• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRON FIST on Netflix
3 3

331 posts in this topic

Iron Fist's Star Responds To The Backlash About The Marvel Show

Marvel TV shows haven't shied away from hot button topics like race in the past, but the latest controversy may be among the most intense to date. The casting of Finn Jones as Danny Rand a.k.a Iron Fist in his upcoming Netflix series has generated some unfavorable comments, with many arguing that the role is tailor-made for an Asian actor -- a demographic which is already sorely underrepresented in Hollywood. Now it seems that Finn Jones has chimed in on the matter, and he wants fans to wait to see Iron Fist before they rush to criticize the casting choice.

"What I would say to that is, people should wait, and watch the show before they pass judgment... The comic books were written in the '70s. 1970s was a very different world to 2016, and we're going to reflect that. We have an incredibly diverse cast; incredibly talented. What I would say to that is, wait until you've seen the show, and then pass judgment, before you make comment, because people will be very, very, very pleasantly surprised with what we're doing in the show."

Marvel TV shows haven't shied away from hot button topics like race in the past, but the latest controversy may be among the most intense to date. The casting of Finn Jones as Danny Rand a.k.a Iron Fist in his upcoming Netflix series has generated some unfavorable comments, with many arguing that the role is tailor-made for an Asian actor -- a demographic which is already sorely underrepresented in Hollywood. Now it seems that Finn Jones has chimed in on the matter, and he wants fans to wait to see Iron Fist before they rush to criticize the casting choice.

"What I would say to that is, people should wait, and watch the show before they pass judgment... The comic books were written in the '70s. 1970s was a very different world to 2016, and we're going to reflect that. We have an incredibly diverse cast; incredibly talented. What I would say to that is, wait until you've seen the show, and then pass judgment, before you make comment, because people will be very, very, very pleasantly surprised with what we're doing in the show."

Why has no one simply said "The character in the comics is a white guy...not Asian". Seems like this is the most reasonable (and only) explanation.

Why has no one simply said "The character in the comics is a white guy...not Asian". Seems like this is the most reasonable (and only) explanation.

Because the backlash is more likely the result of uninformed folks pushing a PC agenda.

Because the backlash is more likely the result of uninformed folks pushing a PC agenda.

Unfortunately, this is too true.

Writer/co-creator Roy Thomas wrote in a text piece in Marvel Premiere #15 that Iron Fist's origin and creation owe much to the 1940s Bill Everett character, Amazing-Man. Thomas later wrote that he and artist/co-creator Gil Kane had started "Iron Fist" because of movie influences.

"I'd seen my first kung fu movie, even before a Bruce Lee one came out, and it had a thing called 'the ceremony of the Iron Fist' in it. I thought that was a good name, and we already had Master of Kung Fu going, but I thought, 'Maybe a superhero called Iron Fist, even though we had Iron Man, would be a good idea.' [Publisher] Stan [Lee] liked the name, so I got hold of Gil and he brought in his Amazing Man influences, and we designed the character together..."

Daniel Rand was born in New York City, the son of Wendell Rand, who happened upon the mystical city of K'un-L'un as a young boy. During his time in K'un L'un, Wendell saved the life of the city's ruler, Lord Tuan, and was adopted as Tuan's son. However, Wendell eventually left K'un L'un and became a wealthy entrepreneur in the United States. He married socialite Heather Duncan and had a child: Daniel.

Wendell later organizes an expedition to again seek out K'un L'un, taking his wife Heather, his business partner Harold Meachum and nine-year-old Daniel. During the journey up the mountain, Daniel slips off the path, his tie-rope taking his mother and father with him. Meachum, who also loves Heather, forces Wendell to plunge to his death but offers to rescue Heather and Daniel. She rejects his help. Heather and Daniel come across a makeshift bridge that appears out of nowhere and are attacked by a pack of wolves. Heather throws herself on the wolves to save Daniel and is killed even as archers from K'un L'un attempt to save her. The archers take the grieving Daniel to see Yü-Ti, the hooded ruler of K'un L'un. When Daniel expresses his desire for vengeance, Yü-Ti apprentices him to Lei Kung, the Thunderer, who teaches him the martial arts.

