• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

Movie has nearly cleared $980 mil. worldwide. Safe bet on 1 bil. now?

It will make a billion. Looks like China isn't much of a help though from what I've read.

Cap: CW #1 WW in 2016. Would have thought R1 would pass it but that's not happening.

All thanks to one market, China. It makes sense that the Marvel movies are bending over backwards not to offend the Chinese.

Star Wars clearly doesn't appeal to that market.

Not due to a lack of 'appeal' but rather lack of nostalgia to help fuel new interest. The first Star Wars movies they got in theaters was Phantom Menace. I know if that was MY first exposure to Star Wars I wouldn't be rushing out to see the other movies with the same vigor & passion I did after being raised on the original trilogy.

It will make a billion. Looks like China isn't much of a help though from what I've read.

Cap: CW #1 WW in 2016. Would have thought R1 would pass it but that's not happening.

All thanks to one market, China. It makes sense that the Marvel movies are bending over backwards not to offend the Chinese.

Not due to a lack of 'appeal' but rather lack of nostalgia to help fuel new interest. The first Star Wars movies they got in theaters was Phantom Menace. I know if that was MY first exposure to Star Wars I wouldn't be rushing out to see the other movies with the same vigor & passion I did after being raised on the original trilogy.

Donnie Yen is in this film and he is popular over there so that should have helped out this film with that audience right now we only know the first 3 day numbers so far. Once word gets around there of how good the film is maybe the numbers increase.

Donnie Yen is in this film and he is popular over there so that should have helped out this film with that audience right now we only know the first 3 day numbers so far. Once word gets around there of how good the film is maybe the numbers increase.

nope, rjrjr is correct. Will be fortunate to do $75MM in China.

Dipping to the No. 3 spot internationally in its 5th frame, Rogue One grossed $21.9M in 53 material markets, a 61% drop versus last frame. That’s largely down to an underperformance in China where the weekend was $9.8M for a $53.4M cume. Moviegoers are still finding it difficult to connect with the franchise, despite the presence of two local stars in key roles

Edited by paperheart

nope, rjrjr is correct. Will be fortunate to do $75MM in China.

Dipping to the No. 3 spot internationally in its 5th frame, Rogue One grossed $21.9M in 53 material markets, a 61% drop versus last frame. That’s largely down to an underperformance in China where the weekend was $9.8M for a $53.4M cume. Moviegoers are still finding it difficult to connect with the franchise, despite the presence of two local stars in key roles

Exactly! Call it nostalgia or appeal, but Star Wars has not connected with movie goers in China. They like Fast and Furious and Transformer type movies though. That's fine, guarantees we get lots of popcorn flicks until the U.S. decides to start a trade war with China. lol

I don't think Disney has too much to worry about here. If you exclude the Chinese market, RO beat CW internationally (CW did really, really well in China.) And the fact that Disney owns both, well...

I'm glad RO did well. The future of Star Wars anthology movies is secure and I'm happy about that.

Agree, don't need to worry about Disney

Rogue one

Dr strange

Civil war

Zootopia

Finding dory

Moana

Zootopia

Jungle book

Plus probably getting a piece of deadpool and the xmen movie

I don't know if Alice in wonderland or finest hours lost money, but they're prob ok

Crossed a billion. That's a big number to start off the spinoff/anthology/"star wars story" films.

Agree, don't need to worry about Disney

Rogue one

Dr strange

Civil war

Zootopia

Finding dory

Moana

Zootopia

Jungle book

Plus probably getting a piece of deadpool and the xmen movie

I don't know if Alice in wonderland or finest hours lost money, but they're prob ok

They set the Box office record in 2016 before Dr. Strange or Rogue One even came out. They are okay on the filmmaking end.

8 minutes ago, Agent 007 said:

Just rented it.  I did not like it.  long and boring.  The last 20 minutes was great with Vader doing his thing.  

Imagine the guys around the table in pre-production planning.  

"Guys, we've got carte blanche to use Darth Vader for a whole film. Darth Vader. For a whole film! Are we blessed or what! So, I propose 3 minutes screen time. Whaddaya think?"

Finally saw it last weekend.  I enjoyed it.  It's better than the prequels.  Fit nicely into the story.   The Vader scene at the end was great.  Made sense out of why the DS was so "easy" to destroy.   Like most movies these days, a bit too long.