folds, spine indentations or other minor details with the books).

For this Gamora cover I've heard that there are some complaints in how the books are being shipped now, so maybe you can also complain directly to their site.

I still have not received my copies, but will let you know how it goes. As I'm outside the US, maybe it'll take a month or so. =/

I got my Gamora's last week with the same results. I concur, that it was not a shipping problem. The books were packaged nicely and the box was not damaged. I don't think they guarantee 9.8 . IMO, it's just the way it is. The books were similar to an LCS comic that was on the rack for a few hours. Just light handling flaws.

Mine came in fine. Probably in the 9.6-9.8 range. But sometimes things happen. By the sound of it, your books are intact & they don't guarantee perfect books. That's the risk. My X-Men 92 Psylocke color variant had a couple very very minor spine tics on it when I got it that probably would make it a 9.2-9.4, but the other dozen or 3 books that I've bought from them have been in the 9.6-9.8 range. Sometimes you just gotta accept that not every book, even pulled immediately out of the box & bagged/boarded, is going to be near-perfect.

sorry to hear about your luck. But this is something that could happen anywhere.

Is it just me or did JSC increase their price for the signed venom 3 from $175 (pre the delay) to $200. Maybe they want a slice of the pie from the pre-sellers?

Damn! He did increase the price to $200. But now there is an option, not for collectors obviously, described as variant with "some imperfections" for $100.

Too bad he's increasing the price to an already very expensive cover.

Still cheaper than the bay.

Is it just me or did JSC increase their price for the signed venom 3 from $175 (pre the delay) to $200. Maybe they want a slice of the pie from the pre-sellers?

Damn! He did increase the price to $200. But now there is an option, not for collectors obviously, described as variant with "some imperfections" for $100.

This is why I believe the prices went up. Does not bother me any. He did the cover and if joe schmoe is getting 150+ for the book, why the hell should he not get the same.

:facepalm:

Great artist and I still buy his comics (cover price). But this is :censored:

This is why I believe the prices went up. Does not bother me any. He did the cover and if joe schmoe is getting 150+ for the book, why the hell should he not get the same.

Or even simpler, if you think it's too much don't buy it. He will sell out no problem.

How much do those artists usually get from their variant sales?

From what I understand or hear, in this case, it would be 100% minus the cost of goods.

So, I think Marvel will have rights of refusal/approval of the artist and artwork on these "retailer variants" (in this case it's owned and operated by JSC) and I think there's a minimum order of around 2,000-5,000 - but in the case with a superstar like JSC, the rulebook makes exceptions, and I thought I heard the retailer buys the books at 1/2 of cover price, and then sells the books.

So, if this book has a $3.99 cover price that would be $2 per book, and at $200, that's a profit of $198 per book, less the overhead costs of those bags/boards and running the operations (website maintenance, fulfillment, packaging supplies, employee labor, etc.)

I'm not sure it that's 100% correct, but that is what I though I heard.

This isn't a retailer or store variant though. This is a ratio variant that Marvel & Diamond distribute.

I have NO idea how JSC's store got his hands on that many of that ratio variant though. My quick google search showed that this was a 1:100 variant. And I don't see him buying up 9000 regular covers to get that many of the variant.

Edited by Doktor

This isn't a retailer or store variant though. This is a ratio variant that Marvel & Diamond distribute.

I have NO idea how JSC's store got his hands on that many of that ratio variant though. My quick google search showed that this was a 1:100 variant. And I don't see him buying up 9000 regular covers to get that many of the variant.

He asked for that many as part of his contract to do the cover.

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if Marvel did that sorta thing with ANY artist.

On a side note (and I'll whisper this in case you-know-who wanna show up to argue about it some more), this does kill the whole notion of estimating variant print runs based on total sales & ratio. lol

Venom #3 Sold Out in seconds... I couldn't even get a copy of the NM... And I tried getting a VF, but it disappeared from my cart as I was checking out via PayPal. ARGH!!!

Edited by Praxis52

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if Marvel did that sorta thing with ANY artist.

On a side note (and I'll whisper this in case you-know-who wanna show up to argue about it some more), this does kill the whole notion of estimating variant print runs based on total sales & ratio. lol

Actually, it doesn't.

Creator courtesy copies as well as remaindered case packs have always been factored into the conversation. (thumbs u

-J.

Actually, it doesn't.

Creator courtesy copies as well as remaindered case packs have always been factored into the conversation. (thumbs u

-J.

SHHHHHHH!!!!! :gossip:

Actually, it doesn't.

-J.

SHHHHHHH!!!!! :gossip:

:shy:

lol

-J.