Someone must have read the character involved the martial arts and assumed only Asian characters would be portrayed in such roles.

hm

Hey! Wait a minute.

21924236.jpg

with many arguing that the role is tailor-made for an Asian actor

it's funny how blatantly flawed this logic is. Anyone writing this sentence is essentially claiming the concept is the character.

Playing a white-guy who knows kung-fu is patently NOT a role tailor-made for a non-white person.

That's really the essence of the cognitive dissonance of the PC attack on comic book characters. Destroy the character by separating the person that they are, from their identity/power, so it can be given to someone else that meets the accept agenda.

Then attack anyone who says its not the same character, even though it CLEARLY would not be.

Why has no one simply said "The character in the comics is a white guy with no beard...not Asian". Seems like this is the most reasonable (and only) explanation.

Fixed that for you. (thumbs u

How Game Of Thrones Intersected With Finn Jones’ Casting In Iron Fist

finnjones-ironfist-b-187781.png

In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Jones had plenty to say about the swap between Game of Thrones and Iron Fist. The actor said he had just finished his last day of filming for HBO, and was waiting in an airport when he was asked to audition for Iron Fist.

“In hindsight, it seems crazy how lined up it was,” Jones explained. “That was my last day -- it was a really nice last day.”

At the time, Marvel was keeping Iron Fist under lock-and-key from everyone including actors who were auditioning for roles. Codenamed ‘Kick,’ Jones quickly figured out the show was not about soccer and instead about ancient martial arts.

“The more I read it, the more it deeply sunk in for me. At that moment, I was like, ‘F**k, this is the one,’” he said, referring to his gut-feeling about the show.

I am quite shocked Marvel did stay with the original character. They really would have gotten grief either way if they cast an Asian. I doubt any of critics even know about Master of Kung Fu.

I think they did it right. I don't hold the races of characters as sacrosanct, but a core part of his story is him being a white guy growing up in an mystical Asian culture, being sort of an outsider, AND then moving back to a place where he 'fits in' better but still really being an outsider due to his upbringing.

There are racial/cultural issues that make Danny/Iron Fist into the person he is, and experience he has, and the story that's being told

The same can be said for Luke Cage, and Daredevil's Irish Catholicness,Thor, and Black Panther and Captain America.

Less so for say....Johnny Storm, or any of the FF, Aunt May, or even Jessica Jones or Nick Fury (as Director of Shield, not WW2 Sargent).

I will admit that I think the most questionable 'race-turns' were Heimdall and the Ancient One, though I didn't feel negatively impacted at all, they just seemed a little more 'forced', especially the Ancient One.

Possible SPOILERS Ahead As IRON FIST Episode Titles And Directors Are Revealed

148386.jpg

Episode 1, Snow Gives Way directed by John Dahl

Episode 2, Shadow Hawk Takes Flight directed by John Dahl

Episode 3, Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch directed by Tom Shankland

Episode 4, Eight Diagram Dragon Palm directed by unknown

Episode 5, Under Leaf Pluck Lotus directed by Uta Briesewitz

Episode 6, Immortal Emerges From Cave directed by unknown.

Episode 7, Felling With Tree Routes directed by Farren Blackburn (18 for strong bloody violence)

Episode 8, The Blessing Of Many Fractures directed by Kevin Tancharoen

Episode 9, The Mistress Of All Agonies directed by Jet Wilkinson

Episode 10, unknown

Episode 11, Lead Horse Back To Stable directed by Deborah Chow (12 for mild violence)

Episode 12, unknown

Episode 13, Dragon Plays With Fire directed by Stephen Surjik

8 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Not looking good.

I can't believe how bad the reviews are for this show.  This was the one of the four that I was most excited to see.  :cry:

47 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Noticed a lot of the reviews are complaining about casting a white guy and that he should be Asian. Yeah i know.

47 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Noticed a lot of the reviews are complaining about casting a white guy and that he should be Asian. Yeah i know.

It's worse. The reviews indicate that the story is boring and the fight scenes are lame. Hope it's not true!

I'm surprised that no one involved with the show has publicly said that "Iron Fist isn't supposed to be Asian. He wasn't Asian in the comics so why would he be Asian in this show. There is no white washing because there is nothing to white wash."

Seems like that would be the end-all-be-all of that complaint.