• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

I never saw it in person, Tony....... Mark does seem to have a tainted rep around here..... but everything I ever got from him came back with a clean bill of health, but then, that was mostly VG/F Joker covers from the 40's. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes, it was said that no matter how nice a book was to start with, Mark simply could not resist giving it a good old bath anyways. His rationale was that this type of work was not considered to be restoration at the time from his point of view. :censored:

Since your copies were only in the VG/F condition range, he probably did not bothered with them. The ones you had to be extra vigilant with were always the HG copies, especially if they worth a decent amount of money. hm

I believe one of the telltale signs might be ascertained through a sniff of the books, but I am not entirely sure. (shrug)

Yes, it was said that no matter how nice a book was to start with, Mark simply could not resist giving it a good old bath anyways. His rationale was that this type of work was not considered to be restoration at the time from his point of view. :censored:

Yup, Wilson's definition of "unrestored" didn't extend to things like cleaning (i.e., a purple label). He put his personal agenda ahead of the market, and the results speak volumes.

At one point, Wilson's reputation was so bad he only dealt with slabbed books - don't know if that's the case anymore.

In any event, his progeny are also carrying the infamous torch... :facepalm:

Speaking of books on fire, anyone here grab that Weird 20 from HA last night?

Even though it's a scarce Hitler and Churchill war cover, still looks like a relatively strong price at over $4K for a VG+ copy. (thumbs u

whoa! sure glad i put my fox run together when i did; no way i could assemble them these days.

I was casually following the bidding for Weird 20. With only 3 bidders in the game it had already hit ~$1900 (with BP); then a 4th bidder steps in later... and the final hammer at $4000+ for a book at GD- 1.8!! :o

Looks like I can probably forget about completing that run.

Even though it's a scarce Hitler and Churchill war cover, still looks like a relatively strong price at over $4K for a VG+ copy. (thumbs u

I was casually following the bidding for Weird 20. With only 3 bidders in the game it had already hit ~$1900 (with BP); then a 4th bidder steps in later... and the final hammer at $4000+ for a book at GD- 1.8!! :o

Yes, my bad as I should stop stop trying to Google auction results on a small cell phone screen which is harder to read. That VG+ auction result was from back in 2013. doh!

Yes, now it's most definitely a crazy strong price at $2,868 for a RAW G- copy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/weird-comics-20-fox-features-syndicate-1942-condition-gd-/a/121704-14679.s?ic3=ViewItem-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=1

Pretty much as crazy as the VG copy of U.S. Jones #2 that sold last summer for almost $5K. But at least that one was a graded and slabbed copy. But still...... :o:o:o

Edited by lou_fine

Yup, Wilson's definition of "unrestored" didn't extend to things like cleaning (i.e., a purple label). He put his personal agenda ahead of the market, and the results speak volumes.

Well, it turns out that Mark Wilson might have been half right in the end after all. :o

With CGC's last set of changes to their Restoration Grading Scales, it looks like some cover or interior cleaning with either water or solvent is now considered to be Conservation, as opposed to being Restoration. But it looks as though improper cleaning that results in color fading, excessive white, washed out/speckled colors, cockling, puffiness, etc. is then considered to be restoration, based upon what I am reading here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4084

Strange that they would consider cleaning to be Conservation Repairs, and yet, consider the replacement of rusty staples with vintage staples to be Restoration. :screwy:

Or am I not reading their Restoration Grading Scale properly since it seems to fall under both categories. ???(shrug)

Yes, my bad as I should stop stop trying to Google auction results on a small cell phone screen which is harder to read. That VG+ auction result was from back in 2013. doh!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/weird-comics-20-fox-features-syndicate-1942-condition-gd-/a/121704-14679.s?ic3=ViewItem-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=1

Pretty much as crazy as the VG copy of U.S. Jones #2 that sold last summer for almost $5K. But at least that one was a graded and slabbed copy. But still...... :o:o:o

Was wondering where you guys were getting the $4K from. Still, a strong price.

Strong price for sure!!! It's a good thing it fits into my humble collection so perfectly!! Gotta take em where you can get em right!! :acclaim:

Pics to Come sooner than later!!

Strong price for sure!!! It's a good thing it fits into my humble collection so perfectly!! Gotta take em where you can get em right!! :acclaim:

Way to go, Mr P!

:golfclap:

Thanks gents!! Hard to grade a book based on a front cover scan but looked like a 1.5 or so to me which is basically my wheelhouse as you all know by now so i was going to wreck house as a friend of mine likes to say!!. Hoping the pages are solid but it was gamble i was willing to take. Thanks for no one bidding me up even more because i won't lie i would have went higher for it!! :juggle:

Does that make me crazy?? Don't answer that we already know haha!! They say money can't buy happiness!! Well it just did :D I am going to cherish this book so very much!! Can't wait to get side by side pics with my current copy (hand draw cover)!!! You will all be the first to see!!

Thanks gents!! Hard to grade a book based on a front cover scan but looked like a 1.5 or so to me which is basically my wheelhouse as you all know by now so i was going to wreck house as a friend of mine likes to say!!. Hoping the pages are solid but it was gamble i was willing to take. Thanks for no one bidding me up even more because i won't lie i would have went higher for it!! :juggle:

Does that make me crazy?? Don't answer that we already know haha!! They say money can't buy happiness!! Well it just did :D I am going to cherish this book so very much!! Can't wait to get side by side pics with my current copy (hand draw cover)!!! You will all be the first to see!!

Sorry, my bad, not sure where I got $4k from.

Anyhow: Gino! It had to be you! Always you! Well done Sir.

Sorry, my bad, not sure where I got $4k from.

Anyhow: Gino! It had to be you! Always you! Well done Sir.

Thank you good sir and no worries Jay just friendly interesting conversation!! You and I share very similar interests and you're a great dude so we're ALWAYS good!! :)

Sidenote - Just to mention if you go back in this thread which i've combed through Many times The Legend himself JB said Weird 20 was probably the hardest to secure of the run and who am I not to trust him!! This was the only Weird book published in 42' (January) which once again we already have established is my current passion. Everyone holding onto a copy can thank me later when it comes time to sell haha!! I want to be known as the man that defies GPA and could never recoup his initial investment just bought what he loved and enjoyed every minute of it. Boy i Sound WEIRDer and WEIRDer with every letter I type...How fitting??!! :grin:

I remember back in the 90's Mark Wilson had a VF copy of 11 in his catalog forever..... I think it was 800 bucks..... my how times have changed. I lusted over that book back then, but that was a fortune to me at the time..... I was still struggling with dropping 300 on a book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Was the cover exceptionally clean? hm

Since you guys were mentioning about Mark Wilson's copy of WW 11, I went back and found a copy of one of his catalogs. No idea when it came out, but it was listed as Giant Catalog Issue #39 on the front.

Lo and behold, and to my absolute surprise, it had the picture and listing description for the Wonderworld 11 as part of it's Neat Stuff highlights at the front of the catalog. Even more surprisingly, the listing description for the books was as follows:

"A beautiful copy that has very MINOR restoration. It looks like a solid VF but the centerfold was loose. I had the centerfold reattached and a small stain cleaned on the back cover edge. That's it! Origin of THE FLAME. One of the best existing of this very SCARCE issue. $650.00"

Looks like Mark DID list some of the restoration details for his listings after all. :o(thumbs u

Probably mainly just the wet cleaning was not listed since he did not consider that to be restoration at the time. It would probably be up to the potential buyer to specifically ask about this if he wanted to know. (shrug)