• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most valuable Action Comics #1 reprint...
2 2

51 posts in this topic

Yup. It's actually Golde Age dimensions. Thats what makes them so cool to me.

Yeah! Those are probably the best reprints. I have the Bats. It's bigger sized than the traditional reprints.

Yeah. Those came with a statue, right?

Yeah. I need a Batman one. Have a Supes. Probably grab the Wonder Woman too.

I have copies of that too......Would it come back qualified if you took off the USPS overlay?

I have a copy of that slabbed, but kept on the USPS overlay. Came back blue label.

I just picked up this Action Comics #1 reprint up from an eBay seller.

Action%20Comics%201%20NM%201983%20Nestle%20Reprint_zpsdafgntj8.jpg

Action%20Comics%201%20NM%201983%20Nestle%20Reprint%20back_zpsosolmkzv.jpg

He had it advertised as the 1987 Nestle Quik reprint but I'm like "No, this one has the 10 cent cover price whereas the 1987 reprint is supposed to have the 50 cent cover price." So I'm thinking this is the 1983 Nestle Quik reprint. But then something totally threw me off.

In the indicia, it states "The inside front cover, Copyright 1983 DC Comics Inc. All Rights Reserved. The back cover, Copyright 1987 Nestle Foods Corporation. All Rights Reserved."

So if it's truly a 1983 reprint, then why is there a 1987 date in it??? Does that mean the BIP Comics "Guide to Action Comics #1 reprints" is wrong?

Edited by Shark

nah, they weren't a deal then... they are just more overpriced now! :)

I have 11 different reprints of Action 1:

1976 Safeguard

1976 "reprint of ..."

1983 BC =Peanut butter ad

1987 Quick

1988 "Fifty Years"

1988 UPC = barcode

1990 50 cent in white on black

1992 $1.00

1992 $0.10 in white on black

1993 No price 64 pages

1998 USPS

and counting . . .

and counting . . .

Resurrecting from the dead.

You can add another one:

2017 Loot Crate (64 page newsprint w/original ads)

With likely 500K copy print run, probably easy to find for cheap. :)

Alas, I'm still waiting for my Loot Crate box to arrive. :(

and counting . . .

Resurrecting from the dead.

You can add another one:

2017 Loot Crate (64 page newsprint w/original ads)

With likely 500K copy print run, probably easy to find for cheap. :)

Alas, I'm still waiting for my Loot Crate box to arrive. :(

Oh, cool! If it's lootcrate, should be able to pick one up for just a few bucks. I sold my USPS reprint a while back and subsequently regretted it.

Edit to add: Has anyone got one of these in hand yet to check the dimensions? Looking on eBay, they seem a little skinny/tall to me, more like a modern size, but I could be wrong.

Edited by F For Fake

The Lootcrate book is modern dimensions. It reprints the full issue with ads on newsprint. The colors come from a digital restoration of key Golden and Silver-Age books for the Mexican Liverpool department store chain, which is rereleasing lots of key issues in Spanish language, carefully relettered to match the original style. Because of the relettering, recoloring was a part of it. The Liverpool edition had a glossy cardstock cover, foil stamp, no cover price, and glossy interior pages. Full issue.

You can tell the Lootcrate is descended from the Liverpool because of the cover cropping (DC Mexico devised new cover cropping methods to get golden and silver age books to modern size) and the green necktie on Butch Mason. Except for Lootcrate and Liverpool, I believe the necktie has ALWAYS been red.

On the subject of international reprints, Eaglemoss also did reprints in multiple languages including English as an incentive for sub scripting to their trade paperback collections in Europe, Australia, and Latin America. Spanish, German, English, and -- I think -- French and Portuguese.

10 cent cover. Modern size. Black frame around the cover art identifying it as a collector's edition.

You can tell the Lootcrate is descended from the Liverpool because of the cover cropping (DC Mexico devised new cover cropping methods to get golden and silver age books to modern size) and the green necktie on Butch Mason. Except for Lootcrate and Liverpool, I believe the necktie has ALWAYS been red.

His tie is also green on the cover of the 1998 USPS reprint. (Of course, it's hard to tell sometimes since the half-cover overlay usually obscures it.