• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne/Terry Austin X-MEN corner box art
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I sold a Kirby Cap and Falcon corner box original for $10,000 at SDCC 2016. Figures were about 5 inches tall each, on 2 boards.

Actually, please disregard my points above.

Regardless of what the general collecting consensus may be of corner box art, its what I like and I have my own reasons for appreciating it.

The less people that like it and don't have any interest it, the better for me:)

P

(thumbs u

I have an appreciation for corner box art, too. One of my regrets is passing up the Buscema CONAN corner box art from Mitch at SDCC about 10 years ago. A small, simple piece, but also almost a perfect representation of Buscema's Conan.

Still, I wouldn't (and didn't) value it as much as an A page. It was just something cool. No more, no less.

Speaking for myself, I like and enjoy the corner box artwork. I personally think this is a "blue sky" price -- as in, you might as well ask for the sky, because someone somewhere just may be crazy enough to pay it -- but $40K+ is an aggressive valuation.

Stick it on eBay, I think it reaches maybe one tenth of that number.

If I was an oddsmaker who had to set the over/under on this piece, I think I'd set the line around $20K. At 10% of the asking price ($4K), I think you have a TON of buyers for it, and I'd bet on multiple buyers even at $15K. I'd be more surprised to see this end at $15K in an eBay auction than I would $25K+, but I think $20K-ish is probably not a bad guess. 2c

Yes agreed, I don't think that any other corner box art were used as a gauge at all for the Byrne X-Men piece. That is not what I was suggesting. I am asking a legitimate question.

In terms of comps, what is the most comparable art type to corner box art?

Is it a cover? No, but it appears on covers multiple issues in the same title. What other art type does that?

Is it a pinup? The work of art itself could be a pinup then later used for the corner box. But the usage of it is not for interiors.

Is it a splash? A page? A sketch?

Which is the best type of imperfect comp?

Also,does the fact that corner art images are some of the most viewed and most recognizable images for any title or any era factor into the desirability (or not) of these pieces?

Yeah, not easy to come up with a comp. The size of the art is also a factor.

IMO, I would place the value on par with, at best, a B page from the same artist/title/era. Definitely not as much as a cover, and again IMO, not as much as a good interior (whether that's a splash or a panel page). But more than a commission or sketch.

Here is one from Byrne that sold on Heritage for $2,800 in 2012. It's not X-Men, but you get four additional full-figure illustrations, and each one is great:

ff_boxart.jpg

Saw it at a local show today. It's still available. Size is smaller than a modern comic.

Any estimate on the size of the art itself? Would love to see it in person.

Roughly 8x6 if I was to guess.

Saw it at a local show today. It's still available. Size is smaller than a modern comic.

Thanks. Coincidentally I found an old X-Men Marvel Illustrated Book and this was on the first page:

P0S04cQ.jpg

Thanks. Coincidentally I found an old X-Men Marvel Illustrated Book and this was on the first page:

P0S04cQ.jpg

They were REALLY worried about trademarks, weren't they? lol

What TM do you TM mean TM?

Well™ you see™ I've never seen™ that many trademark™ notices™ on one page™™™

Sorry if it is none of my business, but I am confused.  You knew where the piece was (for months) but now that it sold, you are willing to pay more than what it sold for to get it? (I'm assuming whoever bought it would only sell if he gets more)

Couldn't you just have workd out a deal with Anthony?

Malvin

8 minutes ago, malvin said:

Sorry if it is none of my business, but I am confused.  You knew where the piece was (for months) but now that it sold, you are willing to pay more than what it sold for to get it? (I'm assuming whoever bought it would only sell if he gets more)

Couldn't you just have workd out a deal with Anthony?

Malvin

Hi Malvin.  I tried multiple times to work out a deal with Anthony but it didn't happen.  And I don't know how much the new owner paid/traded for it.  I only know what Anthony's asking price was.

I also don't know if the new owner acquired the piece to keep, to sell, or for trade.  I don't know if they only got the one piece or if it was included in a group/lot of pieces.

My 2 cents: 

I'd personally place corner box art above panel pages.  I'm kind of a 70's Kirby Cap fanatic.  So artdealer's Cap corner boxes would have been a great piece for me.  Would I have bought them over a Kirby cover (money notwithstanding)?  No.  And most of the splashes from that era would probably have edged it out.  But, I probably would have bought them over just about any panel page.  So I think his pricing was pretty fair.  

Edit: i mean any 70's Kirby Cap stuff, not Kirby covers/pages in general.

I don't have any corner box art, but I always loved it.  Most of you probably know this, but I'd heard a rumor that there was a Miler DD cover that had the corner box art actually drawn on to it.  I believe that turned out to be true - issue 185 (but others could correct me here), wasn't it? 

Edited by Flambit
see above

I was in the race for this, but backed out after I found out the dimensions of the heads. I made Anthony a HUGE offer before I found out how small the heads were and, on January 19, when I learned that they were only about .75 of an inch, I politely rescinded my offer. Four days after I pulled my offer, on January 23, Anthony reached out to me and asked if I had another offer, so I did make another offer,  but one that was quite a bit lower and with some really great art. Then, after waiting nearly a week to hear back from Anthony, I emailed him on January 29 and asked "Any thoughts on going forward with some sort of trade for the X-Men corner box art, Anthony? I haven't heard back from you and was wondering. Please let me know. Thanks!" I got this answer back: "Not right now thanks." I emailed him back and said this "Okay, after I rescinded my original offer, you asked me to make another, so I did. I have been waiting to hear back from you. So, does this mean you aren't interested in any of the art I offered?" Again, that was on January 29, and, not surprisingly, I have not heard a word from him since.