• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

Someone recently mistakenly posted a book in a sales thread, thinking it contained Baker art when it did not. A short discussion ensued, concerning the most reliable listing of Baker art. Overstreet has many errors in this area, and 29dukedog rightly pointed out that the best checklist is in The Art of Glamour. That checklist is not perfect, though, so I followed up with a few corrections.

Since this thread is where most of the Baker fans gather, I'm sharing my findings here.

Amazing Ghost Stories #15 is not listed but has a Baker cover

Authentic Police Cases #36 is NOT a Baker cover

Knockout Adventures #1 is not listed, but reprints a Kayo Kirby story from Fight #53 which has Baker art

The Saint #1 is not listed, but the Lucky Dale story sure does look like early Baker art, and comicbookplus has it listed with "Pencils Matt Baker?"

Slash-D Doublecross nn is not listed, but apparently has a Baker cover

I don't myself have a copy of "Glamour", but I'm aghast that it omitted a book as obvious and high profile as Amazing Ghost Stories #15. Of course, even that checklist is merely the latest incarnation of an ongoing effort to chronicle all of Baker's art appearances, building on and improving the previous list (which would be the one in Alter Ego #47, I believe). One day we'll get it all nailed down.

Someone recently mistakenly posted a book in a sales thread, thinking it contained Baker art when it did not. A short discussion ensued, concerning the most reliable listing of Baker art. Overstreet has many errors in this area, and 29dukedog rightly pointed out that the best checklist is in The Art of Glamour. That checklist is not perfect, though, so I followed up with a few corrections.

Since this thread is where most of the Baker fans gather, I'm sharing my findings here.

Knockout Adventures #1 is not listed, but reprints a Kayo Kirby story from Fight #53 which has Baker art

The Saint #1 is not listed, but the Lucky Dale story sure does look like early Baker art, and comicbookplus has it listed with "Pencils Matt Baker?"

I don't myself have a copy of "Glamour", but I'm aghast that it omitted a book as obvious and high profile as Amazing Ghost Stories #15. Of course, even that checklist is merely the latest incarnation of an ongoing effort to chronicle all of Baker's art appearances, building on and improving the previous list (which would be the one in Alter Ego #47, I believe). One day we'll get it all nailed down.

Yep. Definitely looks like Baker to me.

lf_zpsyoja8n5n.jpg

Mel, thanks for compiling these. I agree on the APC 36. I think we had a discussion of that one earlier in this thread.

What a FANTASTIC cover!!

Not my favorite Baker cover but completists gotta complete!

s-l1600_zps8acqgtbm.jpg

Never noticed the "re-issue of originals" brick in the fireplace before. I guess all of the last 8 issues had reprinted content, but it was unusual for a book to announce it back in the 1950s.

Hard to miss that signature at the right bottom... :taptaptap:

2ajrv3r.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Hard to miss that signature at the right bottom... :taptaptap:

2ajrv3r.jpg

How could we have overlooked that? doh!

The two Bakers I have wanted that have been the hardest to find (for me) both came in on the same day from two different purchases :whee:

They are both pretty rough but complete. These have been on the list for 2 years- tough ones.

IMG_2185.jpgupload gambar

IMG_2184.jpgscreen cap

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

A new Baker for the Baker boxes...

comtruelovepictorial10_zpsuioknmgc.jpg

One of my favorites.

In the late 90s there was a small warehouse find of those. I got mine from Vinny at SDCC. He had about 10 of them.

I believe it. I have a copy about 6.5/7.0, and I've seen more than a few in similar grades.

A new Baker for the Baker boxes...

comtruelovepictorial10_zpsuioknmgc.jpg

One of my favorites.

In the late 90s there was a small warehouse find of those. I got mine from Vinny at SDCC. He had about 10 of them.

I believe it. I have a copy about 6.5/7.0, and I've seen more than a few in similar grades.

I agree that it's relatively common, but it still has only eight graded copies, with the highest a 7.5. Pictorial Romances 16, otoh, has 12 graded copies, 8 of which are 8.0 and above.

An indication of how scarce Bakers are that these books stand out as being fairly common despite the small numbers on the census.

Well, at least I like it... Kinda sorry I posted it. ?

We LIKE it Bob...we all own it...we was jus' discussin' it... :sorry:

Here, let me fix it...WOW, great find Bob! I bet you got a good deal on it too. We all love that cover. congrats... (thumbs u:foryou:

Here's mine...

16358010598_132477d3b4_c.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Yes, Pictorial Romances 16 is downright common. I still remember when Metro had like 5 high grade copies, all at the same time.

..... here's one that they no longer have..... I wanted a pretty copy of a Baker book, and anything other than this one would have been out of my league...... and who can argue with the Loretta Lynn origin story ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

EVwTiOr.jpg