• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

These Flash Gordon pins would appeal a lot to a friend of mine which is an expert on syndicated strips of the 1930s… :)

This is an old blog he used to keep a few years ago:

http://annitrenta.blogspot.it/

He is a comics critic and fiction writer and together with other two acquaintances of mine he wrote a book on the history of italian comics publishing during the two decades of fascist government.

Bravo, RobotMan! Truly wonderful pieces all. (worship)

I knew you'd have some killer games, and a great range, too, going all the way back to the Sunday funnies heyday with Harold Teen. Nice. The Superman examples make my mouth water, but I think that Popeye game board is my favorite. It reminds me of an old premium map. Awesome piece!

I never find examples like that, even in the wee hours before the markets open. It seems 60's and up are all the toy collector's syndicate allows to make it to market. You can find all the Kreskin's ESP you want!

Still, I have a fairly colorful display of games in my outbuilding of childhood classics like Twister, Radio Football, Lie Detector, Mouse Trap, Radar Search, Bash, Green Ghost, and of course Ker-Plunk! I love the assault of color and the rush of memories you get from such arrangements.

I don't really go for the games I had as a kid. I do have a few like Hogan's Heroes, Addams Family and of course the Weird oh's that I posted. I prefer the color and graphics of the older ones that are before my time. The Popeye is also one of my favorites. I recently found another incomplete one and used the parts to complete this one.

I will agree, stuff like this is pretty hard to find in the wild any more but it does happen if you work hard enough at it.

You mentioned premium maps. I love those too and have quite a few nice ones. Here is a recent one my wife found at an estate sale for me. I have a bunch of the bread stickers that were to be adhered around it but am on the fence if I want to do it or not. So just framed it to the edge of the map for now.

disneymap_zpst0lt1rnp.jpg

I don't really go for the games I had as a kid. I do have a few like Hogan's Heroes, Addams Family and of course the Weird oh's that I posted. I prefer the color and graphics of the older ones that are before my time. The Popeye is also one of my favorites. I recently found another incomplete one and used the parts to complete this one.

I will agree, stuff like this is pretty hard to find in the wild any more but it does happen if you work hard enough at it.

You mentioned premium maps. I love those too and have quite a few nice ones. Here is a recent one my wife found at an estate sale for me. I have a bunch of the bread stickers that were to be adhered around it but am on the fence if I want to do it or not. So just framed it to the edge of the map for now.

disneymap_zpst0lt1rnp.jpg

Very cool!

This 1936 book has the origin of Swee Pea!

popeyesweetpeabook_zpsbqvbi5hc.jpg

What a weird-@$$ cover! Alice the Goon as the baby nurse. Strange stuff coming out of the Depression days...

(Yes - I'm really snooping around this many posts ago! I can't help it, lured in, as it seems, by the breadth of your eclectic assemblage!) :whistle: