• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Trek, which series was the best?

69 posts in this topic

Sorry Khan was the best villain.

TNG was the best I think. Gotta go with Khan for the win though.

Ricardo Montalbon as Khan both times was great.

I would have put Khan number one,but he only had a few appearances compared to Q.

Q is much more versatile and can show up anywhere.

Khan though does have the distinction of having two of the greatest Star Trek TOS appearances ever.

...Q is much more versatile and can show up anywhere...

Including My Little Pony. The character Discord was inspired by Q and is voiced by John De Lancie.

(I'm not a Bronie... I have a daughter who loves the show.)

I think Voyager gets dumped on pretty hard. In the rewatching it was pretty entertaining.

Still for me:

TNG

DS9

TOS

Voyager

Enterprise

A few comments:

1. TNG. If I could rank this as two series - TNG Season 1 and TNG Seasons 2-7, I'd rank the latter 1st and the fomer dead last. That first season is unwatchable. Sorry. The show gets better and better as it goes along though.

2. DS9 is a show that really is NOT good for syndication. Flipping around and catching a random episode of this show is never very interesting. However, if I had to pick one show to binge watch from start to finish? It would ALWAYS be DS9. It's designed for that. A very rewarding show in that way.

3. TOS is made for the syndication drop in. See an episode here and there. I'm sorry but you can't criticize the show that is responsible for everything that came after it. And it's 3rd on my list out of respect. But if I forced to only watch one show forever... this would be last, probably.

4. Voyager was the best idea for a series. And they set up great conflict in the series... but for some reason they resolved it too quickly. There's so many good elements in this show.. but they don't all come together at any one time. Still, if you only remember it from the original watching... watch it again. I did a few years ago and it rose by leaps and bounds from what I remembered.

5. Enterprise was a well enough done example of something I don't like. A prequel. If these characters or stories were SO important we'd have heard of them already. And to suddenly try to make them legendary figures is assinine. Just tell new stories, please. They never did it well enough for me to forget that I didn't like the concept.

Edited by fmaz

I think Voyager gets dumped on pretty hard. In the rewatching it was pretty entertaining.

Still for me:

TNG

DS9

TOS

Voyager

Enterprise

A few comments:

1. TNG. If I could rank this as two series - TNG Season 1 and TNG Seasons 2-7, I'd rank the latter 1st and the fomer dead last. That first season is unwatchable. Sorry. The show gets better and better as it goes along though.

2. DS9 is a show that really is NOT good for syndication. Flipping around and catching a random episode of this show is never very interesting. However, if I had to pick one show to binge watch from start to finish? It would ALWAYS be DS9. It's designed for that. A very rewarding show in that way.

3. TOS is made for the syndication drop in. See an episode here and there. I'm sorry but you can't criticize the show that is responsible for everything that came after it. And it's 3rd on my list out of respect. But if I forced to only watch one show forever... this would be last, probably.

4. Voyager was the best idea for a series. And they set up great conflict in the series... but for some reason they resolved it too quickly. There's so many good elements in this show.. but they don't all come together at any one time. Still, if you only remember it from the original watching... watch it again. I did a few years ago and it rose by leaps and bounds from what I remembered.

5. Enterprise was a well enough done example of something I don't like. A prequel. If these characters or stories were SO important we'd have heard of them already. And to suddenly try to make them legendary figures is assinine. Just tell new stories, please. They never did it well enough for me to forget that I didn't like the concept.

Agree with almost all of that, excluding I thought Enterprise got better. Even if not agreeing in show order, very much agree with most of the points. Voyager very much so has a great fundamental concept, especially if one is a fan that's really focused on the discover/exploration angle of Trek and your thoughts on DS9 being much more serial are valid - definitely a more of a practice in longform and developing storytelling.

I think my favorite ST:TNG story isn't from the series but a novel - Q-in-Law by Peter David. Just straight-up campy fun. :)

Peter David Star Trek books are often "straight-up campy fun." Good stuff. I really enjoyed Vendetta.

Sorry Khan was the best villain.

TNG was the best I think. Gotta go with Khan for the win though.

Ricardo Montalbon as Khan both times was great.

I would have put Khan number one,but he only had a few appearances compared to Q.

Q is much more versatile and can show up anywhere.

Khan though does have the distinction of having two of the greatest Star Trek TOS appearances ever.

I never thought Khan was big deal until I watched the original episode years later as a 20+ something. I was impressed how he handled the role and made me appreciate his movie appearance even more.

I loved Q as well.