• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,275 posts in this topic

First book of the new year came on Saturday. Nothing earth shaking but a pretty nice copy. This is another one of those great 4 book GGA series. This one does not disapoint with headlights, cross dressing and cool Dave Berg (from MAD magazine) GGA. Down to one issue on it.

commeetmerton3_zpsfwiwtqrm.jpg

That's a nice start to the New Year! (thumbs u

According to Wikipedia, Millie the Model "was created by writer-artist Ruth Atkinson, one of the pioneering women cartoonists in comic books. Following this first issue, subsequent early stories were drawn mostly by Timely staffer Mike Sekowsky."

I wish to dispute this claim. I do not believe that Mike Sekowsky had anything to do with early Millie. After the first issue, Millie was mostly written and drawn by Ken Bald - who also drew all her covers up until around issue #15 or #16 (shortly before Dan DeCarlo started drawing Millie).

I do not have a copy of Millie #1, but the cover art was clearly drawn by Frank Carin (who drew a lot of other early Timely teen titles such as Patsy Walker, Georgie, Tessie the Typist, Gay, Joker, etc). so I'd bet he did the interior artwork as well. With issue #2, Millie's look was re-invented by Ken Bald.

Can anyone with more Millie knowledge confirm or deny any of this? Considering the popularity of the title, I'm surprised there isn't a more accurate database of information. Sources like ComicVine are worthless.

According to Wikipedia, Millie the Model "was created by writer-artist Ruth Atkinson, one of the pioneering women cartoonists in comic books. Following this first issue, subsequent early stories were drawn mostly by Timely staffer Mike Sekowsky."

I wish to dispute this claim. I do not believe that Mike Sekowsky had anything to do with early Millie. After the first issue, Millie was mostly written and drawn by Ken Bald - who also drew all her covers up until around issue #15 or #16 (shortly before Dan DeCarlo started drawing Millie).

I do not have a copy of Millie #1, but the cover art was clearly drawn by Frank Carin (who drew a lot of other early Timely teen titles such as Patsy Walker, Georgie, Tessie the Typist, Gay, Joker, etc). so I'd bet he did the interior artwork as well. With issue #2, Millie's look was re-invented by Ken Bald.

Can anyone with more Millie knowledge confirm or deny any of this? Considering the popularity of the title, I'm surprised there isn't a more accurate database of information. Sources like ComicVine are worthless.

This is helpful info. The first issue is a book length origin story of Millie. I can't tell if the cover and interior artwork are by the same artist. Hopefully someone else can.

Here's the cover and some interior pages.

Millie1%20front%20-%20Copy_zpsv2v0ohxk.jpg

Opening splash page

Millie%201%20splash_zpsfblsoyqx.jpg

Millie%201%20art_zpszaoksw8y.jpg

This is helpful info. The first issue is a book length origin story of Millie. I can't tell if the cover and interior artwork are by the same artist. Hopefully someone else can.

Here's the cover and some interior pages.

Millie1%20front%20-%20Copy_zpsv2v0ohxk.jpg

Opening splash page

Millie%201%20splash_zpsfblsoyqx.jpg

Millie%201%20art_zpszaoksw8y.jpg

That's a beautiful copy, Lotemo! Thanks for sharing. Millie certainly looks a lot more like Millie on the inside than she does on the cover. I don't recognize the interior art at all. I assume it was drawn by creator Ruth Atkinson.

The cover is cute in a Patsy Walker sort of way, but I don't think artist Frank Carin knew anything about Millie when he drew it. hm

Teen humor is really getting a boost these days. I cant figure if it's riding the coattails of the Romance boom, or if there's just a general GGA boom/expansion beyond just Baker to now include more "cartoony"GGA like DeCarlo and others.

Teen humor is really getting a boost these days. I cant figure if it's riding the coattails of the Romance boom, or if there's just a general GGA boom/expansion beyond just Baker to now include more "cartoony"GGA like DeCarlo and others.

I've always been into the classic GGA... Torchy, Phantom Lady, the key Fox, Fiction House, and Timely gals... later in life, as my tastes in popular art matured, I began to gravitate towards romance and teen humor- two genres I never cared about as a young "fanboy". I'll bet this phenomenon is happening to many other collectors, too, and we are now seeing it reflected in the marketplace.