• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

I finished my analysis of the Star Wars title numbers in November and December:

Darth Vader's Absence Sinks Star Wars in November

Yoda Lifts Star Wars Out of the Bog in December

For December 2016 sales, I think Marvel probably did either deep discounting or free overships of Star Wars #26.

If those are all actual sales, it doesn't make sense that Batman #13 ($2.99, 108K est. units) is at #9 in dollar rankings while Star Wars #26 ($3.99, 104K est. units) is only at #10.

Good point. Let me do more research on this and change the posting accordingly. Thank you for reminding me of this.

Does anyone know how much of over-ship we are talking about? 10%? 20%? More? I see Bleeding Cool has an article that mentions 50%, but I have a hard time believing that is the case, but it very well could be.

Edited by rjrjr

I finished my analysis of the Star Wars title numbers in November and December:

Darth Vader's Absence Sinks Star Wars in November

Yoda Lifts Star Wars Out of the Bog in December

For December 2016 sales, I think Marvel probably did either deep discounting or free overships of Star Wars #26.

If those are all actual sales, it doesn't make sense that Batman #13 ($2.99, 108K est. units) is at #9 in dollar rankings while Star Wars #26 ($3.99, 104K est. units) is only at #10.

Good point. Let me do more research on this and change the posting accordingly. Thank you for reminding me of this.

Does anyone know how much of over-ship we are talking about? 10%? 20%? More? I see Bleeding Cool has an article that mentions 50%, but I have a hard time believing that is the case, but it very well could be.

Gonna be hard to pinpoint a figure since Dollar Rank #11 is Hulk #1 ($3.99) which also overshipped. Probably the next most accurate point of comparison is Walking Dead #161 ($2.99) at #12 so you've got quite a spread. Probably less than 50% although 50% would actually still fit within the charts. 105K / 150% = 70,000

I'm guessing you're probably looking at somewhere between 70-80K units without the overship.

Issue             Est. units   Cover x Est. units 
9. Batman #13          108,407        $324,137 
10. Star Wars #26       104,563        $417,206 
11. Hulk #1              89,810        $358,342 
12. Walking Dead #161    85,459        $255,522 
13. ASM #22              63,359        $252,802 

Edited by aerischan

2 hours ago, the authority said:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-02.html

God Country #2 distribution was higher than #1. Not unheard of but this doesn't seem to happen a whole lot with the 2nd issue of many books.

Interesting. Usually orders for 2 drop off a lot. That's really remarkable in this current market. Either speculators continue on this book which I doubt or they just didn't purchase a lot.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Interesting. Usually orders for 2 drop off a lot. That's really remarkable in this current market. Either speculators continue on this book which I doubt or they just didn't purchase a lot.

Perhaps some of the speculators have gotten burned on some titles that never went anywhere. :p 

March numbers

Books that stood out to me.

X-O Manowar #1 at number 12 is sky high for a Valiant book. The original run was fun, may be time to try this out one more time.

Extremity #1 comes in over 17,000 which is a middle of the road Image release by the numbers.

God Country #3 still outsold issue #1. This is a digital, can't wait for the book read for me. Beautiful, powerful, and fun.

Grass Kings #1 came in at a little over 13,000 distributed. Biggest surprise of the month and the book has enormous potential. Take into account that there were 3 covers for the book and you'd know that at least one of the covers came in at under 5,000 copies. If they were equally distributed, 4,500 to 5,000 will be the range for all. Hopefully this is a long term ongoing series. 

Marvel and DC numbers are crazy low on somebooks. These are the kind of lulls where you can find diamonds in the rough if any of these books turn out to be 1st appearances, etc.

Speaking of distribution, can anyone tell me the approximate run on Final Crisis 3 JG Jones cover featuring Supergirl ? I understand why the LoSH #23 AH! cover brings so much money. I'm guessing distribution on this one must have been huge to hold the price down. Any help ?

Supergirl cover

On 2017-04-12 at 11:19 AM, the authority said:

Speaking of distribution, can anyone tell me the approximate run on Final Crisis 3 JG Jones cover featuring Supergirl ? I understand why the LoSH #23 AH! cover brings so much money. I'm guessing distribution on this one must have been huge to hold the price down. Any help ?

The Final Crisis covers were 50/50.

it tells you which way readership is going and at what speed. If a book has an issue #1 with a print run of say 5 times issue #20, you shouldn't have a hard time figuring the vast majority who initially bought the comic didn't like it. if there are more books than readers, issue #1 should be readily available. Keep in mind that there are always more early issue collectors than the late ones. Issue #1 is likely to be worth at least double of say issue #10 as a rule. There are anomalies and sometimes an issue #181 is worth more than an issue #4 due to the events of the story itself or a certain cover that pushes desirability.

On the other side of that coin, if a book grows in readership like The Walking Dead or Saga, its a strong indicator that you might want to get on board early. Supply and demand. Knowing which way a book's readership is heading is more than half the fight. Supply and demand. Simple as that....except when it isn't. lol

American Gods #2 at 33k seems really high. Big hit for Dark Horse.

Redneck #1 is higher than God Country #1 and remember, two covers for GC and one for Redneck.

I Hate Fairyland #12 at 20k. Surprising hit.

X-O Manowar goes from 60k for #1 to 20k for #2. I think that's a good indication of readership and what a high incentive cover can do for sales.