• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAREDEVIL #1 CLUB
15 15

940 posts in this topic

Wow, two CGC 9.4's about to come up for sale auction style in February. One on comiclink that is clearly the better copy and has white pages. The other on comicconnect with a date stamp on it and off-white to white pages. Should be interesting!!!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2017feb%26x%3D%2D404%26y%3D%2D1083%26pg%3D5%23Item%5F1163726&id=1163726

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=645896

The ComicLink copy is really sweet. The CC copy is nice, but not as nice as that White pager.

Yeah I'm really excited to see what they go for. As I recall, the comicconnect copy has been up for sale on there for some time at like $19K with a high offer of around $16500. Personally, for that copy I may have taken the $16500. I mean I get it's a 9.4 but with the date stamp I'm not sure it will break that much in auction, but we'll see.

Edited by LDarkseid

That 9.4 on ComicConnect is not worthy of the grade!!

I agree, don't like the looks of it at all. Actually the date stamp does not bother me but, compared to the Clink 9.4, it's hard to believe they both have the same grade.

That 9.4 on ComicConnect is not worthy of the grade!!

I agree, don't like the looks of it at all. Actually the date stamp does not bother me but, compared to the Clink 9.4, it's hard to believe they both have the same grade.

The CC has a stain or some foxing on the date stamp and there's a rather large CBC on the back cover. The Clink book seems a lot cleaner and still has some bounce to it. Sort of smoker vs non-smoker. However, I don't think either of them would get a 9.4 if they went through the gauntlet today.

I think they are both worthy of the 9.4 grade - than and now.

Scan factor and new vs older slab might have some to do with varying looks and appeals on these two. 2c

(Personally, seeing "WHITE Pages" on a 9.4 DD #1 sways me big time...

I'm a date stamp fan too and actually dig the placement of that one)

I don't see anything wrong with the ComicLink copy that would keep it out of 9.4. If I was still in the market that copy would be tempting to me. The ComicConnect copy has some issues that appear in the scan that I'm not sure are as bad in real-life as they appear in that scan. If I were interested in it, I'd get the graders notes. The "stain" is definitely not a stain, for example, and I wonder how much you would even see it in hand.

They're both sharp copies, to me. My only concerns would be that the copy on the Link has more of a miscut cover (common for this book, narrower at the top than the bottom, as visible along the right edge), and the date stamp on the copy on CC looks to have run, most probably from applied humidity and heat.

I agree that the copy on the Link looks like it has fresher paper.

Yes indeed

There are only a select few slabbed 9.2+ DD #1s that don't have the infamous miscut. Or rather, a select few, with noticeably less of the miscut.

When comparing both scans side by side last night, after my weeks worth of drooling over the White Pages and vibrant curb appeal of the Clink book - I saw the miscut. BUT only when I brought my copy off the shelf to compare the three books. Than it jumped out me. It is obviously greater than the CC's miscut. Overlooked by me prior due to my own biases and kind of just an optical illusion with the bright white side or something.

For me, the rarity of 9.4+ White Paged #1s still makes it one of my favorite 9.4s I've ever seen. The new holder might add to its purdyness for me.

The CC's date stamp is very neat and unique where it's stamped imho. I totally concur with Rob, grader's notes needed and that book would be nice to see in person. (Like to see in hand the back of the book, around the top left and bottom left innerwell tabs)

I feel some flaws could be enhanced via the scan. Heck just seeing it in New holder, could make a big diff, especially when up against its vibrant competitor.

Edited by icculus308win

Look at the Back cover of the CC copy. It looks like the book is swimming in the inner well with a touch of SCS going on already. Both the top and bottom edge are bent. Nothing that probably can't be fixed but the book should be reholdered and those edges made straight.

The Clink copy has much better centering. I can see the whole of the letter 'M' in Marvel.

The CC copy has the 'M' cut off slightly.

Edited by bomber-bob

Exactly what I was seeing and thinking Bob (thumbs u

From a safety and conservation standpoint, new holder - smart move.

(Top left back tab.....start of tearrr? Bottom left tab....about to? Or just too much scan enhancement?)

:hi: It does look like the start of a tear but it may just be bent with the light refracting.

It would be a smart move to get it reholdered . I don't understand it. (shrug)

So any takers on some fun guesstimations for what they will go for? I'm going to say $16,200 for the Comicconnect copy and $19,450 for the Comiclink copy. I mean white pages come on! That bad boy should break some DD 1 CGC 9.4 recent records.

Exactly what I was seeing and thinking Bob (thumbs u

From a safety and conservation standpoint, new holder - smart move.

(Top left back tab.....start of tearrr? Bottom left tab....about to? Or just too much scan enhancement?)

:hi: It does look like the start of a tear but it may just be bent with the light refracting.

It would be a smart move to get it reholdered . I don't understand it. (shrug)

:hi:

&

(thumbs u

Not sure if posted already, but C-Link now has a 9.6 listed in the February auction. This may have an impact of the final price of the 9.4.

This is going to be interesting. I know of at least one collector who would take a 9.4 wh over a 9.6 ow/wh because of pq (if both books appear to be their respective grades). On the other hand, bidders not taking the 9.6 home will likely flock to the 9.4. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen there aren't many wh pages daredevil #1's out there so 9.6 hunters may view the 9.4 as an acceptable fallback.

Edited by comicquant