• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about a Dan DeCarlo thread?
1 1

173 posts in this topic

Dan was one of the few golden age artists who regularly signed his work (not at first, but later). I can only think of a few others: Bill Everett, Russ Heath, Joe Kubert, Alex (Xela) Schomburg, Joe Maneely...Matt Baker (sometimes), and of course, the stable of EC artists... I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

But Dan's signature was always clear as day, where most of the other guys kept them hidden around the art.

Edited by Iksar

Scan-131220-0036_zpsd11ce11b.jpg

This is the highest graded copy of any of the three Jetta issues.

Another boardie and I are debating the likelihood that any high-grade copies of any of the issues exist. Anyone ever seen one?

It is highly likely that a lot of Baker's, Jetta's, and other DeCarlo stuff are sitting in long forgotten boxes in the homes of inactive collectors. There are probably more inactive collectors than active collectors out there. I was an inactive collector twice in my 53 year span as a comic collector. The inactive's do not know what is hot, cold, or anything else...and usually have a price guide that is at least 10 years old. When these people hit a serious retirement age, look for all the good romance and teen stuff to come out of the woodwork. hm

This has been post #2998 on the way to 3000. Read them all... :cool:

Edited by tricolorbrian

It is highly likely that a lot of Baker's, Jetta's, and other DeCarlo stuff are sitting in long forgotten boxes in the homes of inactive collectors. There are probably more inactive collectors than active collectors out there.

I second this sentiment, as a recently re-engaged or recovering inactive collector myself.

Another boardie and I are debating the likelihood that any high-grade copies of any of the issues exist. Anyone ever seen one?

The 1977 Mile High Church list has numbers 5 and 6 as fines...

The 1977 Mile High Church list has numbers 5 and 6 as fines...

Another indication, I think, of the genuine scarcity of these books in high grade. I would guess that distribution was very poor.

It is highly likely that a lot of Baker's, Jetta's, and other DeCarlo stuff are sitting in long forgotten boxes in the homes of inactive collectors. There are probably more inactive collectors than active collectors out there.

I second this sentiment, as a recently re-engaged or recovering inactive collector myself.

We've had this "unknown OO collections" discussion a number of times. With each year that passes, it becomes less likely that there are many still to be found. Particularly since eBay's been going strong for more than 15 years and all the media attention to comics generally and high-dollar comic sales in particular.

Wrt to Jettas, it's certainly possible that a high-grade copy or two is out there, but I think they are genuinely scarce in high grade and it's certainly possible that no high-grade copies have survived. Just as I think it's possible that no high-grade copies of certain Baker books have survived.

Most of the time when books heat up, additional copies are flushed out as people see high prices on eBay and dealers start to beat the bushes. We've seen some lower-grade copies surface, but no high grade ones.

I'd love for a few high-grades to become available, but I'm not sure they're out there.

I wasn't talking about OO collections...I was talking about inactive collector's collections. Who knows...I guess we'll find out in a few years... hm

We've been surprised before by stuff suddenly appearing, sometimes with no public backstory.

Part of the problem with these books is that teen humor was until relatively recently not a heck of a lot more collectible than romance comics. Even Archies can be pretty scarce in high grade.

I know...I've got a Wilbur that I once considered giving away. lol Not anymore...and yes, I know it's not a DeCarlo...

24181097185_6077038e0d_c.jpg

:gossip: That's not a DeCarlo.

I said that... :makepoint:

I only look at the pictures; I don't read the words. :sorry:

one of my all time favorite comic books, there is a photo of a cover to the issue that was never produced or survived ...it is in the jetta book....super condition, cong...the lost 4th issue..any chances the art for that issue is around????

Edited by Mmehdy

I have to admit that in an effort to narrow the old collecting focus a bit, I've jumped off the DeCarlo bandwagon. But I sent this one in for grading and it turned out pretty well. It's now the highest graded, ahead of three 4.0s. 

Still waiting for Brian's band of wizened collectors to uncork their hoards of 9.2s. :)

61044f02-278e-4f48-b780-b3fbffb00658_zps