• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

Very cool cover, PK. Thanks for sharing. I like the Red Rajjah one the best.

Love the early stone litho printing on those. It allowed colors that were out of the four color spectrum.

Can you elaborate on this? I know nothing about it.

Thanks, RedFury. I'm awed by the rate you seem to be adding holy pulp grails like those Magic Carpets to your collection. Major congrats!

There are quite a few sites online that can explain the stone lithography process better than me, but here's a brief intro in the context of something I also collect - antique cigar labels (though I like the boxes themselves):

http://www.cigarlabeljunkie.com/Html/StoneLith.html

Any single color - or ink - that could be conjured was applied directly to the image, one after another, individually. Laborious, yes.

Four color printing involves cyan, magenta and yellow (along with black), and although a wide range of colors is obtainable, the quality of the old handwrought images seemed never again matched (funny, coming from a four color devourer like myself, I know!).

Thanks for that. I knew those older prints looked different, but I just assumed it was due to older technology. I thought they were maybe somehow related to the process used for DC's grey/wash tone covers of the 50s, but I see now that it's completely different. Very cool!

Here are a few "old timey" examples of lithography:

35292577.359474b6.1024.jpg

35292583.0502516b.1024.jpg

Now back to our regularly scheduled pulps! :whistle:

Wow Pop, you have a wonderful collection of ephemera! I love this stone lithography. Many might not know but each color was engraved on a limestone stone and printed one pass at a time. This allowed for some many colors that are out of the traditional 4-Color spectrum. Seems we just don't appreciate quality any more...

Edited by Robot Man

Yeah, I scored. They are very nice copies. I recently got them at a toy show of all places. I doubt anyone else there knew what they were. Picking here is probably just like most every where else. Got to be out all the time, get up early and move through the show quickly. It doesn't hurt to spend money with the right sellers and have them hold stuff for you. Blind luck is nice too. Even though, seems like stuff is getting harder and harder to find "in the wild".

A question for our pulp gurus here: When did the last pulps appear? Yes, they evolved into various other forms, some of which survive to this day. But when did the classic roughly- comic- sized, cheap newsprint format finally go away? The last one I know that looks like the old school pulps is the last few issues of Fantastic Universe, which went until 1960. But even there, I'm not sure the brief non-digest run at the end wasn't actually a throwback to an otherwise-disappeared format; I don't think I have any others later than the mid-50's. (I'm also mostly familiar with the Science Fiction pulps, if the format lasted in other genres I would be fairly clueless.)

Anybody know?

Ranch Romances August 1958 is probably the last pulp from the pulp era by most metrics.

That fits, with the Fantastic Universe issues being a year later than that, I would say they qualify more as the first throwback to the format rather than a continuation on their own terms. Thanks for the info!

And this thread needs some bumping.  I've posted these covers before, but I don't think I've ever actually posted them in the Pulp thread specifically.  Picked them both up (the full run) at ECCC a year or two ago; can't wait for this year's show:

And... it's only letting me post one, says the file is too big.  I'll get the other issue soon.

OOTWA_1.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
could only upload one image

Last weekend I traveled to Florida to visit my brother's family, but I also planned the trip to take in Pulp AdventureCon on Saturday.  Our own Jeff Shanks (theagenes) was set up there promoting Skelos and selling some pulps, and I got to spend the day catching up with him.  It was a small show, but I still managed to find several cool new pulps that I'm excited about.  Here's one.

Captain Satan #1, Mar 1938

Just a stunning high grade copy with incredible gloss and spine.

1cVcT9Ah.jpg

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

Last weekend I traveled to Florida to visit my brother's family, but I also planned the trip to take in Pulp AdventureCon on Saturday.  Our own Jeff Shanks (theagenes) was set up there promoting Skelos and selling some pulps, and I got to spend the day catching up with him.  It was a small show, but I still managed to find several cool new pulps that I'm excited about.  Here's one.

Captain Satan #1, Mar 1938

Just a stunning high grade copy with incredible gloss and spine.

1cVcT9Ah.jpg

What a cover and condition just wow!

This one isn't quite a grail; at least not in the way the June 1936 issue was.  Do we have a term for "as high on the want list as it's possible to get without actually being a grail book?"

In any case, it's one I'm extraordinarily happy to finally get.  Now I just need to track down the March and April issues; but I think this is the hardest of the four Lovecraft Astoundings to get:

Astounding_36-02.jpg