• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,284 posts in this topic

All I've got is a 1 and a 3........ would like the run eventually..... 3 is my favorite with a cool Everett cover and some wild Maneely inside. The 1 supposedly has an Everett cover also. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For Atlas fans -

After browsing some covers over at Atlas Tales, I was once again awestruck by the sheer volume and (mostly) brilliance of some of our favorite 50's runs. I soon begged the question of which run I favored or coveted the most? Money being no object, of course.

The question first came to mind while I was viewing Journey Into Unknown Worlds, and I thought, hmmm, a title as good as any. Then I was soon savoring the delights of Marvel Tales and thinking to myself the early ones are killer, and their are more of 'em. In terms of sheer numbers, I soon recalled the lenghty runs of Journey Into Mystery and then too Strange Tales! Great stuff throughout, to be sure.

It's tough, but right now I'm leaning towards the aforementioned Strange Tales. There's plenty of pre-code horror and sci-fi, and all that Kirby and Ditko monster madness towards the end of the run. Even though Marvel Mystery is pictured on the site, that's more properly Timely than Atlas, so I'm ignoring that option.

So how about it, Atlas fans, what's your title of choice, and why?

Edited by PopKulture

Strange Tales for me (pre code). I think it has the best stretch of covers as compared to any of the other titles - lots of Everett some Heath and Anderson and one of my favorite off beat covers Strange Tales 26.

I finished pre-code runs of Journey Into Mystery, Strange Tales and Marvel Tales and near complete Journey into Unknown, Adventures Into Terror, Adventures Into Weird, Mystery Tales and Spellbound.

I have since broken them up, but Strange Tales is one I always go back to and I can't help picking up the issues I really love in any condition.

image001_zps5a3cab3d.jpg

fde5fd8e-712c-4d63-be67-804786b57d24_zps76ebf43c.jpg

Edited by Johnny545

Man, very hard to pick... I'm still missing a couple of Journey into Mystery, Venus and Strange Tales. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'm complete on the rest. I too like Strange Tales a lot as well as this run. It's full of great covers, good horror stories and a good number are fat 52 page issues.

comsuspenserun2_zpsltxcpsy3.jpg

comsuspenserun1_zpszmkogegn.jpg

This is an Atlas, but an early Silver Age one - have a couple of War (Battle Action, War Comics, Combat Casey) and a Speed Carter, but this is the nicest of the lot (and the only one graded)

288616-f004_zpsffz5vu8y.jpg

Very nice copy. Not an easy book.

Not an easy question! I've never had complete runs of any of the titles but love certain books for the obvious reasons. My personal favorite titles would be Mystery Tales and Spellbound. Probably a bit biased as those were among the first titles I started to collect. Not to be outdone, Mystic has some great covers too!

Mystic18.jpg

MysteryTales15-1.jpg

Spellbound17-1.jpg

Robot Man - I can't argue the virtue of Suspense, as I am partial to it as well. It must be nice to be able to stroll over to the Atlas boxes and fan out a complete run like that. I'm dealing with some heavy hitters I can tell!

Jayman - All great books and titles you referenced and posted! It seems the early consensus leans pre-code, which is no great surprise. Are the later monster books of less interest to most of you? Me, I'm too much of a generalist: I like it all.

My current fever interest in Atlas compelled me to dig through some of my almost abandoned boxes where very low grade copies were relegated for years. Some of these came from a small OO collection which didn't include many issues, but did include a varied cross section - from Menace to Mille the Model, from Jann of the Jungle to Adventures into Terror, Sports Action to Western Winners, and so on. These reside with one-offs I picked up when I was a wee lad riding my bike to the junk yards, things like Buck Duck and Dolly Dill. Great memories. There are no 9.2's among them, but I'm enjoying pawing through them nevertheless.

Okay, now you're killing me softly... That Everett cover is sublime, and I love me some Kirby monster mash! I've never held either of those issues in my grimy paws. Great looking books both.

p.s. If that Strange Tales 50 grades a 3.0, then the stuff I'm planning on posting might actually break into the negative numbers!

Edited by PopKulture

I'm kinda partial to JIUW, which I've always considered as Atlas' flagship title for Sci-Fi and then horror.

2rq0voy.jpg

2zyx8vr.jpg

kcb1gx.jpg

Notice that the ringed planet insignia changed to a skull and crossbones in later issues, starting with number 12, although they actually started going to horror themed stories with issue #6.

This one has a Basil Wolverton story;

kf5q3p.jpg

Here's the rest of 'em. Trouble is, there's so damn many Atlas titles, it's hard to do a full run of any one, you're so busy trying to get 'em all.

axftk.jpg