• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,575 posts in this topic

Well, at least I like it... Kinda sorry I posted it. ?

We LIKE it Bob...we all own it...we was jus' discussin' it... :sorry:

Here, let me fix it...WOW, great find Bob! I bet you got a good deal on it too. We all love that cover. congrats... (thumbs u:foryou:

Here's mine...

16358010598_132477d3b4_c.jpg

Yeah, don't get us wrong- we really do love this cover! I happen to know that both Sqeggs and I agree that it is a way underrated cover!

Yes, Pictorial Romances 16 is downright common. I still remember when Metro had like 5 high grade copies, all at the same time.

..... here's one that they no longer have..... I wanted a pretty copy of a Baker book, and anything other than this one would have been out of my league...... and who can argue with the Loretta Lynn origin story ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

EVwTiOr.jpg

Awesome book! It ties with my highest graded Baker (Cinderella Love #15). (Now that would be a pricey book.)

(thumbs u

Yes, Pictorial Romances 16 is downright common. I still remember when Metro had like 5 high grade copies, all at the same time.

..... here's one that they no longer have..... I wanted a pretty copy of a Baker book, and anything other than this one would have been out of my league...... and who can argue with the Loretta Lynn origin story ? GOD BLESS...

EVwTiOr.jpg

Awesome book! It ties with my highest graded Baker (Cinderella Love #15). (Now that would be a pricey book.)

(thumbs u

At the risk of giving this thread a CG vibe..... I wonder which Baker book would claim the "King of the Hill" title in high grade at auction ? Personally, I find many of them to have that extra "something"....... GOD BLESS...

At the risk of giving this thread a CG vibe..... I wonder which Baker book would claim the "King of the Hill" title in high grade at auction ? Personally, I find many of them to have that extra "something"....... GOD BLESS...

I would make it a three-way tie between Giant Comics Editions #12 (top GA romance book), the giant nn Diary Secrets (probably the scarcest GA romance book), and Cinderella Love #25 (possibly the most popular GA romance cover).

I'm not familiar with the giant nn Diary Secrets....... is it a decent cover ? GOD BLESS...

Ask Sqeegs. He has a copy.

Here's a slightly cleaned up scan of Sqeggs' copy, which is the D copy, CGC 6.5, if I remember correctly...

019.jpg

To be honest, I don't think it's one of Baker's best efforts.

I like the close-up. He doesn't usually get in that close.

It's just the woman's face I think could be better. He did a mini "close-up spree" with Teen-Age Romances 12-14, and I think all of those faces are beautiful.

To be honest, I don't think it's one of Baker's best efforts.

I like the close-up. He doesn't usually get in that close.

The way the whole thing is inked and lettered looks like a UK version of one of Baker's covers.

Interesting perspective. There's no date of publication anywhere in the book, so it's impossible to know when it was actually published, but 1950 is the best guess.

I'm not familiar with the giant nn Diary Secrets....... is it a decent cover ? GOD BLESS...

Here's a slightly cleaned up scan of Sqeggs' copy, which is the D copy, CGC 6.5, if I remember correctly...

019.jpg

Yep. Bob also has a copy and I think I've seen at least one other boardie post a copy.

I agree that this book, CL 25, and GCE 12 would probably bring the most if high-grade copies came to auction. I think CL 25 might be the winner in that competition. hm

019.jpg

Yep. Bob also has a copy and I think I've seen at least one other boardie post a copy.

I agree that this book, CL 25, and GCE 12 would probably bring the most if high-grade copies came to auction. I think CL 25 might be the winner in that competition. hm

I think GCE12 would win. It has crossover appeal. Collectors who don't go after Baker go after this.

I would vote for GCE #12 as well. Baker at his best. Beautiful colors and the girl is so prominent and beautifully rendered. As rare as the Diary Secrets seems to be, it really is way down on my list of favorite Baker covers. I picked mine up years ago when I was on a Baker giant/annual binge. Guess I got lucky huh?

I would vote for GCE #12 as well. Baker at his best. Beautiful colors and the girl is so prominent and beautifully rendered. As rare as the Diary Secrets seems to be, it really is way down on my list of favorite Baker covers. I picked mine up years ago when I was on a Baker giant/annual binge. Guess I got lucky huh?

...I don't know if luck is the right word, Bob..... you had the foresight to pursue this stuff and the eye to go with it.... and I'm sure a huge chunk of man hours invested..... GOD BLESS...

019.jpg

I think GCE12 would win. It has crossover appeal. Collectors who don't go after Baker go after this.

20 years ago when midgrade copies of nearly every other Baker romance book could be found for under $100, a lower grade GCE 12 would sell for closer to $1000, so I have to imagine it's still the most valuable by grade. I could see a high grade copy hitting 5 figures.