• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed or Torn ? Poll in Thread

Was this book trimmed and then torn to remove the trimming?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Was this book trimmed and then torn to remove the trimming?

30 posts in this topic

I was looking up AF15's and after viewing a recent "Please Grade My...." thread on the boards I began to look at books a new way and I want to say that is not in a good way.

Take a look at this AF15. As we know, many AF15's were trimmed to make the Marvel Chipping go away. Trimming is a form of restoration. The book I am about to show you sits in a blue label CGC book. I am not making any allegations that the seller tampered with the book in any way shape or form.

So is this AF15 a product of tearing away the trim job and trying to pass it off as extreme Marvel chipping?

However... as I said... this thread really got to me, especially this POST where the owner of that book mentions,

Also, if one edge is trimmed, and obviously so, what is to stop you from carefully tearing the edge to remove the trim. That would then be treated as an unrestored book wouldn't it? Seems drastic, but the difference in restored and unrestored price wise is huge. You could pass it off as marvel chipping.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-21%20at%208.53.49%20PM.png

This was tampering. The top corner was torn off while the paper was still supple. There are also two very straight edges, from Spidey's foot to his knee, and from the CCA box to the issue number.

If I had to guess, the original owner was a kid who did this to even out the Marvel chipping, but didn't have a straight edge or scissors handy... so I guess I vote crack :)

Book is not a 1.0. It is a bit 'higher' and it was not noted as restored or qualified.

To clarify, I'd consider it a 1.0. If CGC gave it any more than a 1.5, they were choosing the "crack" option.

Book is not a 1.0. It is a bit 'higher' and it was not noted as restored or qualified.

To clarify, I'd consider it a 1.0. If CGC gave it any more than a 1.5, they were choosing the "crack" option.

Crack it is

It has been listed numerous times and so far hasn't sold (on a site that won't be named as a courtesy to the OP since he didn't specify where it is being offered).

The edge has always looked suspicious to me every time I look at it.

Very possible it has been strategically torn to "undo" trimming.

It has been listed numerous times and so far hasn't sold (on a site that won't be named as a courtesy to the OP since he didn't specify where it is being offered).

No, no you've got it wrong. The picture posted by Buzzetta is not my AF15! My scans have come off for some reason. My book is not CGC graded. This is why I posted today, as the thread makes it look like it's my book. This is really unfair!

No, no you've got it wrong. The picture posted by Buzzetta is not my AF15! My scans have come off for some reason. My book is not CGC graded. This is why I posted today, as the thread makes it look like it's my book. This is really unfair!

I didn't say it was your AF15.

The picture that Buzzetta posted is up on another website.

The book Buzzetta posted is a CGC copy.

I didn't say it was your AF15.

The picture that Buzzetta posted is up on another website.

The book Buzzetta posted is a CGC copy.

Sorry! I've misread this. My mistake Jordysnordy.

I did not post the whereabouts of the listing nor the seller. I find the seller to be reputable and do not believe that they would engage in that behavior.

Thanks Jordy for not putting it in this thread as I wouldn't want a google search to link the seller and the questions raised here potentially harming the seller's reputation.